Minnesota Vikings 2021 Training camp

Sad People

I have not seen a reputable source saying Vikings approached Cousins this offseason to extend his contract and lower his cap hit. 

Doesn't mean it didn't occur but no real source reported this. 

Cousins is all about himself (money and no vax) and he has every right to conduct himself that way. Vikings have every right to remove Cousins from the team (and accept the cap/play consequences that come with that decision).

Hate that we extended him, I don't believe in him & I want him off the team ASAP.

Cousins made it 16 games last year while Covid was running wild throughout last season. I trust that he knows what to do and to make sure he does it again. 

I think we're going to miss his durability once he's gone. It's not like we've had good QB's since we lost Favre to retirement.

Edited by TENINCH
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think we're going to miss his durability once he's gone. It's not like we've had good QB's since we lost Favre to retirement.

I've always said Kirk Cousins' most underrated trait is availability. He consistently gets ranked behind QBs that he has statistically outperformed, like Stafford and Carr, and lacks their injury issues. He's probably a top 15 QB, but he has never gotten hurt so his value is more like Top 10.

But COVID could completely null and void this. In the most important year for him, Zimmer, and Spielman.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 3

I think one thing that’s being lost in this story is that the NFL protocols worked (or would have if they were followed).

The Vikings had an unvaccinated player test positive, and that player was in close contact with two other unvaccinated players who tested negative. Given the nature of position group meetings, I’d bet that it’s safe to assume that they were in close proximity long enough for transmission to occur.

Had the proper social distancing protocol been observed, no one from that meeting room would have missed time, other than the player who tested positive. That’s a good sign for the NFL that the protocols in place, if correctly followed, should work. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Such as what? Outside of the vaccine issue. 

I believe I explained it in that paragraph how I believe his actions run contrary to what he says.  Now, it is just a perception I have, and I think I also indicated that in that response.  Maybe I expect too much of him because I want him to be that guy that other players gravitate to and want to follow...I think they like him well enough, but when the chips are down, I don't see them looking to him for guidance and I don't see him wanting to do that.  Maybe it's just a poor perception, I don't know.  I like Kirk and I don't think he gets enough respect for his play around the league, but I can also see sort of why he doesn't, since I find myself so conflicted with and about him...on both a personal and play level.     

https://theathletic.com/2754382/2021/08/05/graff-kirk-cousins-is-in-a-new-bubble-dodging-both-reality-and-responsibility-for-the-vikings/?source=user_shared_article

Cousins is sticking to his guns, and that’s fine. There are plenty within the team with strong feelings against the vaccine, so Cousins certainly isn’t alone. But at some point, he has to be accountable for his decision. Cousins has missed more than half of training camp so far. Contrary to what he’d have you believe, it’s because of his personal choices, not the dimensions of a meeting room.“

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

https://theathletic.com/2754382/2021/08/05/graff-kirk-cousins-is-in-a-new-bubble-dodging-both-reality-and-responsibility-for-the-vikings/?source=user_shared_article

Cousins is sticking to his guns, and that’s fine. There are plenty within the team with strong feelings against the vaccine, so Cousins certainly isn’t alone. But at some point, he has to be accountable for his decision. Cousins has missed more than half of training camp so far. Contrary to what he’d have you believe, it’s because of his personal choices, not the dimensions of a meeting room.“

Didn't training camp just start not that long ago? 

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Browning didn’t miss time. So…

And good for him. Now, hopefully, the team will be more diligent in following the protocols that the league has put in place so that none of their other players will miss time when they don’t have too.

47 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes. It’s been a week. The wording was chosen intentionally for dramatic effect. 

It’s also a true statement. And no other starting QB in the league has missed time due to COVID or vaccination status. Any time missed, especially time missed which was entirely preventable, puts the team at a competitive disadvantage. 

Edit: Lamar Jackson has also missed time for Covid protocols. So two have. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1