The Latest on Aaron Rodgers

soulman

1 hour ago, soulman said:

As long as Rodgers is helping them win they'll just shut up and pretend they never said what they said when he was playing hard to get.  This much I'm relatively sure of.

Actually this isnt true at all.

Well prior to this off seasons antics, Rodgers has come in for quite a bit of questioning - as well as praise when warranted. Certainly all Packer fans welcome and recognize his contributions but the ones on the Packer Forum dont worship the ground he walks on. We can and have been critical - in a good way (as opposed to some internet jerks) as well. 

I think the training (if you would.....) for that type perspective is an outgrowth of Favre. Certainly someone who hit many high's - no question about that - but who also laid more than his fair share of really bad eggs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Actually this isnt true at all.

Well prior to this off seasons antics, Rodgers has come in for quite a bit of questioning - as well as praise when warranted. Certainly all Packer fans welcome and recognize his contributions but the ones on the Packer Forum dont worship the ground he walks on. We can and have been critical - in a good way (as opposed to some internet jerks) as well. 

I think the training (if you would.....) for that type perspective is an outgrowth of Favre. Certainly someone who hit many high's - no question about that - but who also laid more than his fair share of really bad eggs.

There are always exceptions to the rule but having lived in and around Green Bay for over 15 years and still having many friends and family there I'm not missing the mark by all that much.  And I never said anyone worshiped the ground he walks on only that much of what's been said (including in your forum) especially about his desire to leave and being in favor of it will submerge now that he's back in the fold.

To be honest from a distance what's happening actually triggers some memories of the Favre drama as well.

Give us your honest opinion on what you believe what might happen in 2022 if Rodgers isn't traded in the offeseason.  He's under contract now through 2022 so will be play out his contract in "The Tundra" or will he expect to be traded next winter and if not will we all be treated to a similar standoff?  IMHO this is where the potential for things to get somewhat "Favre like" again come into play and it's will he or won't he all over again.

16 minutes ago, soulman said:

There are always exceptions to the rule but having lived in and around Green Bay for over 15 years and still having many friends and family there I'm not missing the mark by all that much.  And I never said anyone worshiped the ground he walks on only that much of what's been said (including in your forum) especially about his desire to leave and being in favor of it will submerge now that he's back in the fold.

To be honest from a distance what's happening actually triggers some memories of the Favre drama as well.

Give us your honest opinion on what you believe what might happen in 2022 if Rodgers isn't traded in the offeseason.  He's under contract now through 2022 so will be play out his contract in "The Tundra" or will he expect to be traded next winter and if not will we all be treated to a similar standoff?  IMHO this is where the potential for things to get somewhat "Favre like" again come into play and it's will he or won't he all over again.

I'm not going to challenge your perception of Packers fans. It's entirely unnecessary. The point of my comment is the group collected at the Packer forum havent abandoned their critical thinking when it comes to any player. It's not a Glee Club.

The greatest "angst" expressed by those in the Packers forum was the entire never ending affair was fueled by innuendo, conjecture, 2nd and 3rd hand opinions and pure fantasy and the "bones of contention" were laughable  Rodgers himself *purposefully* said very little - which over time wasnt appreciated by the fans. It became a sports/social media feeding frenzy.

The only similarity that I see to the Farve period is the closing of a long and storied career. The specifics of how each player performed and conducted themselves is radically different.

As for what the future holds - I dont know. I suspect he'll leave - but its still an open question. His cost has ballooned nicely....and combined with the cap crunch put on every team by COVID - it couldnt have come at a worst time. Oh well. We'll deal with it. I'm a confident supporter of the GB front office. They've proven to know what they're up to. Perfect they're not - but they've successfully guided the team to continued success. 

I didnt foresee the drafting of Love - but if he in fact proves to have the goods, it was a prudent move IMO. Although Rodgers slippage in play may have been welcomed on many NFL teams - it was completely out of character for him, noticeable and it raised enough questions to warrant the selection. If there's one characteristic of recent GB history it's that they've properly addressed the most important position on the field: QB. Perhaps they've done it again. We dont know yet but will remain hopeful until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'm not going to challenge your perception of Packers fans. It's entirely unnecessary.

A perception based upon years of personal experience isn't the same as one gleaned from reading a few posts or articles in the media.  And I never implied that you should dispose of critical thinking.  If anything this should sharpen it.  Besides, how it's being seen is not necessarily a negative as opposed to simply being the way it is.  "Winning is the only thing" has been a mantra ever since the days of Lombardi which I was a part of as well.

Having now read more about the supposed agreement between the parties I believe that the Packer front office was eventually faced with making significant concessions in order to assure Rodgers would play in GB in 2021 and that he can very likely expect to be traded to a team of his own choosing in 2022.  Other factors are involved but this one should assure 2022 will not be a repeat of 2021 and therefore not "Favre like".

Whatever other financial adjustments are being made are so far undisclosed but it appears to me like this compromise gives both Rodgers and Guntekunst what they wanted.  Aaron gets some potential help in trying to bring one more Lombardi Trophy home to GB then moves on allowing Guntekunst more cap space and whatever picks he can acquire in trade to build around Love or another as of yet undetermined QB.  It's the NFL "cycle of life".

• Like 1

“I think sometimes people forget what really makes an organization,” Rodgers said at the time. “History is important, the legacy of so many people who’ve come before you. But the people, that’s the most important thing. People make an organization. People make a business, and sometimes that gets forgotten. Culture is built brick by brick, the foundation of it by the people, not by the organization, not by the building, not by the corporation. It’s built by the people.”.....Aaron Rodgers

I'm gonna close out my comments in this thread by recognizing what Rodgers had to say here as being spot on and worth remembering.  It reminds me of my own years working in Green Bay for a company I spent 13 years with working my way up through the ranks along with many others to my eventual management position.

When the owner and CEO retired turning management over to younger family members who had a much different philosophy the handwriting was on the wall and I quickly read the hand they were about to play and resigned.  Over the next 2-3 years virtually every manager and line worker who had spent the past decade and more building that company into a multi-million dollar business was gone either via resignation or termination.

By year five the company was nearly in bankruptcy and managed to stay afloat just long enough to be sold to an outside organization after being an employee owned company for over 30 years.  It was once the biggest most successful lab in Wisconsin and the UP.  Today it barely exists and all because those who ran it failed to understand exactly what Aaron Rodgers has said here.  It's the people who make any business great.

I'm not all that unhappy Rodgers finally agreed to return for one more shot at a ring and a Lombardi Trophy for Green Bay. That would make two daughters and my grandson along with quite a few old friends very happy.  And I would rather we challenge them one more time while they're still at the top of their game if only because I sense the winds of change are about to blow more strongly than they have many times over the past several decades.  Strong competition in the NFCN only makes better for all four teams in the long run and our time is coming up again.

I will never be an Aaron Rodgers fan or care much for his ego and yet I do respect him as an NFL player and one of the best to ever play the game as well as for his stance and take on the Packer organization.  Arrogance can be a two way street and in their own way both are guilty of that. If this serves to take the GB Front Office down a notch that can only be a good thing for them in the long run.  Other than Packer fans I don't know whether or not a clear winner emerged from all of this but at least each side seems to be getting whatever it is they bargained for.

Now let's go out and show Aaron the door with two losses to the Bears to send him on his way west.  😎

On 7/28/2021 at 5:53 AM, RunningVaccs said:

Ha,  never heard of that guy?

You're on, happy to send some spirits north if wrong!

What's the Pack fan take on Love though?

Who knows?  Nobody outside of that building has seen Love attempt a pass until yesterday's first TC practice.

• Like 1

I have time to digest that presser. My thoughts are this teams chemistry is gone.  If you’re devonte adams. You’re not getting that extension because the packers are paying Randal Cobb that money to appease Aaron.  I can’t wait for the first time Aaron disagrees with the play calling this season. The drama is going to kill this team. They have little chance at a Super Bowl.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Who knows?  Nobody outside of that building has seen Love attempt a pass until yesterday's first TC practice.

What are your thoughts on that press conference?   Wow.  That was something else.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, soulman said:

Nothin' but the best brother.  You can even take your pick.  😁

2014-01-16-bummain.jpg

Those are more in my wheelhouse, price-wise...😁

On 7/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, CBears019 said:

Well it was fun while it lasted, but i guess we should have known all along he wasn’t going to leave the packers that easily.  Maybe next year.

Huh? I'm actually stupefied  by the whole thing. It was pretty clear that Rodgers intended to leave the Packers forever. Just what concessions management agreed to...well, that's an interesting subject. They already acquired Cobb, which is weird, as they could have got an even better player. 

But everybody saying Rodgers is one and done in Green Bay...forget it. He wouldn't have agreed to this if it was a short term thing. Everybody saying Adams is as good as gone...forget that, as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I have time to digest that presser. My thoughts are this teams chemistry is gone.  If you’re devonte adams. You’re not getting that extension because the packers are paying Randal Cobb that money to appease Aaron.  I can’t wait for the first time Aaron disagrees with the play calling this season. The drama is going to kill this team. They have little chance at a Super Bowl.  

It's funny how stuff like this works.  Once Rodgers agreed to return all of a sudden Davonte Adams seems willing to negotiate again.  And I just spoke with my best friend up in GB who believes Cobb is spent and that signing him won't help Rodgers or the offense nearly as much as Rodgers believes he will.  In both cases this seems to be more about cronyism than what may be best for the Packers and another run at a Lombardi Trophy.

All of this may "poison the well" or it may end up becoming a "Rodgers Last Stand" kinda deal where everyone plays their respective ***** off one more time simply because it benefits them to do that.  We'll all know soon enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

What are your thoughts on that press conference?   Wow.  That was something else.

All he wants, it seemed to me, is a voice in personnel discussions.  With his perspective as a player in the locker room all these years he can bring a different POV to management.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

That same building decided Love wasn't even good enough to beat out Boyle (who?) for the #2 spot and that says alot.

Now, was that due to COVID....we'll see. But that doesn't exactly scream optimism, either.

EDIT: And lets be honest, the only reason he's taking snaps is because Arod's been absent.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

All he wants, it seemed to me, is a voice in personnel discussions.  With his perspective as a player in the locker room all these years he can bring a different POV to management.  

I don’t like Rodgers, but I don’t disagree that given his position and longevity he is not to be treated like every other player.

He should be in loop and asked his opinion on things and treated with respect and not like a grunt.  

• Like 2