Eagles sign CB Steven Nelson

EaglesPeteC

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Imagine hating life so much that the fact that the Eagles’ might win a few more games and be more enjoyable to watch for a couple extra Sundays is upsetting to you 

….but also want THAT and also KNOW that being bad doesn’t ensure you to be any better the following year. Confusing. 

15 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Imagine hating life so much that the fact that the Eagles’ might win a few more games and be more enjoyable to watch for a couple extra Sundays is upsetting to you 

Makes no sense at all. I still can't understand how anyone is against this move. 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Cool beans!

I understood both arguments from people that wanted to make this signing and those that didn't care and could've lived without it. I leaned toward wanting this signing just cause I don't want to have to see us struggle so bad on one side that it makes playing defense that much harder and the product on the field even more frustrating than it needs to be. 

Like I know we are all fairly young, but I don't want to completely waste one of the years I do have to watch and support the Eagles.

I don't want to watch a poor product if I don't have to. I'm tired of bad CB play.

Plus, its not like there is necessarily someone worth 'tanking for.

If we didn't make this signing and Darius Slay was to get injured and miss extended time this secondary would be utterly dog crap.

Now, at least now we have some depth and don't have to force a square peg into a round hole with Maddox on the outside.

We don't have to rush a 4th round rookie CB into starting if he's not ready.

Someone will end up being worth tanking for. A pass rusher or some QB will end up separating themselves from the pack.
Even with this signing, if Slay goes down, we probably look like crap. We might look like crap with a healthy Slay and Nelson both on the field. Slay's play fell off a cliff after DK treated him like a Houston area massage therapist, and maybe a little before that beat down. The first 3 or 4 or 5 games were nice, but then he went full Schwartz.

Edited by Jeezla

21 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Someone will end up being worth tanking for. A pass rusher or some QB will end up separating themselves from the pack.
Even with this signing, if Slay goes down, we probably look like crap. We might look like crap with a healthy Slay and Nelson both on the field. Slay's play fell off a cliff after DK treated him like a Houston area massage therapist, and maybe a little before that beat down. The first 3 or 4 or 5 games were nice, but then he went full Schwartz.

characters GIF

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Someone will end up being worth tanking for.

Eh. That's not the case every year. Don't let Burrow/Lawrence the past 2 years fool you.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

A pass rusher or some QB will end up separating themselves from the pack.

I like Thibodeaux (won't be a better prospect than Chase Young/Nick Bosa imo) and Stingley a lot.

But, I'm of the opinion the only position you really tank for is a QB.

Maybe Rattler if can speed up his process and be more consistent (less bad decisions/trusting his arm), then maybe he could be worth it.

The problem you have with that is even without Nelson it would be hard for us to be worse than the Texans, especially if Watson isn't playing.

Not sure we'll be worse than the Lions, Jets, and maybe a couple others either.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Even with this signing, if Slay goes down, we probably look like crap. We might look like crap with a healthy Slay and Nelson both on the field.

Then, you shouldn't be worried about this signing making us competitive lol.

I thought it was ridiculous when you were insinuating earlier that a solid/average #2 corner would make a 2 game win difference.

Ohtani's WAR (Wins Above Replacement) in baseball is 6.7 and that's over 100 games so far and being a great pitcher AND hitter.

There is no WAR stat in football (I think PFF is trying to do one), but if there was I'm not sure there would be an Eagle defensive player even at 1.0 WAR (considering only 17 games) except maybe Cox if he's healthy and rolling?

• Like 1

I don't think people understand that the coaches and players jobs are on the line. They aren't just going to go into a year conceding that they will be awful. This is not Madden where you trade all your players and tank a season so you can rebuild the team. It's still a business. I know some of you are more obsessed with the draft and free agency than the actual season. I can't take this argument seriously. 

59 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I don't think people understand that the coaches and players jobs are on the line. They aren't just going to go into a year conceding that they will be awful. This is not Madden where you trade all your players and tank a season so you can rebuild the team. It's still a business. I know some of you are more obsessed with the draft and free agency than the actual season. I can't take this argument seriously. 

It would be hilarious if Siriani got fired after 1 season

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Eh. That's not the case every year. Don't let Burrow/Lawrence the past 2 years fool you.

I like Thibodeaux (won't be a better prospect than Chase Young/Nick Bosa imo) and Stingley a lot.

But, I'm of the opinion the only position you really tank for is a QB.

Maybe Rattler if can speed up his process and be more consistent (less bad decisions/trusting his arm), then maybe he could be worth it.

The problem you have with that is even without Nelson it would be hard for us to be worse than the Texans, especially if Watson isn't playing.

Not sure we'll be worse than the Lions, Jets, and maybe a couple others either.

Then, you shouldn't be worried about this signing making us competitive lol.

I thought it was ridiculous when you were insinuating earlier that a solid/average #2 corner would make a 2 game win difference.

Ohtani's WAR (Wins Above Replacement) in baseball is 6.7 and that's over 100 games so far and being a great pitcher AND hitter.

There is no WAR stat in football (I think PFF is trying to do one), but if there was I'm not sure there would be an Eagle defensive player even at 1.0 WAR (considering only 17 games) except maybe Cox if he's healthy and rolling?

keeping Maddox off the field gotta be worth 2 wins
it's not that hard to be worse than the Texans/Jets/Etc. Get a bunch of injuries to good players, and have Hurts play all year like he did in the 2nd half of games.

Edited by Jeezla

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

To me the keys to what our record ultimately will be fall squarely on Hurts and Sirianni as a playcaller. 
Like we might as well keep pushing the rest of the roster to be ready to compete. Like with Nelson we get to see if he's worth a bigger investment next year, they get to play Zech at his own pace which is something a lot of our young corners the past decade haven't had, we get a year of Maddox in the proper position. A bunch of stuff like that.

If Hurts isn't the guy it'll be fine, plenty of other options next year.
 I'd rather see Sirianni trying to win games to see what he's got now. Doug lacked the ability of really making his own offense, will Nick be the same? 
Stuff like will he play like a coward like one of the more popular coaching trees (whole Shanahan tree) seems to? I want to know this stuff now. 

39 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Yeah I mean, how dare the Eagles not do what you want? You definitely know better than experts. 

No, I mean giving Nick 1 year with Jalen Hurts as his QB and then firing him would be ridiculous unless he does the worst coaching job we've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

keeping Maddox off the field gotta be worth 2 wins

lol... you think McPhearson beats him out? I have a feeling Avonte will be starting in the slot at least to begin the season.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

it's not that hard to be worse than the Texans/Jets/Etc. Get a bunch of injuries to good players, and have Hurts play all year like he did in the 2nd half of games.

Texans roster makes ours look good, especially when you take Watson out of the equation.

But, of course anything can happen with injuries. 

It doesn't mean a ton, but we do have the easiest strength of schedule on paper (thanks NFC East) while the Lions have 6th hardest and Jets/Texans are middle of the pack.