NBA Summer League Thread

NYRaider

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Ah that makes sense and I don't know why that is cause Green seems like the more flashy player on and off the court (look at his suit on draft day lol), but I digress. So, do you think in the future if guys are making the choice they should still pick college over G-League?

Because Cade Cunningham was hyped up by ESPN all year as a Luka Doncic/LeBron James level prospect. That exposure alone made him much more marketable to casual fans than a guy like Green who most people really didn't see play much, if at all, last season. It's the same reason Zion got a $10M/yr deal from Nike before even stepping foot on an NBA court. Him playing at Duke on national television basically every game made him a household name and it's much easier for Nike to promote a guy like that then someone most casual fans aren't that familiar with. 

With the NIL in place now I think major college basketball is definitely the better route to go. The main appeal of the G-League Ignite team was that guys could get paid for a year before entering the draft. The top prospects will make more money playing at a major college basketball program then they would playing for Ignite. Playing for a major college program also gives guys a huge platform and they get 100x the exposure in college in comparison to the G-League. 

College also provides a safety net because guys are able to return to school if they're not ready to make the leap and want to improve their draft stock. For the G-League guys that weren't taken in the first round, they basically got one swing at it and are now going to be fighting to earn a roster spot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Have you seen Niang try to play defense? lol 

Yeah he's meh, but its better than Gelo.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

100% it was great for his development, especially as you said doing it overseas from such a young age. He bounced around a ton during his pre-NBA career but I think that definitely made him a lot mentally tougher more than anything. 

Definitely agree here.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Lakers were a terrible team for Lonzo to end up with, particularly because of how much pressure Lavar put on him with his outrageous predictions and statements about how great Lonzo would be. He had a target on his back from day one playing for the Lakers and as a guy that was expected to be a franchise changing talent from day one. Playing in LA is tough, especially when you're supposed to be a key piece playing with LeBron. Lonzo is good, I think a lot of his struggles have been more mental than anything. 

Yeah, I think Lavar probably wishes he went about all that differently with Zo. He was noticeably quieter when Melo's turn came around. Tatum would've been perfect here, but Boston never would've traded down if they thought we wanted him. They knew we were hot for Zo and made a savvy trade to pick up assets and still get their guy. But, man Tatum playing for the team he wanted to play for as a kid taking over the year after his idol hung it up would've been something. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Because Cade Cunningham was hyped up by ESPN all year as a Luka Doncic/LeBron James level prospect. That exposure alone made him much more marketable to casual fans than a guy like Green who most people really didn't see play much, if at all, last season. It's the same reason Zion got a $10M/yr deal from Nike before even stepping foot on an NBA court. Him playing at Duke on national television basically every game made him a household name and it's much easier for Nike to promote a guy like that then someone most casual fans aren't that familiar with. 

I get all that and you need to stop with this Cade/LeBron crap. He was never in the same stratosphere as LeBron as a prospect lol. Not even in the same area code as Luka either. Most people weren't saying that and the ones that few that were are idiots. It's just silly.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With the NIL in place now I think major college basketball is definitely the better route to go. The main appeal of the G-League Ignite team was that guys could get paid for a year before entering the draft. The top prospects will make more money playing at a major college basketball program then they would playing for Ignite. Playing for a major college program also gives guys a huge platform and they get 100x the exposure in college in comparison to the G-League. 

College also provides a safety net because guys are able to return to school if they're not ready to make the leap and want to improve their draft stock. For the G-League guys that weren't taken in the first round, they basically got one swing at it and are now going to be fighting to earn a roster spot. 

Thanks for answering the question though.

I think the last part is most important. For Jalen Green he was such a good prospect talent that neither decision would've been much worse than the other, but if you aren't a very top prospect like not top 10-20, but top 2-3, then G-League probably isn't a good idea. 

NBA is likely gonna do away with the 1 and done like you were talking about in the Recruiting/College thread, so all of this will probably become a moot point. Most guys probably still shouldn't make the leap from HS to the NBA, but I can't lie I'm interested to see guys try and do it again. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Meh, Niang is honestly pretty damn terrible defensively, lol.

Niang always struck me as a somewhat below average defender to average on a good night.

I think Gelo could be bottom 10% in the NBA on defense with consistent minutes, but I get the comparison and guys can improve on that end with coaching and enough effort. His feet are a bit slower than Niang's IMO, but its not like Niang has quick feet lol.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Niang always struck me as a somewhat below average defender to average on a good night.

I think Gelo could be bottom 10% in the NBA on defense with consistent minutes, but I get the comparison and guys can improve on that end with coaching and enough effort. His feet are a bit slower than Niang's IMO, but its not like Niang has quick feet lol.

Niang is absolutely terrible defensively and essentially unplayable in the playoffs. His advanced defensive stats might look okay, but a lot of that is due to the fact he played with Rudy. 

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, I think Lavar probably wishes he went about all that differently with Zo. He was noticeably quieter when Melo's turn came around. Tatum would've been perfect here, but Boston never would've traded down if they thought we wanted him. They knew we were hot for Zo and made a savvy trade to pick up assets and still get their guy. But, man Tatum playing for the team he wanted to play for as a kid taking over the year after his idol hung it up would've been something. 

Meh. Lonzo may never be a star but he's a solid player that just secured the bag. Lavar's brashness, willingness to experiment with new things (own league, own shoe brand, etc.) was definitely one of the biggest drivers in all of the changes we're seeing in amateur basketball. Guys have a a lot more flexibility with how they can get to the league, can get paid way earlier, and all of that started with Lavar's hype of Lonzo and their signature shoe.

10 pts - 10 reb SL debut.   All 10 points scored off dunks, including THIS one while I think all 3 of his 3 pt attempts were blocked.    So much to work on but some moments like this to have me fantasizing what he could be in 2-3 years playing with Melo and Bouknight and adding some strength.   

• Like 1

Green looked really good offensively last night. Okoro had him defended well quite a bit, and he made some real difficult shots look easy. The Rockets have put together a nice young squad. I wish I had a guy like KMJ on the Cavs, Josh Christopher looked solid as well. As for Mobley, I think he played a good game. Defensively you saw the impact he has, offensively he showed some versatility, though his efficiency wasnt there, it's gonna come with time. He had a few plays inside where I wish he would go into the contact rather than trying to avoid it. he missed a few shots where had he been more aggressive in going up and into the defender, he would have at least gotten to the line. 

Okoro looked good for the most part, Mobley I like what I saw, Stevens had a good showing, the rest of the guys were blah. 

• Like 1