If you were the eagles would you make the trade for Wentz in 2016 again?

Kiwibrown

Wentz had a few good seasons including one that led to big **** nick winning a superbowl. The eagles fell into disarray shortly after. 

Would you do the trade again.

For the browns I'm not sure we turned a lot of that capital into anything other than nfl vapour.

They almost certainly wouldn't have been in a position to win the Super Bowl without Wentz's performance in 2017, so probably, yeah.  Even when you consider how well Foles did in the postseason, he almost certainly wouldn't have sustained it had he been asked to play a full year.

Yes. Absolutely. Philly got their first SB trophy and he was part of the reason for it. That alone is priceless to me.

Was it a good long-term investment? Obviously not. But I'll take getting a flash in the pan SB trophy over not getting one at all any day of the week.

Plus, with the way NFL contract works now, it made sense at the time. The FO went all-in to get the QB they believed in and doubled down on that belief to build around him while he was still on his rookie 4 year deal. Which is how you're supposed to do it in modern times.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

Of course, whatever Wentz is now, he was a very good QB in 2017, who played a huge role in us winning 13 games and getting HFA, which played a huge role in reaching the SB. History tells us it'd be a pretty big gamble to bet on Foles playing the way he did during the postseason run for all of 2017, in fact his regular season play in 2017 & 2018 is probably a pretty good indication of what we'd get, and it's a far cry from the MVP level play Wentz provided.

Furthermore, we didn't flame out from lack of capital due to the haul we gave up to get Wentz. We simply did an awful job drafting, and players, coaches, the whole building really, got complacent. I see no reason the Eagles would not make this same trade with 20/20 hindsight. It might be another story if we were talking 10+ 1st round picks and Eagles were still feeling the effects of the trade today; granted I still would call it easily the right move. SBs are not easy to come by.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

Wentz was an MVP who was instrumental in getting the number 1 seed allowing their back up to have a bye and play at home in the playoffs. 

That’s before you even get into the possibility that whoever else is starting never gets injured and there is no compelling reason to give Foles a chance to go on an amazing run. 

It was worth it just for that

It's certainly a tough question to answer, mainly because of that Super Bowl that we got off the backs of a near-MVPlike season out of Wentz.

They probably don't highway rob the Vikings for that 1st for Sam Bradford then, but we'd still have that 1st round pick in 2017 which would've been Mahomes or Watson (unless they took Paxton Lynch in 2016). So you could argue we'd be in a spot to win way more Super Bowls. That Bradford trade really lessoned the impact of that trade. Essentially made it a 2nd, 3rd and mid 4th round value (pick 100->139), and this Wentz trade will get the Eagles back at least a 2nd & 3rd (that conditional 1st is looking doubtful). So it's weird that all said and done they really didn't lose much of anything and got a Super Bowl out of it.

I'd probably just take the guaranteed Super Bowl being a fan, especially with how good of a win it was.
I'd 100% go back and change the way they went in the Wentz vs Foles decision after 2018. Would've very easily gotten some premium picks for Wentz back then, still get the SB52 win.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Butterfly effect:

You don't trade for Wentz.

You instead work a trade for Andrew Luck.

Luck plays behind a competent OL and becomes your franchise QB. 

You win 4 Superbowls.

Alternatively.

Luck still gets hurt, Luck still retires, we become a perennial bottom feeder and have no Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

OR

Luck gets hurt

Luck still retires

You don't have to trade for Wentz

You get Patrick Mahomes

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

AND Pat has lesser weapons than he ever has

Doesn't pan out the way we think he would be

Especially when you're going from the greatest QB whisperer of all time, Andy Reid, to someone who makes all of his players worse, Doug Pederson.

18 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Wentz had a few good seasons including one that led to big **** nick winning a superbowl. The eagles fell into disarray shortly after. 

Would you do the trade again.

For the browns I'm not sure we turned a lot of that capital into anything other than nfl vapour.

10000%.

The first Superbowl in my lifetime and since 1960 is worth the likely few years of disarray that we may have from transitioning him.