General Defense

onejayhawk

8 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Wow, he hasn’t panned out like any of us would hope.  But I’m never going to fault someone for taking care of their mental health.  Remember Javon Belcher?  Junior Seau?  Tyler Sash? Many others?  The fact is there’s many factors that could be playing a roll here, the least of which could be the fact that HE’S upset that he can’t stay/get healthy.  There’s “bums” on our team that really don’t look like they can play, at least he has potential.

I was promised 7 sacks this season by the man himself. Then he gets a toe injury and is now pulling the mental health get out of jail free card.

To Veach’s credit he didn’t believe the hype and got us Nick Bolton, an old school MLB that has his head screwed on straight. 

20 hours ago, Kirill said:

I traded this bum for a 7th round pick in FFMD and everyone gave me crap for it but he’s a bum. Always hurt never anything but potential at least we got a real LBer in Nick Bolton.

Well hes activated for the game, I guess the team figures hes still better than Neimann. 

I automatically figured that Reid wouldn't play him, maybe hell end up being healthy but day to day. 

37 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well hes activated for the game, I guess the team figures hes still better than Neimann. 

I automatically figured that Reid wouldn't play him, maybe hell end up being healthy but day to day. 

Still a ways to go.   I’m positive Chicago is happy they didn’t just give up on Roquan when he took time off early in his career. 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

A lamppost is better than Niemann. Sorensen too, don’t even get me started on Dan Sorensen.

10 hours ago, Chiefer said:

He's listed as questionable, so you are likely correct. Perhaps a few plays. 

It has come up several times that this defense is like the 2018 bottom 10 D. here is an article making the same comparison.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/assessing_how_the_2021_chiefs_compare_to_the_2018_chiefs/s1_16631_36095378

If it's any consolation, Mahomes is better now.

J

21 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

He's listed as questionable, so you are likely correct. Perhaps a few plays. 

It has come up several times that this defense is like the 2018 bottom 10 D. here is an article making the same comparison.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/assessing_how_the_2021_chiefs_compare_to_the_2018_chiefs/s1_16631_36095378

If it's any consolation, Mahomes is better now.

J

I wish we were a bottom ten D…that would give me hope.  Right now we’re a bottom 2 D.  And that might be giving us too much credit.  Bottom line is, our season might be close to over, which is incredible to say after week 5 with this offense.  But if you look at who we’ve lost to…right note we’re fighting for a wild card spot.

21 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I wish we were a bottom ten D…that would give me hope.  Right now we’re a bottom 2 D.  And that might be giving us too much credit.  Bottom line is, our season might be close to over, which is incredible to say after week 5 with this offense.  But if you look at who we’ve lost to…right note we’re fighting for a wild card spot.

Look who we lost to and who we have left. I think the offense can drag the defense to double digit wins. But barring a miraculous turnaround, the defense won’t get us anywhere in the postseason; if we make it. 

I haven’t looked at the updated stats, but we were already on a historic path defensively. 

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I would feel worse about it if we had not been against five offenses that are all in the top half of the league and only the Eagles are not in the top half of the team rankings. 

That said, when the highlight of your front seven is Mike Danna, it's ugly.

J

It might be time to stop reclamation projects and start actually investing picks in high character high quality guys.  We have a ton of first round picks on D, but have we drafted any of them?  We continue to play good “team” guys over talent.  We act like guys like Sorenson aren’t a liability and we just need to shore up a thing or two.  That’s what you say when you’re close, upper middle of the pack.  Right now shoring up a couple of things wouldn’t even make us a good defense.

To be clear I’m not saying we shouldn’t swap a 7th for a former first…I’m just saying we can’t continue to let those moves be the reason we totally ignore positions of premium in the draft.  DE is a perfect example, we have an extremely overpaid DE, and a stud DT e are going to play out of position to experiment.  Knowing we’re not likely to keep DE1 and not knowing what DE2 will bring it might have behooved us to make some sort of move…instead we draft late, bring back a sub par performer…and are letting our best DL player play out of position and in reality hitting 2 positions in the process.