Week 1 GDT - Detroit Lions vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

24 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If Sewell continues his poor pre-season play and Decker really is out for this game, I'd put our sack total over/under at 5. I expect a ton of plays in the backfield.

Decker will play and Sewell won't be as bad as people think he will be. For some reason people keep underestimating rust and not playing an entire year...IT'S REAL! 

I think the Lions game plan will be to get the ball out and lean on the run game. As long as the game is fairly tight, they won't ask Goff to do much and the defense won't be getting tons of sacks. But if we can put them behind early? Then I can see four to five sacks. I expect this to be a competitive game in the first half though. Our offense will come out a bit sluggish and the Lions will be able to move the ball well enough to make it close. It is the second half, and especially the 4th quarter where I expect us to pull away and then the DL will be able to get to tee off on Goff.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Forgebreak this down por favor. Not that I expected him to be released after season's end in the first place, but does this do anything for next season? Almost a lock to be on the team? 

Believe he already has a voidable extra year but it mostly means it will cost more to cut him next year and we either swallow 4,6 mil the year after or have to extend him.

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Decker will play and Sewell won't be as bad as people think he will be. For some reason people keep underestimating rust and not playing an entire year...IT'S REAL! 

I think the Lions game plan will be to get the ball out and lean on the run game. As long as the game is fairly tight, they won't ask Goff to do much and the defense won't be getting tons of sacks. But if we can put them behind early? Then I can see four to five sacks. I expect this to be a competitive game in the first half though. Our offense will come out a bit sluggish and the Lions will be able to move the ball well enough to make it close. It is the second half, and especially the 4th quarter where I expect us to pull away and then the DL will be able to get to tee off on Goff.

I don't think Sewell is bad, rust is a real thing. What I'm wondering is if this poor play because of rust continues into week 1.

Also, on Decker:

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't think Sewell is bad, rust is a real thing. What I'm wondering is if this poor play because of rust continues into week 1.

Also, on Decker:

That's fair and it could take him a few weeks to get his feet under him...But guys like Lance, Sewell and Chase who either opted out or their program didn't play last season, there is clear rust in all of them. 

The rumors floating around? Will be interesting to see how a rumor on Swift committing murder is addressed with with Dan lol.

37 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Believe he already has a voidable extra year but it mostly means it will cost more to cut him next year and we either swallow 4,6 mil the year after or have to extend him.

He actually has 2. He's a free agent after next year and counts for 6 million on the cap in 2023 lol. 

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

No bueno, we knew this was a problem since we drafted him 

I just don't have high hopes moving forward. Hate chronic injuries, especially when you are that size. He's a freakish brute when he's 100%, but he's going to have difficulty being on the field and staying on the field his entire career, I think. 

• Like 2

So no Kinlaw or Moseley on Sunday and the Lions will be without Decker. 

Our DL depth is ridiculous so we should be fine there but still can get a little ugly depending on who replaces Moseley. Granted, the Lions aren't a juggernaut offensively so that will help but there will be a clear target to go against in the passing game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just don't have high hopes moving forward. Hate chronic injuries, especially when you are that size. He's a freakish brute when he's 100%, but he's going to have difficulty being on the field and staying on the field his entire career, I think. 

Pretty sure he had back issues at USC as well. I guess if you're being an optimist, at least it isn't that yet. 

• Like 1