Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Washington Football Team - Sept 12, 1 PM EST, CBS

MikeT14

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It’s about the lack of aggression for me, not the player they selected.  

Not drafting Herbert in 2020 was understandable and I think most other teams would have done the same, but not trading up for a QBOTF this year was a mistake. 

Completely agree. 

I’m a fan of Jamin Davis and everything I think he can be — but the idea that Davis plus whatever QB we can get in the mid-1st this year (plus whatever additional sweetener it would have taken to get Denver to move off Surtain) is better value than Justin Fields is just crazy to me. I don’t know if Fields will be a star. But I know good and hell well I’d much rather bet on his talent than any of these guys I’m watching on Saturdays so far this year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Can someone tell me in English what this means? 

https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-hip-subluxation.htm

Hip subluxation occurs when the ball of the hip joint is only partly in its socket, which means that there is a partial dislocation. Symptoms include pain while walking, limping, and general pain in the hip area. Sometimes, there may be a discrepancy in leg length due to the dislocation. Although this problem can occur during sporting activity, it is more likely to happen during a trauma such as a car accident.

So the femur joint partially popped out of the hip socket. They're worried that one or other of the bones may be broken, which would be even worse.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

2 to 3 months to recover? Question is does Rivera do the smart thing & stick with Heinicke and/or Allen and go for a boom or bust year with those young guys or will he bring in Cam and try so salvage his coveted .500 season?

For now, Heinicke showed enough on the field that bringing in Newton would just contribute to distractions in the locker room.

Rivera has had multiple chances to reunite with Cam and ignored every chance. Same with Cam reuniting with Rivera.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

For now, Heinicke showed enough on the field that bringing in Newton would just contribute to distractions in the locker room.

Rivera has had multiple chances to reunite with Cam and ignored every chance. Same with Cam reuniting with Rivera.

I hope we just roll with Heinicke & Allen. Rivera already wasted this year by not trading up for a QB. I’d hate to see him waste it by signing Cam and then we’re average again.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I agree with you about the adjustment and time. I don’t agree with you that he has the ability to be a centerpiece player. He was a back up until Kentucky’s starter had a stroke. He’s not a playmaker. He’s a good tackler though. 

I guess my question is, what ability do you think he’s lacking? Because we’re talking about upside here. What he’s capable of becoming. 

One-year starter means he has a lower floor than guys who did it for longer, so I’ll absolutely grant you that there’s a higher risk that he’ll flame out than guys like Queen and Murphy who did it for longer and had more of a track record. It’s a riskier pick.

But during that one season, I really didn’t see many (or any, quite frankly) better LBs in the country. And if there were guys who were better than him last year, how many of them are also 99th percentile athletes (which he clearly is)? I knew almost nothing of his intangibles, so I would have been fine taking him or fine passing on him — but if he’s got a good enough head on his shoulder to impress Rivera and Del Rio enough to take him top 20, then I’m good with it. 

He’s gonna frustrate the hell out of us this year. Even someone like me, who’s a fan of the pick. I just think the ceiling is really high for the kid, so I hope they stick with him through the growing pains. Taking him off the field to let Jon Bostic flounder in nickel coverage situations seems...short-sighted...to me. Rivera has done an excellent job of developing LBs, though, so this again is one of those situations where I’m going to defer to him a little. 

• Like 4

When is it no longer too soon to make a joke about old people and hip injuries?

I really do hate this for him. He’s a good dude, and this really was probably his best (and last?) shot to lead a playoff type team. Incredible bummer.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

I’m sure there’s some gloomy posters but being at that game my first live game with my dad who’s a bitter fan there was a moment we were both cheering together and it was something I hadn’t had I thought these guys fought hard made a few costly mistakes but this team is tough. We’re going to get to find out about Taylor. So I think we’re going to grow idk we will see on to NY short week

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m sure there’s some gloomy posters but being at that game my first live game with my dad who’s a bitter fan there was a moment we were both cheering together and it was something I hadn’t had I thought these guys fought hard made a few costly mistakes but this team is tough. We’re going to get to find out about Taylor. So I think we’re going to grow idk we will see on to NY short week

Good news is that the Giants/Daniel Jones looked worse than us & Heinicke today. We may be able to take the W on Thursday!

20 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I guess my question is, what ability do you think he’s lacking? Because we’re talking about upside here. What he’s capable of becoming. 

One-year starter means he has a lower floor than guys who did it for longer, so I’ll absolutely grant you that there’s a higher risk that he’ll flame out than guys like Queen and Murphy who did it for longer and had more of a track record. It’s a riskier pick.

But during that one season, I really didn’t see many (or any, quite frankly) better LBs in the country. And if there were guys who were better than him last year, how many of them are also 99th percentile athletes (which he clearly is)? I knew almost nothing of his intangibles, so I would have been fine taking him or fine passing on him — but if he’s got a good enough head on his shoulder to impress Rivera and Del Rio enough to take him top 20, then I’m good with it. 

He’s gonna frustrate the hell out of us this year. Even someone like me, who’s a fan of the pick. I just think the ceiling is really high for the kid, so I hope they stick with him through the growing pains. Taking him off the field to let Jon Bostic flounder in nickel coverage situations seems...short-sighted...to me. Rivera has done an excellent job of developing LBs, though, so this again is one of those situations where I’m going to defer to him a little. 

What I thought about him was what one of the guys Kevin Sheehan interviewed said perfectly. You watch the game and at the end you say “man what did Jamin Davis do?” And then you look at the box score and he had 11 tackles. So what that means to me is he’s a steady Eddie tackler but he just doesn’t make game changing plays. I think that will hold true. He’ll be a tackling machine but he just doesn’t have that ability guys like Micah Parsons have. That’s how I feel and I’m totally open and hoping I’m wrong.