Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Washington Football Team - Sept 12, 1 PM EST, CBS

MikeT14

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Don't you say that about my new man crush!! (I wish he was on almost any other team)

He may work out, but I REALLY was not impressed with the #12 pick. That high, you'd better be bringing it even in your first game. He had a few good plays but otherwise looked undersized, lost, bit on obvious PA fakes, and got beat up by WR's (RECEIVERS!!) and anyone else making blocks.

Sorry, I was NOT impressed at all at his game on Thursday.

Could he prove me wrong? Yes. Although for our sake, I hope I'm right. I just think this guy has a high bust potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

I hat to say it because he is with the boys.  NOT IN THIS LIFE.  I am a PSU fan and let me tell you the guy is for real.  

I hope I'm right because he is with the boys. But his game on Thursday didn't scream blue chip #12 pick. It screamed "journeyman SS tweener that was picked up via FA to play LB." Was not impressed with him at all.

Of course, I've been wrong before. I just hope this isn't one of those times.

53 minutes ago, e16bball said:

When is it no longer too soon to make a joke about old people and hip injuries?

I really do hate this for him. He’s a good dude, and this really was probably his best (and last?) shot to lead a playoff type team. Incredible bummer.

I'm 52. I was kinda making the gallows humor about him during the game about how old guys have bad hips.

And yeah, this sucks for him. I wanted him to kinda mentor Heinecke and get him prepared to either be our QBOTF or be a better pro so he could be a great backup for the QB we get next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

He’s gonna frustrate the hell out of us this year. Even someone like me, who’s a fan of the pick. I just think the ceiling is really high for the kid, so I hope they stick with him through the growing pains. Taking him off the field to let Jon Bostic flounder in nickel coverage situations seems...short-sighted...to me. Rivera has done an excellent job of developing LBs, though, so this again is one of those situations where I’m going to defer to him a little. 

I'm definitely on the "let the kid grow on the field and deal with the growing pains" bus if that means we leave Bostic off the field.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m sure there’s some gloomy posters but being at that game my first live game with my dad who’s a bitter fan there was a moment we were both cheering together and it was something I hadn’t had I thought these guys fought hard made a few costly mistakes but this team is tough. We’re going to get to find out about Taylor. So I think we’re going to grow idk we will see on to NY short week

Realistically, the only thing I'm gloomy/bitter about is the coaching staff's ineptitude.

• Not understanding end of game situations and when to use time outs.
  • Inability to adjust to scheme when they were getting beat
  • Cowardly decision to give up and punt away.

For a team that lost their leader midway through and had the backup come in effectively cold, they looked relatively decent. I'm not sure they're going to face an offense like this every week so take the lumps with the upside.

But if they coach like that again, they're not getting more than seven wins.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

What I thought about him was what one of the guys Kevin Sheehan interviewed said perfectly. You watch the game and at the end you say “man what did Jamin Davis do?” And then you look at the box score and he had 11 tackles. So what that means to me is he’s a steady Eddie tackler but he just doesn’t make game changing plays. I think that will hold true. He’ll be a tackling machine but he just doesn’t have that ability guys like Micah Parsons have. That’s how I feel and I’m totally open and hoping I’m wrong.  

Provided the defensive line plays up to their fullest ability, we may not necessarily need a year one game changer at linebacker. A rookie who is a steady Eddie may in fact be just what the doctor asked for.

However.

One, they have to be willing to give him the chances on the field. If they keep going with Bostic, he cannot really grow.
Two, the defensive line has to play up to their ability.
Three, I still bemoan the fact that Washington missed out on getting Parsons and that Dallas of all teams got him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

He may work out, but I REALLY was not impressed with the #12 pick. That high, you'd better be bringing it even in your first game. He had a few good plays but otherwise looked undersized, lost, bit on obvious PA fakes, and got beat up by WR's (RECEIVERS!!) and anyone else making blocks.

Sorry, I was NOT impressed at all at his game on Thursday.

Could he prove me wrong? Yes. Although for our sake, I hope I'm right. I just think this guy has a high bust potential.

All true and he may bust out yet.

However, that raw athleticism ... *swoons*

If he can figure it out and stays healthy, he's likely to be a thorn in Washington's side for a decade to come. To be fair, though, Parsons is also a rookie MLB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Jesus… does the Chargers’ Twitter account always troll teams they just beat like this?

It's cute.

It also me hopes to make a "what's the letter(s) of the day? IR!" video for their stars in the near future.

Yes, I'm being petty.

• Like 2