Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Washington Football Team - Sept 12, 1 PM EST, CBS

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well, we couldn’t have drafted Parsons and from what I remember Parsons got burned some in coverage too. It’s far too soon to say that Davis wasn’t worth the pick based off of week 1 where the defensive coaches won’t play him in the nickel package which is his strength.

The dude was at best, a mid round pick before he ran fast. His pro day or whatever it was jumped him way up. If Kyle Smith was here I can guarantee you Davis would not have been the pick. He wasn’t a first rounder. 

• Like 1

Our team played bad. We should all let it go & get ready for Giants.

We allowed 14, 3rd down conversions. The fact we lost by 4 is a blessing.

It should have been an *** stomping, the way we played.

It actually sets up perfectly.

We're gonna be all over the Giants come Thursday.

Now, if we repeat this performance Thursday?

Then I'll be concerned.

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

For me as of right now Heinicke wasn’t the problem. Having Fields/Jones wouldn’t have won that game. Let’s see about Heinicke, might surprise you. 

That wasn’t a shot at Heinicke.  He played well.  I just don’t think he’s durable enough to be our QBOTF. 

It was a shot at the Jamin Davis pick, and at how conservative “Riverboat Ron” really is. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t see it with Jamin Davis. I didn’t see it when I watched his Kentucky games either. I see him as a Rocky McIntosh type. Not great, not terrible. Just average. 

I’ve been saying it, guess I’ll have to keep saying it:

Rookie MLBs have trouble with the transition to the NFL. They’re part QB, part TE, and both of those positions take a while to grow into the complexity of the NFL game in the play-calling areas and the middle of the field. 

They could dumb it down and let him play an OLB spot with limited responsibility beyond see-ball, get-ball/see-QB, get-QB/see-man, cover-man...but I’m glad they’re not. He’s gonna be lost for a while, but if he finds his way, he’s a centerpiece player. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Should’ve traded up for Fields or Jones. At least we’d have a future to look forward to. 

This is true, but it should have very little to do with Jamin Davis. No one they could have drafted there had sufficient value to pass on the chance to trade up for Fields. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I’ve been saying it, guess I’ll have to keep saying it:

Rookie MLBs have trouble with the transition to the NFL. They’re part QB, part TE, and both of those positions take a while to grow into the complexity of the NFL game in the play-calling areas and the middle of the field. 

They could dumb it down and let him play an OLB spot with limited responsibility beyond see-ball, get-ball/see-QB, get-QB/see-man, cover-man...but I’m glad they’re not. He’s gonna be lost for a while, but if he finds his way, he’s a centerpiece player. 

I agree with you about the adjustment and time. I don’t agree with you that he has the ability to be a centerpiece player. He was a back up until Kentucky’s starter had a stroke. He’s not a playmaker. He’s a good tackler though. 

Just now, e16bball said:

This is true, but it should have very little to do with Jamin Davis. No one they could have drafted there had sufficient value to pass on the chance to trade up for Fields. 

It’s about the lack of aggression for me, not the player they selected.  

Not drafting Herbert in 2020 was understandable and I think most other teams would have done the same, but not trading up for a QBOTF this year was a mistake. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The chargers obviously gameplanned well against us.  They got the ball out very quickly, Herbert showed he was able to handle that strategy and their WRs are talented enough to get separation quickly.  I think the chargers are going to be really good this wasn’t a bad loss.

If you look at the score, it wasn’t a bad loss. But it’s pretty obvious (at least to me) that we should have lost by much more. They were moving up and down the field at will, even with us getting lucky calls all game. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The dude was at best, a mid round pick before he ran fast. His pro day or whatever it was jumped him way up. If Kyle Smith was here I can guarantee you Davis would not have been the pick. He wasn’t a first rounder. 

Exactly.  Who had Davis as a first round pick before that 40 time?  I can't remember one person.

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Most people had him there. It’s not like our front office was the only one. I think the bigger problem with our coaching staff is they’re old & love vets too much. If we had more creative & younger HCs, I think Jamin Davis would play more - especially in nickel packages - and have better coverage than Bostic & Holcomb did.

It’s also far too early to be saying much about what he will be or whatever.

As I consistently remind people on Twitter who have your take, Lavar Aarrington didn’t even start the first 3 games of his rookie season & he was the 2nd overall pick. I’m sure they’re were some ppl calling him a bust because of it, but I’m sure you weren’t one of them.

1 minute ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Exactly.  Who had Davis as a first round pick before that 40 time?  I can't remember one person.

Scouts always say after a player flashes like that they go back and then evaluate his tape again. If it matches up or they see potential with him, they move him up the board & so, Davis was moved up the board bc of his athleticism & potential.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Most people had him there. It’s not like our front office was the only one. I think the bigger problem with our coaching staff is they’re old & love vets too much. If we had more creative & younger HCs, I think Jamin Davis would play more - especially in nickel packages - and have better coverage than Bostic & Holcomb did.

It’s also far too early to be saying much about what he will be or whatever.

As I consistently remind people on Twitter who have your take, Lavar Aarrington didn’t even start the first 3 games of his rookie season & he was the 2nd overall pick. I’m sure they’re were some ppl calling him a bust because of it, but I’m sure you weren’t one of them.

Not before the combine however.