When will it be Fields time?

BearsFanForever

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

barf

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Same boat I'm in, I want Fields to start but Nagy is likely on the hot seat. Wins now are what can keep him being overpaid.

That being said if/when he does switch to back to Dalton I can imaging that causing a rift in the locker room as well. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Its not wins and losses that are making me want to fire Nagy.   It is his insistence on spending valuable time on Dalton and making Fields watch practices.

Mental reps are a joke.  I am sorry.  You have to live with mental reps when you are a back up, but they suck.  Nobody wants mental reps.   They don't get you better or they do glacially.

Did you hear the presser?   Fields has to take mental reps and then try to rerun stuff after practice with a back up WR.

Garbage.   This is our franchise for good or ill.  Mental reps my ***.  

Nagy is a bad coach.   He is an administrator and motivational speaker and psychologist and salesman - which are good skills for coaching.   But you need the actual coaching part too in football.   In NBA if you have Tex Winter to do X's and O's you can be Phil Jackson which is like Nagy, but that is still simpler game.  Nagy just isn't a complete football coach.

• Like 5

Let me tell you too.

I don't know how these coaches call plays from sidelines when they can do it from press box.

I called a lot of games and I never had option of using a press box, but if I did I would use it 100% of time.   Being able to see the all 22 elevated view is gold.

Calling from sidelines is a lot of guess work since it is at level view from side.   

Knowing the defensive front and arrangement of secondary 100% influences play you want to call.  Plus where their studs are lining up.  

I get that guys upstairs are in his ear, but it isn't same as seeing for yourself.   And HC has a million other things to worry about other than next play.   

If you have a competent OC you should never call plays as a HC in my opinion.  You should listen in and give your input as necessary.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Its not wins and losses that are making me want to fire Nagy.   It is his insistence on spending valuable time on Dalton and making Fields watch practices.

Mental reps are a joke.  I am sorry.  You have to live with mental reps when you are a back up, but they suck.  Nobody wants mental reps.   They don't get you better or they do glacially.

Did you hear the presser?   Fields has to take mental reps and then try to rerun stuff after practice with a back up WR.

Garbage.   This is our franchise for good or ill.  Mental reps my ***.  

Nagy is a bad coach.   He is an administrator and motivational speaker and psychologist and salesman - which are good skills for coaching.   But you need the actual coaching part too in football.   In NBA if you have Tex Winter to do X's and O's you can be Phil Jackson which is like Nagy, but that is still simpler game.  Nagy just isn't a complete football coach

I agree wholeheartedly, I've said his play calling sucked since his week one crap performance vs Green Bay. He had me question myself for a brief stretch then has been very Loggains like since, except he was given actual talent to work with.

I'd have fired him last season. He does little well and is a Reid-puppet. He's a step up from Trestman and I'm not convinced it is a margin. Why keep younger balder John Fox? 

• Like 2

Good question.  For me there is no amount of bad play from Fields that should see him benched.  I mean you traded a first rounder for him so he gets 3 years to fail regardless of what he does on field.   Off field stuff could get him bounced.  

But for Nagy and his Mahomes plan?   I don't know.  A really horrendous games or blow outs would probably be a good excuse for Nagy to move back to Dalton.  

But big picture if Bears bench Fields and then ride Dalton rest of way to say a .500 record (which I think is a generous outcome given schedule, it would probably be worse IRL) that doesn't look good for Nagy. 

Fans will be calling for his head I think.  Nobody cares about a mediocre Dalton led Bears team. 

On other hand if Nagy wins like 4 or 5 games with Fields everyone is understanding of rookie growing pains.  As long as there is some wow moments along the way everyone will be happy.   There already has been.    People would rather see Fields play bad than see Dalton play.   

There is just no upside for Nagy to play Dalton.  I think he is crazy with his Mahomes/Reid nostalgia.  He should have been going with Fields from the start because odds of 17 game Dalton season were just crazy.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, beardown3231 said:

barf

In fairness this is exactly what should be said due to the fact Dalton is only out with injury and didn't stink up the job...make Fields beat him out in his absence...he drops 350 yards and 3 scores on the Browns and that assessment then changes because Fields has won the job...never hand anything to a player.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But for Nagy and his Mahomes plan?   I don't know.  A really horrendous games or blow outs would probably be a good excuse for Nagy to move back to Dalton.  

But big picture if Bears bench Fields and then ride Dalton rest of way to say a .500 record (which I think is a generous outcome given schedule, it would probably be worse IRL) that doesn't look good for Nagy. 

Fans will be calling for his head I think.  Nobody cares about a mediocre Dalton led Bears team. 

Nagy is a lunatic. Don't expect anything rational coming out of the HC office in Chicago. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

In fairness this is exactly what should be said due to the fact Dalton is only out with injury and didn't stink up the job...make Fields beat him out in his absence...he drops 350 yards and 3 scores on the Browns and that assessment then changes because Fields has won the job...never hand anything to a player.

This 

Obviously if Fields plays well they're not ever going to go back to Dalton.

Normally I think Nagy is a moron but I think he's just giving himself outs and is protecting his players in this case

If Fields does poorly the next few games until Dalton is healthy then he will just say I told you so if he puts Dalton back into lineup

I know most people want to see Fields play the rest of the way regardless but you also don't want to damage the young kids confidence 

• Like 1