Coaching Staff Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

This is the great debate. Do you let him leave, knowing that you’re losing an elite play caller? Do you try to make him the highest paid OC in the hope that’s enough to compel him to stay? Or, do you promote him to Head Coach, knowing that he isn’t ready, but has the potential to be a Sean Payton level head coach when he’s matured in the job?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

This is the great debate. Do you let him leave, knowing that you’re losing an elite play caller? Do you try to make him the highest paid OC in the hope that’s enough to compel him to stay? Or, do you promote him to Head Coach, knowing that he isn’t ready, but has the potential to be a Sean Payton level head coach when he’s matured in the job?

We got bit by letting Payton go. Unless we win the Super Bowl this year, you let McCarthy go and promote Moore.

• Like 1

Such a great question. First and foremost you have to evaluate MM. do you want to potentially make the same mistake as Chan Gailey? Jerry has stated numerous times his biggest mistake as a GM was letting Chan Gailey go to soon. But on the flip side, you have the Sean Payton conundrum. Keeping an aging Bill Parcells for 1 more season and letting Sean Payton walk to New Orleans. 

38 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

So you would fire MM if Dallas wins 12 games and gets to NFC title game and replace him with the kid? 

That’s pretty wild.

I agree that is wild. The Cowboys F.O. were in the same position back in '08 (I think) when they had Jason Garrett. They thought he was the next Payton and made Garrett the highest paid OC when Wade was here. We saw how it played out when JG got promoted to HC. Kellen Moore is not ready yet. 

If this team wins 12 games and gets to the NFC title game, I think you have to keep MM. 

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I agree that is wild. The Cowboys F.O. were in the same position back in '08 (I think) when they had Jason Garrett. They thought he was the next Payton and made Garrett the highest paid OC when Wade was here. We saw how it played out when JG got promoted to HC. Kellen Moore is not ready yet. 

If this team wins 12 games and gets to the NFC title game, I think you have to keep MM. 

The team quit on Wade and immediately played hard for Redball. 

Redballs lack of growth doesn't change the fact it was the better decision to fire Wade. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Thought experiment:

Take Kellen Moore out of the team, and make MM the de facto OC (which he would be if Kellen left). Does making it to the NFCCC even feel like a realistic goal?

To me, it doesn’t. 

If I can keep the status quo, I would do that. But if Kellen is going to leave without being promoted to HC, I think I would make the change. Fortune favors the bold.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Hes young. Dak is young. They are friends, teammates, direct QB coach and then offensive coordinator. Kellen is Dak's Sherpa. You live with the growing pains when he eventually becomes HC and screws up. 

26 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Garrett was a great hire for us though? I dont understand why Cowboys fan bash it. The issue wasnt hiring Garrett, it was holding on to him for so long. 

But the reason we held on for so long, is he was an excellent coach from a culture and drafting stand point, so we were never truly a "bad" team under him, outside of when Romo went down. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1