Coaching Staff Thread

Texas_OutLaw7

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

If the team went for it and turned the ball over and allowed Philly to score. The momentum would of completely flipped. Then all of you would of said why did he go for it. The team had a double digit lead. Blah blah blah. I swear you cant win with some of you. 

With almost any tough decision there are Pros and Cons. The best you can do is understand the odds and make "smart' choices/gambles. I believe most feel that Philly was in a bad spot and that was a perfect time to "take a chance" and gamble. I forget but wasn't it like 3rd and 17?  that is hard enough to do with anyone, and Hurts wasn't exactly picking apart our defense (on most occasions)

18 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Gutless

12 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Way to instill that killer instinct 🙄

The Cowboys under MM have been one of the most aggressive teams in the league. Y’all are still scarred from Garrett.

McCarthy definitely makes clock management blunders. I don’t understand why he seems to consistently fumble the basic tenets of clock management that every boy masters while playing Madden. But I think the notion that he plays it scared is bogus. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The Cowboys under MM have been one of the most aggressive teams in the league. Y’all are still scarred from Garrett.

McCarthy definitely makes clock management blunders. I don’t understand why he seems to consistently fumble the basic tenets of clock management that every boy masters while playing Madden. But I think the notion that he plays it scared is bogus. 

Admitting that you’re content with the lead you have rather than trying to get the ball back with 1:30 left is gutless, especially when Philly got the ball to start the second half.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Admitting that you’re content with the lead you have rather than trying to get the ball back with 1:30 left is gutless, especially when Philly got the ball to start the second half.

I think it MM was being honest, he would just admit he made an error in calculating the odds of various potential outcomes.

I have many criticisms, but over and over again, MM and staff have defaulted to the aggressive.

8 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I wasn’t a fan of the decision by any means, but I would note that this is probably why McCarthy was content to go into the half up 13. One horrible defensive penalty or offensive turnover to give Philly life before halftime followed up by a TD drive to open the 3rd and all of a sudden it’s 21-20 Eagles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I wasn’t a fan of the decision by any means, but I would note that this is probably why McCarthy was content to go into the half up 13. One horrible defensive penalty or offensive turnover to give Philly life before halftime followed up by a TD drive to open the 3rd and all of a sudden it’s 21-20 Eagles.

Yeah, that’s a fair argument. 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I think I pointed this out in the GDT. 

These are the same people who bashed Garrett for *YEARS* when he did go for it and it blew up in his face. It was against the Redskins a long time ago. We were up and got the ball with ~30 seconds before half. Jason went for the points to seal the game, Romo threw a pick 6, IIRC we lost the game. 

Literally I heard the same people that are calling McCarthy a coward, call Jason an idiot for doing the exact opposite. The lesson I learned: Fans are going to illogically bash the coach no matter what he does. 

48 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Literally I heard the same people that are calling McCarthy a coward, call Jason an idiot for doing the exact opposite. The lesson I learned: Fans are going to illogically bash the coach no matter what he does. 

For sure. Fans are slaves to outcomes with a bias towards remembering/focusing on the negative.

But good process is outcome agnostic. 

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

And that’s being gutless. Call a damn time out, get the ball back, and play to win. If you fear committing a turnover in a situation like that as opposed to putting your foot on the neck of your opponent - who couldn’t stop us, by the way - then you’re “coaching” with absolute cowardice. 

22 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

And that’s being gutless. Call a damn time out, get the ball back, and play to win. If you fear committing a turnover in a situation like that as opposed to putting your foot on the neck of your opponent - who couldn’t stop us, by the way - then you’re “coaching” with absolute cowardice. 

If you are trying to fix a problem, you have to identify the correct root of the problem.

To me, the Cowboys have consistently been aggressive, ballsy, whatever you want to call it. So when they make a clock management error, I don’t immediately jump to “cowardice”.

There is a point on a spectrum where risk/reward flips. It’s not ballsy to try a play with 1 second left on your own 10 yard line, it’s stupid. But it becomes strategically smart, somewhere between there, and the situation Dallas found themselves in on Monday. On Monday, the clear decision was to call timeout and try for another possession. 

So one of three things happened. 1) MM is a legitimate wuss, 2) he doesn’t have a good grasp of clock management fundamentals and miscalculated where on that spectrum the situation actually fell, 3) he was not well prepared, and his lack of confidence led him to play it safe.

He’s pretty consistently shown more evidence of #2 and #3.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is old, and whether a change at HC is made or not, seems like bringing Kitna back in would be a terrific addition. 

I think one of the byproducts of the RKG culture is that we targeted guys who were natural leaders, captains. Those people become coaches. I could see a lot of Garrett-players becoming Moore-coaches. Kitna, Ware, Lee, etc.

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think one of the byproducts of the RKG culture is that we targeted guys who were natural leaders, captains. Those people become coaches. I could see a lot of Garrett-players becoming Moore-coaches. Kitna, Ware, Lee, etc.

I just hope it happens in Dallas and not somewhere else. 

15 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

This is old, and whether a change at HC is made or not, seems like bringing Kitna back in would be a terrific addition. 

I thought there was a bit of a power struggle between him and Kellen. There was definitely something around too many dissenting voices in Dak’s ear. Am I remembering this wrong?