2021 Cowboys News and Notes

Matts4313

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

But how many snaps at DE?

im kidding!

Haha...no your not. You're making your argument crystal clear. 

But i can't deny, would love to see him rush the passer more just for the "excitement" of it. But one can't deny his effectiveness dropping in coverage.

2 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Haha...no your not. You're making your argument crystal clear. 

But i can't deny, would love to see him rush the passer more just for the "excitement" of it. But one can't deny his effectiveness dropping in coverage.

I think most of you may know, I played DE. I love DE's. Its why I get so disappointed in Tank and hype up Greggory so much, I love the position... 

I want to compound this by challenging anyone who thinks I am being hard headed about this - go back to every post I made about Parsons from May until August. I said the entire offseason he needed to be a DPR (dedicated pass rusher). That it was a waste to put him at mike. 

I say that to say this: I was on "your" ( @resilient part 2 and @quiller) side about he makes a damn fine pass rusher. But every time I watch him at linebacker I see the "Ray Lewis Effect". The Ravens were amazing on defense for 15 years because Ray Lewis was better than everyone else on the field and he could beat you 100 different ways. Micah Parsons is having the same effect on all the players around him. Diggs can forget about the short crosser, Greggory can pin back his ears even if its a screen, we dont have to blitz, etc etc etc. 

If you all dont believe me, than believe this: Dan Quinn is smarter than "you" when it comes to defensive players. So "your" (and mine) opinion is kinda irrelevant because he knows better. 

Putting you in quotes because I am not referring to anyone in particular. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think most of you may know, I played DE. I love DE's. Its why I get so disappointed in Tank and hype up Greggory so much, I love the position... 

I want to compound this by challenging anyone who thinks I am being hard headed about this - go back to every post I made about Parsons from May until August. I said the entire offseason he needed to be a DPR (dedicated pass rusher). That it was a waste to put him at mike. 

I say that to say this: I was on "your" ( @resilient part 2 and @quiller) side about he makes a damn fine pass rusher. But every time I watch him at linebacker I see the "Ray Lewis Effect". The Ravens were amazing on defense for 15 years because Ray Lewis was better than everyone else on the field and he could beat you 100 different ways. Micah Parsons is having the same effect on all the players around him. Diggs can forget about the short crosser, Greggory can pin back his ears even if its a screen, we dont have to blitz, etc etc etc. 

If you all dont believe me, than believe this: Dan Quinn is smarter than you when it comes to defensive players. So "your" (and mine) opinion is kinda irrelevant because he knows better. 

I get the reference/context of "you". No worries.

I'm indifferent actually. Simply meaning I don't care where or how we play him as long as he and we are successful.

Funny you mentioned Quinn being smarter etc. Nothing against the other folks that are screaming to have him rush more. Nothing wrong with the logic to a degree and they're just passionate about there opinion. Part of my reply i had in my head as I was reading your reply was just that point. But i was going to say what do "I" know. Clearly not being there and others way smarter than any of us here, they (coaches) must be doing something right. He was all over the field last night. From side to side in the flats and just simply being around the ball (poor Jaylon).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

If you all dont believe me, than believe this: Dan Quinn is smarter than you when it comes to defensive players. So "your" (and mine) opinion is kinda irrelevant because he knows better. 

OK I am not a good tackler, But I will try to tackle this @Matts4313.

Your comparison of Micah to Ray Lewis "might" be a good one. My hope or comparison of Micah "might" be he can be a young Von Miller. But here goes a little of why I think my Von Miller Comp will work better. As good/great as Lewis was, I always felt his main greatness was he was tackling machine, But in an Era that was more or even much more "run oriented" than today's Era. While there are some fine examples of Micah dropping into coverage and making plays, I find that many times even when he does his responsibilities well, a QB can just throw it somewhere else leaving Micah to have little to no impact at times.  and that is even if he did his job perfectly.

Now flip that to being a pass-rusher. His pass rush ability seems to be potentially elite (small but decent sample size) then factor in that this pass happy Era and how often teams drop back and pass, make me believe that the number one most effective way of stopping an offense is by getting to the QB. If Parsons can at the very least get in there (even without getting the sack) it can lead to so many things that stats may not be able to register. a QB may scramble earlier.. He may run from Parson into another D-lineman. May actually cause a TO at a higher rate than if he was dropping into coverage.

You called getting sacks is like getting splashy plays, I think there are more impactful overall. I also believe a player can elevate his teammates far more by his presence as a very good pas rusher vs an all around LB in this Era. 

Also imagine Dallas having RG on one side and Micah on the other. If I was a QB or an O-lineman, that would put far greater fear in me than ay where else. Imagine our secondary and their improvement if they only had to cover for less time vs more. T Diggs may e ale to gamble more as WRs may not have time to do a double move. we could have more players in the secondary and still get quality pressure with a 4 man pass rush. 

Other than QB, I actually consider a DE pass rusher as the most impactful position in the game.

and before it becomes confused, I am  not calling for Micah to be an every down DE. He can continue playing all over the field on first downs. and most 2nds. but on all definite passing downs on want him in attack mode. KILL KILL KILL the QB and challenge Randy Gregory in a contest of who can get there first.

My case has officially been rested. The ball is in you hands now.

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

The ball is in you hands now.

Im too damn tired from working on the Jeep to respond with functioning thoughts - but my gut reaction was that Lewis wasnt good because of his tackles. He was good because he allowed everyone else on defense to play aggressive as he could cover up a lot of mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Im too damn tired from working on the Jeep to respond with functioning thoughts - but my gut reaction was that Lewis wasnt good because of his tackles. He was good because he allowed everyone else on defense to play aggressive as he could cover up a lot of mistakes.

get some sleep then.. knowing you tomorrow you will, have a clearer more energized response.

32 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We added 3 true blue chip defensive players since last season to each level of the defense, between Parsons, Gregory, and Diggs (granted we didn’t really add Diggs, but he was a rookie who missed time).

Add that to a competent DC, and the turnaround has been quite remarkable.

all true, but it also helps that our juggernaut offense helps keep them off the field and rested more than last year.