Bills trade DT Marcell Dareus to Jacksonville

Bianconero

1 hour ago, EirePacker said:

Haven't watched the bills much this year but was he actually that bad. A 6th round pick, surely the guys worth more then that.

Aaaaah, I just think it's all very sad, in retrospect- he was actually really good his first few years, right from the get-go in his rookie season, and making the Pro Bowl in, what, 2013?

Then in 2015 they gave him that contract that slightly exceeded the annual budget for the City of Buffalo, and he went Full Haynesworth Mode, having made the big score.

But those first three seasons! I remember they used to play that rap song about him on WBLK 93.7:

Who dat dude

Wid da attitude

Who say he gonna carry us?

On a magic roll

To da SUPER BOWL

His name be Marcell Dareus!

2 hours ago, EirePacker said:

Haven't watched the bills much this year but was he actually that bad. A 6th round pick, surely the guys worth more then that.

Talent wise he is worth for than a 6th but it was pretty clear he was gone after the season anyway so Buffalo was able to get something out of it and free up some cap space. 

As for this season, last week was his best game by far but he was still just a rotational guy with Washington and Thorton. 

It still irks me that we still have to pay a decent amount and only got a 6th round pick, but BB and McD have preached that they want Team first guys that will buy into their system, and they are doing that. They have a defense really over acieving right now because of that philosophy and they haven’t done anything yet for me to lose faith in them, so I trust what they are doing. Although at some point they are gonna have to give someone that is a loud mouth diva a shot because of talent, but we will see when we get there.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

They can make the playoffs I think, and maybe surprise some teams.

I could see a serious run though next season.

absolutely. they won't make the SB with them QBs though. and before i crown them the top D i want to see them match up with the top AFC offenses. who did they play yet other than the Steelers? 

To state the obvious, this trade doesn't happen if even just one of the teams feels they didn't get "good enough" value...even if I wish we had gotten just a little bit more for Dareus. The trade means that both front offices felt they could justify the move, so realistically, this is a win-win at least on some level. Did the Jags get the better end of the deal? Probably...at least IMO. Jax is getting a DT that is tough for offenses to move out of position in the run game even when he's not giving his all. Surely, Dareus haters can admit to that. Sounds like that is exactly what the Jags wanted/needed. Dareus is also capable of getting some sacks. That's a bonus. Considering the known history between Dareus and Marrone, Marrone must have voiced his approval of this deal. I can't imagine any FO would ignore some negative first hand knowledge from their HC regarding personnel decisions. So, Marrone must see this as a improvement to that D and the Jags' FO must have liked the financial terms. Jags fans should be happy.

My Bills must have felt we got what we could out of it, too. I certainly don't believe this was a 2:AM, drunk-out-of-their-minds kind of decision. Don't believe that some real thought went into this? Just consider we chose to take on ~2/3 of the remaining guaranteed money to NOT have him on the team and admit that to the owners! That has got to be a calculated risk and I applaud them for having the courage to go for it. You can bet he wasn't destined to be around next year...and this year's snap count proves he wasn't thought of as a critical cog in our D. Still, Dareus mostly had a positive effect on our run D the few times when he was actually on the field. Our crappy pass D really has nothing to do with him (or Gaines, but nice try fans who read a headline once about a team they really don't even follow!) as much as the fact that our LBers can't cover to save their lives. Bills' FO got rid of a player that has had issues making good decisions - Bills fans know this in their hearts. Some have said he wasn't the best influence in the locker room, as well, though I can't speak first hand about that. In the end, we mostly just cleared some salary off the books, reduced the potential for more off-field headaches, and might (or probably, Jags fans?) get as much as a 5th rounder in return. Again, this sounds pretty much like a win-win to me. I trust that this move actually will help us down the road. Considering the pathetic pit we have ruled for decades, as long as we are moving forward, I'm happy.

All praise to Beane & McD!

Archived