Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

I almost never say it's good to give up on a rookie (nor SHOULD they under any circumstances) but Lawrence has been an absolute disaster this year. He has been unusually and disappointingly bad not even taking into account he was the 1st overall pick and hyped up as the next generational QB prospect. 

What Quarterbacks do you think you could put into the situation Trevor is in and not be a disaster? All the drama with Urban Meyer and every day a new distraction, the complete lack of run game support, a defense giving up the 5th most points in the league forcing him to play hero ball, and a receiving corps where his best weapon for several weeks has been Laquon Treadwell and paired with in numerous drops and no one who can bail out a bad throw?

I don’t think any QB in the league would look too hot in this situation, and their rookie forms pretty much all would be struggling to just complete a pass with these options out there.

• Like 1

Lawrence has got that javelin thrower delivery. That style has considerably more margin for error in college than the NFL, where the league does not allow one mindless line drive after another. You've got to have variety of pace and loft.

Given that one dimensional style they'll really have to find scheme and personnel that expand the margin for error, like that Coastal Carolina receiver with the huge hands. That's what Ross did for Lawrence as a freshman.

Urban Meyer assumed he could apply the Ohio State concepts to the NFL with no problem. The Buckeyes use underneath crossing routes to terrorize defenses and open up huge windows everywhere. It's one of the main reasons Ohio State quarterbacks can look so much more accurate than they really are.

I thought the Meyer/Lawrence combo would hit big in the NFL. And the primary reason it failed was Lawrence, not Meyer. A confident arrogant coach is going to have a heck of a lot easier time settling himself and making the transition if he's got adequate quarterbacking, and therefore calm. Instead Meyer was failing big for the first time in his life, and imploded.

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Lawrence has got that javelin thrower delivery. That style has considerably more margin for error in college than the NFL, where the league does not allow one mindless line drive after another. You've got to have variety of pace and loft.

Given that one dimensional style they'll really have to find scheme and personnel that expand the margin for error, like that Coastal Carolina receiver with the huge hands. That's what Ross did for Lawrence as a freshman.

Urban Meyer assumed he could apply the Ohio State concepts to the NFL with no problem. The Buckeyes use underneath crossing routes to terrorize defenses and open up huge windows everywhere. It's one of the main reasons Ohio State quarterbacks can look so much more accurate than they really are.

I thought the Meyer/Lawrence combo would hit big in the NFL. And the primary reason it failed was Lawrence, not Meyer. A confident arrogant coach is going to have a heck of a lot easier time settling himself and making the transition if he's got adequate quarterbacking, and therefore calm. Instead Meyer was failing big for the first time in his life, and imploded.

LINE DRIVE

10 hours ago, pwny said:

What Quarterbacks do you think you could put into the situation Trevor is in and not be a disaster? All the drama with Urban Meyer and every day a new distraction, the complete lack of run game support, a defense giving up the 5th most points in the league forcing him to play hero ball, and a receiving corps where his best weapon for several weeks has been Laquon Treadwell and paired with in numerous drops and no one who can bail out a bad throw?

I don’t think any QB in the league would look too hot in this situation, and their rookie forms pretty much all would be struggling to just complete a pass with these options out there.

Look, I'm not saying you guys should give up on him. He's still a terrific prospect and everything you said was pretty much spot on. The issue is that he looks unusually bad. He has basically mimicked Josh Rosen's rookie year so far.

13 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Look, I'm not saying you guys should give up on him. He's still a terrific prospect and everything you said was pretty much spot on. The issue is that he looks unusually bad. He has basically mimicked Josh Rosen's rookie year so far.

In what way exactly are you comparing him to Josh Rosen? Is it just the box scores or are you saying that all the things he can personally control are on par with all the things Josh Rosen could control?

On 12/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, pwny said:

I feel like everyone is agreeing with you - just maybe a slightly different connotation

I think it can be both things. You can be disappointed that his rookie season is underwhelming, and also realize it isn't his fault.

We've seen QBs get absolutely ruined early in their careers, and we've seen QBs excel once they get a better situation.

I still have hopes for Lawrence, but surely you can't feel as good today as you did in August

FWIW, I had the same feelings with Josh Allen. A lot of rookie problems, which I blamed more on his cast than the player himself.

I don't think Lawrence is going to be Josh Rosen - the question is whether his team will give him the tools to allow him to be Josh Allen, or neglect him and force him to be Sam Darnold

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'd be at likeeeeee a 5.2 I think

If he looks like this next year with a competent staff/better weapons, it’s going up to a 8 for me.

I think an off-season, new HC/Offensive staff, getting ETN back, maybe Chark back and whoever they add in FA/Draft, should pay off big next season.

I can’t properly evaluate the kid with the environment he was in this season and the receivers he has. I can see a complete overhaul of our WR room.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

I was expecting huge things from Shenault once Chark went down what's the concensus on him?

We all had big expectations for Viska. He has just been so disappointing. 

Could be one of the worst route runners I have seen. He runs the wrong routes. Drops, from a lack of focus.

If you get the ball in his hands, he is a tank to bring down. Like a bull in a China shop. We did a good job of that early on this past week. He then proceeded to follow that up with two drops. He has been a frustrating player. Allowing Keenan McCardell (WR coach in Viska’s rookie year) to leave was a massive mistake. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I was expecting huge things from Shenault once Chark went down what's the concensus on him?

Terrible route runner and poor hands.

Think most of us realized we didn’t have that ideal #1 in place, but Chark\Marvin/Shenault seemed like a solid top 3. Unfortunately one got hurt, one looks as if age caught up to him, and the other regressed after a fairy promising rookie year.

• Like 1