Big Ben: is he washed?

y*so*blu

Big Ben: is he washed?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yep
    • Nope

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not being a jerk here (intentionally), but last year after their playoff loss, that look on his face was of a man who knew that he was done/washed and wouldn't get another window.

And yet...he came back. 🤬

In fairness, much like this season, its not all on him, but he is done as a franchise QB.

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

In fairness, much like this season, its not all on him, but he is done as a franchise QB.

I was listening to a podcast today and they compared him to the 80 year old, nearly blind grandpa who refuses to give up his license and admit he shouldn't be driving anymore

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 43M said:

No question. Them not getting him any help on the OL is egregious (more so egregious for their running game). That said, his reckless style of extending plays with his former athleticism and ability outside the pocket always made him what he was, especially that hard to bring down factor. When that went, so did his game as a whole, and he never really made that adjustment later on in his career (nor did he ever really take great care of his body tbh). So, when it went, it really went noticeably. His arm isn't great anymore, he's basically a statue, and his OL is a disaster. That's a lousy combination.

Granted, if their defense gets healthy and they're able to figure out how to win a few games, they'll always be a threat because that defense is elite when healthy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No question. Them not getting him any help on the OL is egregious (more so egregious for their running game)

Not a ton you can do when you lose your entire starting OL in one offseason and not having much money to work with in free agency.

People bashed the Steelers numerous times over the years for not drafting OL in the early rounds, but the Steelers typically always pick in the bottom half of each round and most of the better OL are taken before they pick....and they stay true to their board....for better or worse.

And even if we had drafted OL in the first two rounds, good chance it would still be mightily struggling.   Our line is starting 2 mid round rooks and has no experienced veteran leadership on the line.  

People can bash Ben, and yes...he is washed....but this line is a complete mess.   Thing is....we knew it would be, so not sure why Ben even wanted to come back.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I was listening to a podcast today and they compared him to the 80 year old, nearly blind grandpa who refuses to give up his license and admit he shouldn't be driving anymore

More like an 80 year old nearly blind grandpa walking in the middle of a busy intersection and no one is stopping the cars flying at him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’d imagine that he at least thought he’d perform somewhat better (and maybe he will) and probably didn’t want to go out like that last year. JMHO

I think they just honestly thought the OLine would be better off the jump and that thought was there before he committed to coming back. 

Decastro was ready for a bounce back season...until he decided he needed the ankle surgery and is now on the street

Banner was supposed to be ready after his ACL injury in week 1 last season...until his recovery has been delayed by setback or just not being ready as fast

Dotson was, well, not supposed to suck because in his rookie year he played really well. 

That was meant to be 3 of his starting 5. Add the rookie center and an actual competition between Chuks and Dan Moore at LT, and I think its a far better picture. 

The reality -- has been awful though. 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, MWil23 said:

It wasn't just the crying one with Pouncey. He knew, I believe, in that moment, that he was done as a legitimate contender in the NFL Playoffs.

The NFL is a wicked mistress and few leave her on their own terms.
Its got to be brutal for a player of his stature to come to grips with that realization - but the NFL will always be a young man's game.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The NFL is a wicked mistress and few leave her on their own terms.
Its got to be brutal for a player of his stature to come to grips with that realization - but the NFL will always be a young man's game.

Absolutely! I mean, I know how unbelievably hard it was for me as a 22 year old college athlete who had 3 joint surgeries in as many years, and when I wasn't able to go out on my terms, that was nothing short of demoralizing. To have my career "cut short" and knowing that if healthy I could still perform at an elite level, and then being physically unable to go, was nothing short of emotionally draining.