Big Ben: is he washed?

y*so*blu

Big Ben: is he washed?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yep
    • Nope

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He’s been washed since mid season last year. Literally everyone knows this. Arm is gonezo. Why the Steelers kept him, no idea. Ben is the main reason I picked the Steelers to win 5-6 games this year.

I called for Ben to retire after the 2020 season....but the Steelers had no running game last year, and made him throw way WAY too often for a guy coming off major elbow surgery.

If he had a better line and ruuning game, I think he could be okay.   Not great, but okay.

However, with the entire OL breaking up and a new offense, it made no sense for him to come back another year.  

• Like 1

Just now, JohnChimpo said:

How has Haskins looked? I know he was bad in Washington, but it seems like it’s time to try something different. Maybe it would be better to just let Ben ride out the season and draft somebody though.

Haskins is never going to be a starter.    He MIGHT be able to stick around as backup, but I wont be shocked if he ends up like EJ Manuel and completely out of the league in a couple years.

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

Haskins is never going to be a starter.    He MIGHT be able to stick around as backup, but I wont be shocked if he ends up like EJ Manuel and completely out of the league in a couple years.

I kinda figured that, but I haven’t watched him at all since he was with WFT. Thanks.

He's done. He can't make all the throws anymore, mobility is gone and the O-line is making it worse. I think he could be a decent QB manager type in a run heavy/dominate O-line offense, but unfortunately the steelers offensive situation is the complete opposite of that.

Edited by August4th

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yes… he’s been washed since last year. Can you win with him? Yes, but that’s not saying much. The 2015 Broncos won with an even more washed Peyton.

2015 Denver were definitely an outlier. Out of all the previous decades SB winners, they'd probably go to the SB the least amount of times if you simulated the playoffs 1000 times.

It's damn near impossible to win a SB with a zombie QB.

I'm not being a jerk here (intentionally), but last year after their playoff loss, that look on his face was of a man who knew that he was done/washed and wouldn't get another window.

sad-ben.jpeg?w=975

It wasn't just the crying one with Pouncey. He knew, I believe, in that moment, that he was done as a legitimate contender in the NFL Playoffs.

JMHO

• Like 3

I think Ben's arm is fine. Have said so since last year. He can still make every throw.

Where Ben has broken down physically is below the waste (no euphemism intended) and now, I'd say mentally. His knees are an issue. He's probably legit arthritic. He just can't move like he used to and that's his biggest problem. There's inconsistency in his accuracy and he just cannot get the timing down right on his deep throws. It doesn't help matters much that the Steelers only take shots down the field in the form of go-routes.

Mentally, he's taking a beating right now. He doesn't trust himself, his receivers, or his blockers. At least in my opinion. He looks hesitant way too often, but guys who watch the all-22 haven't been very complimentary of the route distribution or the ability of receivers to get open. He does not trust his reads like he did last year in the first half of the season. He's now indecisive on top of everything else going wrong. Learning a new system, or at least new terminology, is probably contributing greatly to that.

I'm pretty much the biggest Ben defender there is, but coming back to this was a mistake. He would have been better off trying to go to a team with more stability on offense. If you're going to learn a new system, make sure it's a system that actually works. Right now it's the same offense as last year with more pistol and the occasional under center snap where they'll actually employ motion.

The scheme sucks (no one watching can deny this - the only question is how much of that is because Ben refuses to change and how much of it is the coaches). The OL sucks. The receivers are overrated, middle of the pack at best as a unit. And Ben can't carry all that at this stage.

18 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

His style of play has caught up to him. He was an amazing qb, could break all kinds of tackles and shrugs guys off. One of the best broken play qbs ever.

Remember those days when a 250-lb linebacker would get a good hit on Ben yet bounce off. It was unreal to watch.