Who was the worst draft pick by your team in your lifetime?

EaglesPeteC

The Rams have made so many mistakes. It's hard to pick just one. In terms of outcomes, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson are the two worst. I'd say Jason Smith was worse because there was no rookie scale at that time.

However, those picks were arguably justifiable. Almost everyone was high on Robinson. I even liked the kid (but my preference was Jake Matthews because I thought he was a safe pick). I think Tye Hill, Jimmy Kennedy, and Alex Barron are the three picks that I'd classify as the worst because of the circumstances surrounding them. At that time, the Rams outsourced the majority of their scouting work. As I recall, the Rams never even met with Kennedy or Barron despite both having massive character red flags. The Rams actually wanted different players but forced the picks based on need after the guys they wanted were selected. 

Since the Rams brought in a competent FO (Snead), the one pick that stands out to be as the worst is the Brian Quick selection. Nobody thought he was going that high. We had the first pick on Day 2. There were much more talented WRs available. Instead, we took a shot on a project who was nowhere near mentally prepared for the pro game because he looked good in a private workout. That was an arrogance pick. We thought way too highly of our coaching staff's ability to develop offensive talent.

I can't sit here and call Robinson a bad pick except in hindsight. The Brian Quick selection was terrible with both hindsight and foresight.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Rams have made so many mistakes. It's hard to pick just one. In terms of outcomes, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson are the two worst. I'd say Jason Smith was worse because there was no rookie scale at that time.

However, those picks were arguably justifiable. Almost everyone was high on Robinson. I even liked the kid (but my preference was Jake Matthews because I thought he was a safe pick). I think Tye Hill, Jimmy Kennedy, and Alex Barron are the three picks that I'd classify as the worst because of the circumstances surrounding them. At that time, the Rams outsourced the majority of their scouting work. As I recall, the Rams never even met with Kennedy or Barron despite both having massive character red flags. The Rams actually wanted different players but forced the picks based on need after the guys they wanted were selected. 

Since the Rams brought in a competent FO (Snead), the one pick that stands out to be as the worst is the Brian Quick selection. Nobody thought he was going that high. We had the first pick on Day 2. There were much more talented WRs available. Instead, we took a shot on a project who was nowhere near mentally prepared for the pro game because he looked good in a private workout. That was an arrogance pick. We thought way too highly of our coaching staff's ability to develop offensive talent.

I can't sit here and call Robinson a bad pick except in hindsight. The Brian Quick selection was terrible with both hindsight and foresight.

I thought Tye Hill was going to be good. Whoops. 

Also, how is Tavon Austin still on the Rams? And is it true he has the highest salary this year of all the wideouts? 

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

We traded up to draft Derrick Harvey.

We traded up to draft Blaine Gabbert one pick ahead of Watt.

We traded up to draft Justin Blackmon.

We drafted a QB to play WR in the first in Matt Jones.

One of those 4. 

And Jeff Fisher threw a temper tantrum because y'all took Blackmon. It's amazing that him and Gordon chose substance abuse over millions upon millions of dollars. 

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nah Manziel was worth the risk. He was a 21 year old kid that dominated in CFB. Weeden was a terrible prospect regardless of his age. Combined with his age, it made for one of the most puzzling draft picks ever.

Manziel wasn't "worth the risk." It was so easy to see that train-wreck coming. Manziel would have been worth the risk in the 3rd round, not in the 1st round.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I thought Tye Hill was going to be good. Whoops. 

Also, how is Tavon Austin still on the Rams? And is it true he has the highest salary this year of all the wideouts? 

Tavon Austin is actually a pretty valuable player as a decoy for us. He's still on the team as one of Jeff Fisher's last gifts to the organization.

And it is not true that he has the highest salary this year. He has the fourth highest cap hit, though.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Tavon Austin is actually a pretty valuable player as a decoy for us. He's still on the team as one of Jeff Fisher's last gifts to the organization.

And it is not true that he has the highest salary this year. He has the fourth highest cap hit, though.

Right. But he was taken 8th overall. You don't draft decoys that high. To be fair, it was from the Fisher era. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Right. But he was taken 8th overall. You don't draft decoys that high. To be fair, it was from the Fisher era. 

Sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't really matter where you drafted him. If he can help the team win, you might as well keep him. Issue is that he got a huge extension before Fisher got fired. That was an obvious mistake. But it's easy to get out of after this year, so no harm no foul.

His pick is basically the personification of Fisher's issue as a drafter of offensive talent. Fisher drafted him to be an integral part of the spread offense he wanted to run (well, I think Schottenheimer wanted it), but he abandoned that idea four or five weeks into Austin's rookie season. Fisher never understood how to develop an offensive identity and draft players according to that, so we ended up with a bunch of misfit toys that didn't fit with the other misfit toys in the poorly-conceived offensive schemes of Fisher's stooges. I'm so glad that guy is gone.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't really matter where you drafted him. If he can help the team win, you might as well keep him. Issue is that he got a huge extension before Fisher got fired. That was an obvious mistake. But it's easy to get out of after this year, so no harm no foul.

His pick is basically the personification of Fisher's issue as a drafter of offensive talent. Fisher drafted him to be an integral part of the spread offense he wanted to run (well, I think Schottenheimer wanted it), but he abandoned that idea four or five weeks into Austin's rookie season. Fisher never understood how to develop an offensive identity and draft players according to that, so we ended up with a bunch of misfit toys that didn't fit with the other misfit toys in the poorly-conceived offensive schemes of Fisher's stooges. I'm so glad that guy is gone.

But do you think he was worth the number 8th overall pick? 

Recently, Aaron Curry. Going back Lamar King. Rick Mirer was a wee bit before my time. 

Honorable mentions,

Chris McIntosh (Injuries)

Marcus Tubbs (Injuries....)

Lawrence Jackson (sorta, 28th pick on JAG isnt too terrible)

Jeremy Stevens (although factored in alot during the 2005 Super Bowl Run)

Josh Wilson, Kelly Jennings (Meh mostly,  JAGs at best)

John Moffit (3rd round though...)

Christine Michael (BUT DAT SPARQ!)

To be honest Seattle hasnt had many busts or duds in the millennium. Alot... I mean ALOT of mediocrity and JAGs though.

Archived