Who was the worst draft pick by your team in your lifetime?

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Probably Brandon Weeden. The Browns have had some terrible draft picks, but drafting a 41 year old ginger in the 1st round just screamed "idiots."

Underratedly terrible draft pick: Leon McFadden. We took this bum 1 pick before Tyrann Mathieu. I know it was a 3rd round pick, but Leon McFadden was small, slow, terrible, and a no-name bum. The fact that Mathieu was taken 1 selection later made me want to vomit...and it turns out I was right to vomit on myself.

Oh and Cam Erving. I'm pretty sure there are grandmothers in hospice that can block better than that big-breasted waste of a life.

Not Manziel? He had to be worse than Weeden, No? At least Weeden stuck around as backup for awhile 

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Take. A. Guess.

The obvious answer is JaMarcus Russell. 

But there is a dark horse argument to be made that Darrius Heyward Bey too.  Yeah, he didn't get the monster contract Russell got and he wasn't drafted ahead of the best receiver prospect ever and he wasn't a first overall pick.  This selection was horrible for entirely different reasons.  DHB was a joke people were making at the Raiders expense.  There were tons of mocks that had him going to Oakland at #7.  But next to none of them were serious and the ones that were serious were done in spite by fans teams that could be considered rivals.  It was a joke at Al Davis' expense, that he would draft someone based entirely on how fast they were at #7 overall.  Someone who looked exactly like the second coming of Troy Williamson but with even worse hands, but it didn't matter because 'lol speedzzzz'. 

And then the Raiders actually drafted Darrius Heyward-Bey.  That was the moment the Raiders organization lead by a hall of fame owner entered into the poe territory.  You couldn't satirize the Raiders anymore because your best attempt turned out to be what the Raiders were actually doing.  Supposedly Michael Crabtree wasn't laughing at the selection, but that screenshot summarized that selection better than anything I could possibly say. 

jv54xe.jpg

20 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Not Manziel? He had to be worse than Weeden, No? At least Weeden stuck around as backup for awhile 

Nah Manziel was worth the risk. He was a 21 year old kid that dominated in CFB. Weeden was a terrible prospect regardless of his age. Combined with his age, it made for one of the most puzzling draft picks ever.

I thought about saying Trent Richardson, but everyone and their mother was saying that was a great pick for Cleveland. We all got duped by that one, whereas NOBODY wanted Brandon Weeden. It came out of left field, shocking fans. And then he backed up that utter shock by being incredibly terrible. I tend to be harder on guy that are universally seen as bad picks at the time. The picks that were praised at their inception make me feel a little less angry. It shows true ineptitude when a team selects someone that has "bust" written all over them.

Oh and Justin Gilbert might be at the top of my list now that I think about it. I remember feeling the happiness physically leave my body when I heard that pick. So many studs and we left the 1st round with a drug addict (Manziel) and a liquified turd (Gilbert). At least people thought Manziel had a reasonable chance to succeed.

David Carr is the simple choice, but he was in a spot where he couldn't succeed. Won't hold that against him.

I'd say it's Amobi Okoye - the Texans D had Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and that was it - so pretty much any defensive player in this spot would have been welcome. The Texans went with the 19 year old DT over the likes of Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis. 

Honorable mention for TE Bennie Joppru over Jason Witten in 2003. Hindsight is 20/20, but ouch.

We traded up to draft Derrick Harvey.

We traded up to draft Blaine Gabbert one pick ahead of Watt.

We traded up to draft Justin Blackmon.

We drafted a QB to play WR in the first in Matt Jones.

One of those 4. 

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Sims

Jackson

Baldwin

All could be picked for the Chiefs.

If you put Jackson, you pretty much have to put Dorsey. Got nearly identical production out of each, at almost the same draft spot. 5 years of solid run defense and no pass rushing productivity whatsoever, before they went on to be a subpar starter somewhere else for a few years.

Though I think Sims runs away with it, honestly. Baldwin was equally bad but was drafted much lower, which makes it a bit less painful. Dorsey and Jackson were picks that were up there, but neither busted that hard. They just weren't playmakers.

Ja

42 minutes ago, iPwn said:

We traded up to draft Derrick Harvey.

We traded up to draft Blaine Gabbert one pick ahead of Watt.

We traded up to draft Justin Blackmon.

We drafted a QB to play WR in the first in Matt Jones.

One of those 4. 

Matt Jones was a top 5 madden WR of all-time for me. He and Bethel Johnson were my obscure monsterous madden players. Loved me some Matt Jones.

...and he actually had a few decent seasons sprinkled into his career before he sprinkled cocaine into his daily routine.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

You are vastly underestimating the length of terribleness of the Patriots before Bill showed up.

Easley isn't even top-5 for you guys.

In your lifetime...

4/5 of the guys you’d name were probably drafted before I watched football.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

David Carr is the simple choice, but he was in a spot where he couldn't succeed. Won't hold that against him.

I'd say it's Amobi Okoye - the Texans D had Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and that was it - so pretty much any defensive player in this spot would have been welcome. The Texans went with the 19 year old DT over the likes of Patrick Willis and Darrelle Revis. 

Honorable mention for TE Bennie Joppru over Jason Witten in 2003. Hindsight is 20/20, but ouch.

You forgot about Travis Johnson. I once took a crap that had more production than he ever had.

Archived