Who was the worst draft pick by your team in your lifetime?

EaglesPeteC

9 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

with Williams, I could not find a logical reason for drafting him, especially that high. Sure he had a really great season with USC but it was one year and his game, IMO, didn't translate that well to the pros. Then you factor in the year off from football and it just didn't even begin to make sense.

i would also put the selection of Ernie sims at #9 ahead of Ebron as far as bad picks. 

Their reasoning for drafting Mike Williams was.... so we have Charles Rogers and Roy Williams.  Our receiver corps has the potential to be amazing..... but just think how much more amazing it would be if we had three great receivers.   We need to do this.

And that was it. 

erxcdjlfkleigcdylrvo.gif

On 10/28/2017 at 11:37 PM, BleedTheClock said:

You forgot about Travis Johnson. I once took a crap that had more production than he ever had.

No, I remember Travis. If I'm listing every bad pick, Travis is on the list, along with Jason Babin. But the worst was Okoye with pick #10.

9 hours ago, coors said:

Jamaal Anderson over Patrick Willis, Revis, and many others from that draft. 

Yeah I'd go for Anderson as well. Al tough technically he was drafted before I became a fan. 

Honorable mentions:

Sam Baker (Dude probably shortened Ryan's career by a few years. Was decent when healthy which was 2 seasons out of his entire career. One of those years got him a big payday though...)

Peria Jerry (Honestly an injury bust. Got injured in his rookie year and just lost all his explosiveness)

Second round picks are a lot uglier though..

On 10/28/2017 at 1:38 PM, steadypimpin said:

There's so many. These are 1st rounders that had no chance

AJ Jenkins - big head scratcher

Rashaun Woods

Kentwan Balmer

Kwame Harris

Jim Drunkenmiller

Balmer over Desean Jackson was bad. Chilo Rachal over Desean was terrible.

17 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Dimitrius Underwood - DE in round one, never made it to the preseason. Had issues.

Troy Williamson - Drafted with the pick received from the Moss trade. Just an awful receiver.

We drafted Erasmus James the same year as Williamson and he was horrible too.

Man... and that 05 class was nice.

Well, I'm a Lions fan and I'm in my late 30s so I guess we're about to test the character limit for posts.

1990 - #7 overall - Andre Ware: Heisman winning QB from Houston, managed to appear in 14 games in his career with 6 starts failing to unseat greats such as Rodney Peete and Erik Kramer.

1998 - #20 overall - Terry Fair: One of the most undisciplined CBs I've ever seen wear the Honolulu blue, he was a constant gambler that would pick off the pass or get burned (with only 7 career INTs he was burned a lot). He was electric with the ball in his hands returning INTs and kicks, but he had 8 fumbles in 3 seasons, simply couldn't trust him.

1999 - #27 overall - Aaron Gibson: A 400+ pound OT from Wisconsin, what could go wrong? He was constantly injured due to his weight problems and when he was on the field he was too slow to be effective. 

2003 - #2 overall - Charles Rogers: Phenomenal talent with no self control. He only managed 15 games in his career due to collar bones made of glass and his inability to not smoke pot. The warning signs were there his entire tenure at Michigan State, but the Lions opted to draft the home state guy over Andre Johnson who went a pick later to Houston. Ouch.

2003 - #34 overall - Boss Bailey: Champ's little brother had a ton of athleticism at the OLB spot but was so soft. The next block he takes on and sheds will be his first. He was viewed as a first rounder that Detroit stole by getting in the second round but he turned out to be a massive bust.

2005 - #10 overall - Mike Williams: A big, slow WR that had't played football for over a year; definitely a Matt Millen special. DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman going with the 2 next picks makes this pick hurt even more.

2007 - #58 overall - Ikaika Alama-Francis: Who? Exactly.

2011 - #44 overall - Titus Young: The troubled WR from Boise State didn't grow out of it and was a headcase both on and off the field. Enjoy your stint in prison, Titus.

2011 - #57 - Mikel Leshoure: A drug suspension after missing a year due to injury didn't bode well, but he was not a good player that was way overdrafted.

2014 - #10 overall - Eric Ebron: A TE in the top 10 that can't catch a cold with Odell Beckham Jr. and Aaron Donald still on the board. Ugh.

2015 - #28 overall - Laken Tomlinson: OG from Duke was so bad he couldn't win a job on a line that was one of the worst in the league. Traded away before his third season.

These are just some of the standouts. This list doesn't include guys like Ryan Broyles (second rounder that was gone after 2 years), Nick Fairley, Drew Stanton, Ernie Sims, Roy Williams, Joey Harrington, Bryant Westbrook, and Chris Claiborne.

And then there are the injury busts Jahvid Best, Louis Delmas, Jordon Dizon (he would have been a second round bust regardless of injury), Kevin Smith, Teddy Lehman, Juan Roque, and Reggie Brown.

My heart is heavy than none of the more-knowledgable Giants' fans (meaning every other poster on their sub-forum) have yet to contribute here!

Thus, the responsibility devolves upon myself.

So many busts, so little time! I see that the O.P. has asked that we limit ourselves to failed picks in our lifetime; this eliminates some of the spectacular failures of the Giants of yore, when by repute they drafted from the pictures in Street & Smith's College Football Annual. Sadly, then, I cannot list such eminences as 1971, RB Rocky Thompson, drafted just before Jack Tatum and Jack Youngblood; or 1974, OG John Hicks of Ohio State, second overall, I think; the Giants deserve special thanks from the Pittsburgh Steelers in helping build their many-Super-Bowls dynasty, for in drafting Hicks, they passed on Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Jack Lambert, and Mike Webster. Somewhere, in the great Three Rivers Stadium in the Sky, Art Rooney is smiling.

So! Restricting myself to modern times, I will bitterly and angrily suggest David Wilson, RB, Class of 2012- last pick of the first round. The Giants had just come off their second improbable Super Bowl win over the Patriots, and were doubtless expecting many more years of glory; nevertheless, they had a need at running back, and were fixated on Doug Martin, the consensus choice, as the ideal solution. Unhappily, Jerry Reese, who will never make a living at Texas Hold 'Em Poker, cleverly masked his intentions from everybody except all persons involved in football in the U.S. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, having read Jerry Reese Wants Doug Martin, Nyaaahh on the wall of a restroom, swooped in and drafted Martin in the pick just before that of the Giants. Reese, stunned and jilted at the altar, availed himself of the grand tradition of Positional Reach, more commonly used by teams needing quarterbacks and left tackles, and selected the next best (on his drafting board) running back available, David Wilson. What mattered that Wilson was considered more of a late-second-round value? He's a running back, right? And we gotta get a running back, right???

David Wilson played one year, and was a good kick-off returner and decent rotational running back; he was not first-round value. In drafting David Wilson, the Giants bypassed, among others, Cordy Glenn, Alshon Jeffrey, and Russell Wilson. Funny coincidence: the Giants today, 5 years later, lack a good left tackle, a big wide receiver, and a mobile quarterback. Just after the 2012 draft they began the latest of their Dark Ages periods, as occasionally befall them; they are as of this writing wallowing in the same mud as the Cleveland Browns (gasp!) and San Francisco 49ers.

It must of course be mentioned that David Wilson's career was cut tragically short after one year by a life-threatening neck injury. The player wisely retired. It must of course be conceded that such injuries cannot be blamed on either the player, nor the team that drafted him. Be that as it may, David Wilson was a panicky Positional Reach on the part of Jerry Reese, and nothing he did in his rookie year suggested that he would become a running back worthy of first-round selection. And while the Giants had made bad draft picks in 2009-10-11, and would make other unproductive picks after- the rest of their 2012 draft was pretty ludicrous- I submit that their future turned on the David Wilson pick. Had they drafted Russell Wilson, Cordy Glenn, etc., I would not have wept myself to sleep so many nights these last 5 years. 

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
11 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry but Danny Watkins be Damned. I still have to give it to 

Freddy "I'd like to Thank my Hands" Mitchell #29

Especially when you look at the list of WR's drafted immediately afterwards  that McNabb " Potentially" could of had for a decade plus during those NFCCG/SB Runs from 01-04'

#30 Reggie Wayne

#33 Quincy Morgan

#36 Chad Johnson

#41 Robert Ferguson

#52 Chris Chambers

#74 Steve Smith

I love how when other teams fans try to show their failures, the Browns ineptitude is still apparent.

Thanks for all the drops Quincy.

I won't lie. As soon as I made the post and looked at the WR I instantly thought how hilarious it would of been had we taken Morgan and the Browns taken Fred X. He's the only one of the 6 that wouldn't of been a upgrade.

For the Seahawks it's Aaron Curry in 2009. Linebackers available in that Draft: Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinatis, Rey Maualuga, Connor Barwin, DeAndre Levy, among others.

In the Pete Carroll's regime, I would say the biggest "bust" was the Percy Harvin trade that involved 2013 1st Round Pick (pass catchers available: DeAndre Hopkins, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Zach Ertz, Giovanni Bernard, Robert Woods, Le'Veon Bell, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed among others), 2013 7th round pick and 2014 3rd round pick (pass catchers available: Davonta Freeman, Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant among others).

1 hour ago, cp0k2 said:

Well, I'm a Lions fan and I'm in my late 30s so I guess we're about to test the character limit for posts.

1990 - #7 overall - Andre Ware: Heisman winning QB from Houston, managed to appear in 14 games in his career with 6 starts failing to unseat greats such as Rodney Peete and Erik Kramer.

1998 - #20 overall - Terry Fair: One of the most undisciplined CBs I've ever seen wear the Honolulu blue, he was a constant gambler that would pick off the pass or get burned (with only 7 career INTs he was burned a lot). He was electric with the ball in his hands returning INTs and kicks, but he had 8 fumbles in 3 seasons, simply couldn't trust him.

1999 - #27 overall - Aaron Gibson: A 400+ pound OT from Wisconsin, what could go wrong? He was constantly injured due to his weight problems and when he was on the field he was too slow to be effective. 

2003 - #2 overall - Charles Rogers: Phenomenal talent with no self control. He only managed 15 games in his career due to collar bones made of glass and his inability to not smoke pot. The warning signs were there his entire tenure at Michigan State, but the Lions opted to draft the home state guy over Andre Johnson who went a pick later to Houston. Ouch.

2003 - #34 overall - Boss Bailey: Champ's little brother had a ton of athleticism at the OLB spot but was so soft. The next block he takes on and sheds will be his first. He was viewed as a first rounder that Detroit stole by getting in the second round but he turned out to be a massive bust.

2005 - #10 overall - Mike Williams: A big, slow WR that had't played football for over a year; definitely a Matt Millen special. DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman going with the 2 next picks makes this pick hurt even more.

2007 - #58 overall - Ikaika Alama-Francis: Who? Exactly.

2011 - #44 overall - Titus Young: The troubled WR from Boise State didn't grow out of it and was a headcase both on and off the field. Enjoy your stint in prison, Titus.

2011 - #57 - Mikel Leshoure: A drug suspension after missing a year due to injury didn't bode well, but he was not a good player that was way overdrafted.

2014 - #10 overall - Eric Ebron: A TE in the top 10 that can't catch a cold with Odell Beckham Jr. and Aaron Donald still on the board. Ugh.

2015 - #28 overall - Laken Tomlinson: OG from Duke was so bad he couldn't win a job on a line that was one of the worst in the league. Traded away before his third season.

These are just some of the standouts. This list doesn't include guys like Ryan Broyles (second rounder that was gone after 2 years), Nick Fairley, Drew Stanton, Ernie Sims, Roy Williams, Joey Harrington, Bryant Westbrook, and Chris Claiborne.

And then there are the injury busts Jahvid Best, Louis Delmas, Jordon Dizon (he would have been a second round bust regardless of injury), Kevin Smith, Teddy Lehman, Juan Roque, and Reggie Brown.

Roy Williams I would say was a good pick. Not only did we get decent production out of him but we also netted 2 1st round draft choices out of him as well.

For me personally, it was spending a 2nd round pick on Chris Henry. I remember watching the NFL combine on NFL Network, and seeing Chris Henry run a fast forty, and the commentators saying coaches are going to go back and look at his tape since he was super unproductive in college, and I immediately said to myself, "that dude is nothing more than a workout warrior and some team is going to overdraft him".

Then the Titans picked him in the 2nd round.

His career highlight:

That play basically sums up his vision as a running back.

Archived