TNF: JAX @ CIN

Sad People

Who wins?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bengals
    • Jaguars

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2021 at 12:30 AM

I just finished watching the game and have to say that, even though we didn't win, I'm still very happy with the progress they have been making during the first four weeks.  There has been improvement every week.

I really don't care about wins/losses this year.  I just want to see them continue to improve.  We knew coming in that this was going to be about a 3-year project.  Overall though, I liked a lot of what I saw.  No turnovers was a big plus.  Eventually games like this will start turning into wins for us.  We'll get there.

It will be interesting to see what Urban does with Travis Etienne when he's back next year.  On the defensive side, I'm really hoping we can get an elite pass rusher in the draft.  Josh Allen is good, but I wouldn't say he is great.  K'Lavon Chaisson is just another guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I just finished watching the game and have to say that, even though we didn't win, I'm still very happy with the progress they have been making during the first four weeks.  There has been improvement every week.

I really don't care about wins/losses this year.  I just want to see them continue to improve.  We knew coming in that this was going to be about a 3-year project.  Overall though, I liked a lot of what I saw.  No turnovers was a big plus.  Eventually games like this will start turning into wins for us.  We'll get there.

It will be interesting to see what Urban does with Travis Etienne when he's back next year.  On the defensive side, I'm really hoping we can get an elite pass rusher in the draft.  Josh Allen is good, but I wouldn't say he is great.  K'Lavon Chaisson is just another guy.

I’m absolutely baffled that the Jags aren’t utilizing James Robinson more. The Etienne pick is puzzling given what Robinson brings. The first few games by theJags it almost seemed like they were purposely not utilizing Robinson. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Most of them aren't very good though. 

People need to lay off the rookie QBs. Turning the ball over is what rookie QBs do; almost all the greats have done the same. People don’t understand that the jump to the NFL your rookie season is typically absurdly difficult, and most of these QBs are put in bad situations to begin with where they are destined to struggle. As long as they are showing flashes of their talent and draft pedigree they are par for the course.

Guys like Justin Herbert who succeed right away are the anomaly. We are too quick to judge this class. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

I’m absolutely baffled that the Jags aren’t utilizing James Robinson more. The Etienne pick is puzzling given what Robinson brings. The first few games by theJags it almost seemed like they were purposely not utilizing Robinson. 

We have been getting him involved the last couple of weeks, but you're right, he needs to get more carries.  My theory on that is that we got kind of flat footed when we lost Travis Etienne to injury just before the regular season started.  I think they were planning on having him be a big part of our offense. 

As others in the Jags forum have speculated, Urban loves speed, and he may have been looking at Etienne as being his Percy Harvin for the Jaguars.  Both are dynamic with the ball in their hands, and are capable of making big plays.  James Robinson, while good, is much more of a "Joe Lunchpail" kind of guy who isn't flashy but just finds a way to get the job done.

It could be that Urban and our OC, Darrell Bevell, had to spend some time remaking our offense in order to get Robinson more carries.  Whatever the reason is, it's just nice to see him becoming a bigger part of the game plan each week.

6 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Urban Meyer understands the same thing. The people employing Urban Meyer understand the same thing.

Given big picture clarity there is nothing more meaningless than results. I have no idea why anyone on this site would believe Urban's stock has dropped over the past month. I guess it's desperation to bring subjectivity out of the bag.

Bad loss for the Jaguars. That was always going to be an extremely energized winless road team desperate to save its season. Scenario reminded me of last year when the 0-2 Dolphins traveled to Jacksonville on a Thursday night. The Jaguars and Minshew were 3 point favorite in that game.

Speaking of odds I don't know who is giving 7.5 points with the Cincinnati Bengals. There is a vast difference between accidentally winning by more than 7 points, and doing it when that's needed to cover the spread. Crowd teams do not cover substantial pointspreads of -4 or higher. Always ask yourself if that type of favoritism is based on the strength of the favorite, or the perceived weakness of the underdog. If it's the latter then you are looking at negative expectancy. The absolute worst bettors I knew in Las Vegas were the ones who somehow always found reason to give points with mediocre teams.

I agree that going for the touchdown was the correct call. Strategy is improving but not necessarily the play calls. Somehow the league has become averse to basic quarterback sneaks from under center. Those are so effective especially when the quarterback walks up and immediately takes the snap on contact. Last week the Raiders found multiple excuses not to sneak against the Dolphins, even though the Dolphins are much more vulnerable to that play than a straight handoff.

The Vegas line certainly didn't seem to take into effect that the Bengals were just coming off an emotional big win against a division rival on a short week. It was a perfect trap game. 

15 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Was anyone else annoyed with that playcall at the 1 to run T-Law again, when he was stuffed? Give it to the RB for goodness sake!

Hindsight, yes, but it's a RB's job from that range. They are built for it.

Yep. Bengals learned that and went to Mixon next. Smart.

No one likes to see injuries, but Chark's injury was a blessing in disguise for the JAX O - since it forced them to use Shenault with a full route tree, instead of the short-area, gadget role that Meyer & co. had pidgeonholed him.   He's clearly their best WR...by far. 

From the early use of Hyde over JRob and somehow thinking Shenault should take over the Etienne/predominant short-area role - can't say Meyer is showing me he can adapt to the NFL game.   In college, he could recruit 5-star talents to stack his roster, and just choose his guys.   In the NFL, you don't get 5-star talent at each spot, and get to pick your guy with no drop-off in production.   Leveraging the most talented players is essential, and I haven't seen it yet - which after a full offseason and TC, is a lot harder to accept this year, than last season.  Meyers' personnel choices so far make me very concerned he's not able to make the best talent assessments for the NFL game.   

The good news is Lawrence's tools really showed out.    Yes, the 4th and goal play sucked - but otherwise, he really showed why he's seen as a can't miss QB prospect.   I know CIN was missing their 2 top CB's - but that just means CIN played like a middle of pack D.    They're a top pass D unit with their guys.   To play this well on the road, and on a short week, speaks volumes to Lawrence's play.    I don't think we'll see Fields, Wilson or Lance be able to do that this early in their careers.  

Sucks that the Jags lost a game they had control of - but Lawrence's play should be a massive bright light to JAX fans.   Urban's talent assessments, on the other hand, are a different story.   He just got the "fortune" that injury put Shenault in the position he's supposed to play from the get go.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1