Our Nightmare is Over: Fields is the guy

beardown3231

I think Nagy genuinely cares for his players, I watched the presser live and you could see how much it impacted him having to tell Dalton he was no longer the starter.

Maybe it was due some promise that was told -- none of us will really ever know -- but as a leader and as a human I respect Nagy 100% for that type of approach.

That being said, he made the decision to have that difficult conversation with Dalton and do what we all knew was right after last week: start the kid and play to his strengths.

I'm 100% on board with all of this PROVIDED THAT we are designing the offense around what Fields loves rather than forcing **** down his throat.

I mean are we really going to deprive Fields of more mental reps in favor of real ones?   Seems unfair that he won't get those and has to settle for actually practicing and developing timing with his WRs.

Maybe Dalton should get all practice reps and Fields just plays the games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I'm a bit disappointed. If he had went to Dalton he would have really pitted himself against the fans and team. I'm all for Nagy being booted and that would have helped.

I mean Nagy has put himself in a near no win now.  He inexplicably puts himself there.   I see no scenario where Nagy returns in 2022 after a Dalton lead 2021 season.

His only hope was to play Fields and for Fields to make enough splash plays that fans would be excited for future.   

Now that he started Dalton, was stubborn and has given up play calling to Lazor he is in no win again.  

If team improves from here on out Lazor is going to get bulk of credit.   If team flounders Nagy is still going to get blame.

Still, I think Fields continuing to make splash plays will save his job.   Regardless, they won't want to change coaches if Fields is developing and looking decent. 

But what if Fields does well under Lazor and then Lazor has interest from other teams in offseason?   Don't you think people will want to keep Lazor and dump Nagy?

Could be interesting.   

Other problem is that Bears are going to be underdogs in nearly every game going forward except for against the Lions and maybe Giants unless injuries happen to other teams.

• Like 2

So Monday he is adamant that Dalton is the guy...Wednesday it is Fields...Foles must be loving the idea of Friday coming given that turn around...

Makes me wonder if Nagy is just opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble...or is he just so incompetent that he doesn't know who his starter should be...or and this is my most probable one...someone higher in the organisation has told him that Fields has to be the guy because if he wasn't fans would riot and people would stop buying tickets...

Either way I just want Fields to get through the rest of this year safely then get into a system under a coach who actually gets what his skill set can be for the next 15 years.  

• Like 3

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-future-is-now-justin-fields-named-bears-starter-over-andy-dalton-171329370.html

Andy Dalton has been in this situation before.  When Cincy drafted Burrows he knew his time as a starter there was over.

When we drafted Fields it was just a deja vu of the situation he found himself in at Cincy.  He moved on to Dallas and actually performed fairly well given the injury issues they had there.  But it was obvious that when Prescott returned Dalton would again be no more than a #2.

So he signs with us for $10 mil as a #1 but with the drafting of Fields he also knows he's on borrowed time as the starter.  He's had his era as a starter and now he'll more than like be a backup for the rest of his career playing for the highest bidder or an injury gets him a shot at starting some games again as it did in Dallas.

The only question now is where will he play in 2022?

Edited by soulman

55 minutes ago, soulman said:

Maybe the best outcome in all of this is that it may also signal a permanent decision on Nagy's part to give up play calling.

I posted a thread in which there's a recording of this weeks Hoge and Jahns Podcast.  They discuss this at length and while they may be a bit more understanding and forgiving than I have been they also promote the fact that the Bears are far better off when Nagy doesn't call plays and that this decision if permanent may actually save his job.

He's not a good play caller and when doing it he's also not a good HC.  He misses too much of the game and fails to see things that can make a major difference in his decision process.  One example is how by hurrying the offense to the LOS after a long ARob reception they forced Detroit into quickly challenging the catch losing a T.O when it was confirmed a catch.

That happened because Nagy's head wasn't buried in his call sheet and because he knew it was a catch because it happened right in front to him.

With Fields now starting it's clear that Lazor should be running the offense while Nagy runs the entire team.  There are other areas that also need to be addressed that require his attention as HC.  This decision could give him the time he needs to better understand what needs fixing on the defense and ST and how to communicate that to Pace so he can prioritize personnel changes properly.

As long as they complete the entire process here it can only be a good thing.  But if Nagy takes back the call sheet and takes over game planning again wanting to run the offense "his way" nothing will change.

Edited by soulman

Nagy just flat out angers me at this point...just finished watching the press conference...he openly says throwing the ball deep helps your run game and your OL even if it isn't a completion...so why did you not even attempt a pass longer than 16 yards against LA or CLE?...why say these things in press conferences and never do them on the field?...

I 99% believe if this was just Nagy's decision Dalton is still our QB and Nagy is back calling plays.

• Like 2

This guy is an utter star in the making...

Spoiler

He went home to tell his parents who were in town. His parents, who were in town, wanted to go out and celebrate but Fields declined.

"I told them and they wanted to go out to celebrate and I'm cool as I'm trying to win this weekend," Fields said

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Nagy just flat out angers me at this point...just finished watching the press conference...he openly says throwing the ball deep helps your run game and your OL even if it isn't a completion...so why did you not even attempt a pass longer than 16 yards against LA or CLE?...why say these things in press conferences and never do them on the field?...

I 99% believe if this was just Nagy's decision Dalton is still our QB and Nagy is back calling plays.

When during a game things don't work out as planned Nagy gets a serious case of butt clench.

IMHO instead of plotting changes and adjustments to his game plan he has always fallen back on too few runs and using nothing but short passes to move the ball.  He may believe that avoids sacks and turnovers but in reality it never has.  Once the other guys get clued in to that they're gonna do just what Cleveland did.  Rush like demons while the secondary sits on those shorter routes.

He's playing right into the hands of the same "bend but don't break" defenses we've run under Lovie, Fangio, and now quite possibly Desai as well.

First off I don't believe this was Nagy's decision. This had to come from George or PACE. I know many here want Pace's head on a spike but the McCaskeys love Pace. And imo Pace is not going anywhere. I believe we saw the first step to the removal of Nagy at the end of the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Should we really be doing this with our offensive line as it is?

Did you not watch the Lions game? Or is that snark? 😉

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I mean are we really going to deprive Fields of more mental reps in favor of real ones?   Seems unfair that he won't get those and has to settle for actually practicing and developing timing with his WRs.

Maybe Dalton should get all practice reps and Fields just plays the games.

Yeah, you gotta wonder what Nagy is thinking, right? 

44 minutes ago, RTD said:

First off I don't believe this was Nagy's decision. This had to come from George or PACE. I know many here want Pace's head on a spike but the McCaskeys love Pace. And imo Pace is not going anywhere. I believe we saw the first step to the removal of Nagy at the end of the year.

Hard to say if Pace is going anywhere else...but, yeah, this was NOT Nagy's decision. No way in hell it was. I'm eagerly awaiting finding out just who brought the hammer down on poor, egotistical Matt...

Edited by Heinz D.