Jamin Davis

lavar703

21 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Hard to figure why a healthy first round pick only gets 13 snaps in a meaningless ( almost ) game.. What's going on there ? can't learn a lot on the bench . can't make any plays or mistakes . Worrisome- did we do it again ?

I've tried being patient with Jamin but I think after yesterday's game you have to be concerned. This was a season low in snap count %. It seems the coaching staff doesn't see him as a MLB anymore.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I've tried being patient with Jamin but I think after yesterday's game you have to be concerned. This was a season low in snap count %. It seems the coaching staff doesn't see him as a MLB anymore.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ron-rivera-reconsidering-best-deploy-182007337.html 

Ya sounds like they think Davis needs to play OLB, with MLB still being a need this offseason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ron-rivera-reconsidering-best-deploy-182007337.html 

Ya sounds like they think Davis needs to play OLB, with MLB still being a need this offseason. 

If it takes the coaches until game 16 to know he is either better on the bench or at OLB that makes you wonder about the coaches.  I can't figure out if he was a horrible draft pick or we have horrible coaching or both.

• Like 3

The OLB thing has been out there a little while, really since they were comparing him to Thomas Davis. 

If they intended to groom him as an MLB, and it just became clear he doesn’t have the chops to play that position as the QB of the defense — I could actually live with that. Disappointing, but everybody misses on evaluations sometimes. At least the theory was good, and if those guys have concluded he can’t do it, then he probably can’t. I would still be trying to make it work with him there, but these guys know LB play.

What would chap my *** is if they came out and indicated that they always intended for him to be an OLB. That would make it a truly dumb pick, on two levels: (1) you don’t take project OLBs in the top 20, just from a positional value perspective, and (2) how do you take Jamin Davis over JOK if you’re looking for an OLB? I liked Davis over JOK because I thought (think) he had legit 4-3 MLB upside and JOK doesn’t — but damn, if you were looking for an OLB and didn’t pull the trigger on JOK, you missed the boat big-time. 

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

The OLB thing has been out there a little while, really since they were comparing him to Thomas Davis. 

If they intended to groom him as an MLB, and it just became clear he doesn’t have the chops to play that position as the QB of the defense — I could actually live with that. Disappointing, but everybody misses on evaluations sometimes. At least the theory was good, and if those guys have concluded he can’t do it, then he probably can’t. I would still be trying to make it work with him there, but these guys know LB play.

What would chap my *** is if they came out and indicated that they always intended for him to be an OLB. That would make it a truly dumb pick, on two levels: (1) you don’t take project OLBs in the top 20, just from a positional value perspective, and (2) how do you take Jamin Davis over JOK if you’re looking for an OLB? I liked Davis over JOK because I thought (think) he had legit 4-3 MLB upside and JOK doesn’t — but damn, if you were looking for an OLB and didn’t pull the trigger on JOK, you missed the boat big-time. 

I still disagree with this take. To me there are 22 players on the field. If you think any player in round 1 can develop into a great player at their position you take them if you have them rated as the best on the board. Davis has the size and athleticism to be a great LB at either MLB or WLB. If I were the WFT coaches I would have signed an upgrade to Bostic like Denzel Perryman or Josh Bynes last March and taken Jamin if they still loved his potential but, I would’ve had him at WLB from day 1.

Then, you’d hope that over this season he would develop and learn the defense and then next year he’d have it down and be more comfortable in the D and could play MLB and if not, so be it. Having a good to great WLB is important to a D also, it’s still a 3 down player. You take the SLB off the field when you go into the nickel or dime or you rush the SLB & take a DT off the field as one of your ends slides down to rush against the guard.

Regardless, I can not for the life of me call any rookie a bad pick after year 1. My hope for him is that he does what Isaiah Simmons did for AZ and takes a big step forward next year at WLB - which is what Simmons plays and he was the #8 overall pick last year and us in this forum amongst others on FF discussed taking him in the top 5.

I’m sure the Lions wish they would’ve taken him over Okudah who I always thought was a product of Chase and Ohio State’s great pass rush and was over drafted. Sadly, so far my thoughts during the 2020 draft process has proven to be true and he also tore his ACL this year like Chase, the sad part about that is that Okudah is clearly not as NFL ready as Chase is. 

Edited by turtle28

55 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I still disagree with this take. To me there are 22 players on the field. If you think any player in round 1 can develop into a great player at their position you take them if you have them rated as the best on the board. Davis has the size and athleticism to be a great LB at either MLB or WLB. If I were the WFT coaches I would have signed an upgrade to Bostic like Denzel Perryman or Josh Bynes last March and taken Jamin if they still loved his potential but, I would’ve had him at WLB from day 1.

Then, you’d hope that over this season he would develop and learn the defense and then next year he’d have it down and be more comfortable in the D and could play MLB and if not, so be it. Having a good to great WLB is important to a D also, it’s still a 3 down player. You take the SLB off the field when you go into the nickel or dime or you rush the SLB & take a DT off the field as one of your ends slides down to rush against the guard.

Regardless, I can not for the life of me call any rookie a bad pick after year 1. My hope for him is that he does what Isaiah Simmons did for AZ and takes a big step forward next year at WLB - which is what Simmons plays and he was the #8 overall pick last year and us in this forum amongst others on FF discussed taking him in the top 5. I’m sure the Lions would’ve taken him over Okudah who I always thought was a product I’d Chase and Ohio State’s great pass rush and was over drafted, sadly, so far my thoughts during the 2020 draft process has proven to be true and he also tore his ACL this year like Chase, the sad part about that is that Okudah is clearly not as NFL ready as Chase is. 

It can be a bad pick after minute one if the theory and rationale behind the pick is bad.

In this case, if they actually always wanted Jamin to play OLB in the NFL, it’s basically the equivalent of taking a guard in the top 20 — when there was another clearly better guard available. That’s dumb. The thought process is dumb, and the evaluation of Jamin over JOK (as an OLB) would be dumb. The whole justification for taking a guy as raw as Jamin is that the ceiling is very high. And if you’re going to intentionally lower that ceiling by sticking him at a low value position, then you’re basically undercutting your own pick. 

As I said in my prior post, I don’t really believe that was their goal. I think they wanted him to play MLB, and I think they’re just giving up on that. Which is disappointing in another way, but at least the rationale behind the pick isn’t deeply flawed. Now we just have to hope that they — and Jamin himself — can salvage the pick by at least developing into a very good OLB. I still like the kid, but I’ve grown cold on the pick based on the substantial step down in value from 4-3 MLB to 4-3 OLB.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, e16bball said:

It can be a bad pick after minute one if the theory and rationale behind the pick is bad.

In this case, if they actually always wanted Jamin to play OLB in the NFL, it’s basically the equivalent of taking a guard in the top 20 — when there was another clearly better guard available. That’s dumb. The thought process is dumb, and the evaluation of Jamin over JOK (as an OLB) would be dumb. The whole justification for taking a guy as raw as Jamin is that the ceiling is very high. And if you’re going to intentionally lower that ceiling by sticking him at a low value position, then you’re basically undercutting your own pick. 

As I said in my prior post, I don’t really believe that was their goal. I think they wanted him to play MLB, and I think they’re just giving up on that. Which is disappointing in another way, but at least the rationale behind the pick isn’t deeply flawed. Now we just have to hope that they — and Jamin himself — can salvage the pick by at least developing into a very good OLB. I still like the kid, but I’ve grown cold on the pick based on the substantial step down in value from 4-3 MLB to 4-3 OLB.

Personally, I don’t think taking a 220 pound LB in top 20 is the best idea either. JOK got to play like Landon Collins did this season. JOK didn’t have an amazing rookie year but it’s true his was better than Davis’s. I saw JOK miss tackles get abused at the line of scrimmage I  the run game and get beat in coverage as well when I watched the Browns.

I’d like to see Jamin to get to play like Collins/JOK as a 6’4, 232 lb guy who runs the same 40 & has similar agility to Collins & JOK. Jamin being 3 to 4 inches taller with a larger wingspan and 10-15 lbs heavier should make for more TFL’s and PD’s for him.

Edited by turtle28