OBJ Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Should we move on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we consciously uncouple from OBJ?

• Yes, he’s a bum who can eat my shorts.
    • Yes, he may be great, but it isn’t working out here.
    • No, 3 years is hardly enough time to figure this out. Patience is a virtue.
    • Absolutely not, my Baker -> OBJ -> Super Bowl tattoo will pay off shortly.

11 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t think a bad team like Detroit even makes sense. OBJ was a malcontent in Cleveland. Why would he be a plus-factor somewhere, thrown in the middle of things, on a wasted year? 

I see him clearing waivers and going somewhere to a playoff contending team in need of a receiver. With an expiring contract, a bad team has no reason to claim that salary as a rental. 

Going to be interesting but from Dorsett point of view pick up waivers try to trade him if not tag him you essentially get obj for 2 years for 20,000,000 somebody will trade you a pick eventually. 

• Like 1

i think it’s a good thing that no details have come out. It does make the FO look good that they weren’t leaking things to make themselves look better. They handled it very professionally. They handled this situation as best as possible. Weren’t worried about winnings or trashing OBJ. Just wanted to make a clean separation imo

Edited by buno67
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

i think it’s a good thing that no details have come out. It does make the FO look good that they weren’t leaking things to make themselves look better. They handled it very professionally. They handled this situation as best as possible

Yeah they definitely took the high road. At least someone did.

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Excellent post buno

How due you run the offense when I double landry and put 9 in the box to stop Chubb

Like Pittsburgh did

by making sure your other WRs are running the right routes and doing it the way the coaches want it. So the WRs get to their spot at the right time for Baker. 

Looks like Jake Trotter, Schefter, and Mary Kay had some details regarding the OBJ and Browns separation agreements incorrect if the Mike Florio report is accurate.

It's been reported that the Browns agreed to pay $7.25 million of OBJ salary if he goes unclaimed thereby only getting a savings of around $800,000 or so dollars this year on his contract. That's seems to be incorrect now given the Florio report.

Looks like now as details emerge that Andrew Berry not only did OBJ a solid, but gave the Browns the ability to at least save $3 Million. It's customary for GMs to basically try to get off the hook for the entirety of the salary, but it looks like Berry gave up pursuing that option to maintain the good will and good faith negotiation with OBJ and his reps to preserve positive GM reputation and an amicable separation.

This all makes more sense given what's known about Andrew Berry than what's been reported yesterday.

Edited by Empire Lies
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So 800K in carryover cap next year?

If OBJ is unclaimed, the Browns pay only $4.25 Million of the $7.25 Million ($3 Million Savings) and the final 2 years of the contract have been voided so nothing carries beyond this year.

If he's claimed, the new team pays the entirety of the $7.25 Million. It remains to be seen pending contract details if that $4.25 mil of that $7.25 Mil would be double dip eligible given the CBA vested veterans termination clause which would mean that OBJ new team would be required to pay him $ 7.25 Mill and the Browns would still have to pay him $ 4.25 Mill even though he'd be claimed.

Florio's reporting that if OBJ is claimed, the Browns owe him nothing else at all meaning there is no double dip eligibility in the termination agreement anymore, which would be an unbelievable negotiation win as thus there would be a $7.25 Mil cap savings.

Andrew Berry and co. did a really good job in their give and take calculations that can prove to be a win win for all involved if one assumes a separation was the only outcome. 

Edited by Empire Lies
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

If he's claimed, the new team pays the entirety of the $7.25 Million. It remains to be seen pending contract details if that $4.25 mil of that $7.25 Mil would be double dip eligible given the CBA vested veterans termination clause which would mean that OBJ new team would be required to pay him $ 7.25 Mill and the Browns would still have to pay him $ 4.25 Mill even though he'd be claimed.

Seems extremely likely that the Browns wouldn't pay him if he is picked up off waivers. That would be a unique deal that would make no sense and I doubt we'd do that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Seems extremely likely that the Browns wouldn't pay him if he is picked up off waivers. That would be a unique deal that would make no sense and I doubt we'd do that.

According to Mike Florio, under the new CBA, the double dip as previously discussed applies to if he goes unclaimed, then the termination agreement controls what amount can be double dipped, but there's apparently still "poison pill" provision under the new CBA that could require still some of the balance to remain on the Browns cap even if OBJ gets claimed. Extremely unlikely, Andrew Berry would agree to that in the contract settlement/restructure, but until the full separation agreement comes out can't know for sure. I doubt it as well.

2 hours ago, Empire Lies said:

Andrew Berry and co. did a really good job in their give and take calculations that can prove to be a win win for all involved if one assumes a separation was the only outcome. 

^^^

Good deal for all involved and the good faith negotiations are likely why OBJ never filed a grievance for being sent home.