OBJ Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Should we move on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we consciously uncouple from OBJ?

• Yes, he’s a bum who can eat my shorts.
    • Yes, he may be great, but it isn’t working out here.
    • No, 3 years is hardly enough time to figure this out. Patience is a virtue.
    • Absolutely not, my Baker -> OBJ -> Super Bowl tattoo will pay off shortly.

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

His 2021 salary was guaranteed because of his 2020 injury or we likely would have cut him in the offseason. No one else wanted that contract.

His base salary doesn't matter, his bonuses are included in that contract and follow him if he is traded or picked up off waivers. So it is 15 million.

You can cut him at no expense after this season so you aren't "stuck" with him but if you paid a 3rd and agreed to his salary you couldn't just cut him without taking a loss. Unless of course you get to the point where the loss is worth it to get him out of your building, which is where we are now.

The conversation was about waiting until the offseason to move OBJ.

After the new league year when his contract converts to non-guaranteed, a team absolutely could give up a 3rd and cut him without having to pay his base salary as long as it was done before the vested veteran termination pay stimulation kicked in. The only loss would be paying for his services and time during offseason OTA/salary agreements.

OBJ's 2021 base salary was guaranteed because he's a Vested Veteran (having accrued over 4 years) via the CBA meaning that as long as he's on the 53 man roster week 1 he's guaranteed the remainder of his salary balance as termination pay. He only had about $1.5 Million in roster or other guaranteed bonuses this year.

Once the season is over in the "the offseason," that base salary balance is paid and his contract converts to non-guaranteed at the start of the new league year. At that time, a team trading for him would have no cumbersome bonus to pay him nor no injury guarantees or upfront new guaranteed money. That means from March to Week 1, 53-man roster they could cut him with zero cost repercussions as a dead cap hit and his offseason roster bonuses.

When guys are on non-guaranteed contracts like that teams often restructure the contract to take away cap/salary burden and manage vested veteran risk while incentivizing the player with some new up front money. That mitigates risk moving forward and importantly OBJ's contract then can be moved in the offseason to another team without that team having to worry about big guaranteed bonuses and dead cap hits.

Myles Garrett with some pointed and thoughtful critique about the players perspectives and disappointment that Andrew Berry and Stefanski let it spiral out of control without keeping them in the loop and collaboratively trying to figure out things.

Edited by Empire Lies

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

They must have held on, because they thought they could make a bad marriage work.  It's quite obvious they were wrong!!!!

Why not try and make it work? No one was going to give you anything substantial for him and you were going to be stuck with his money one way or another.

you gotta risk it for the biscuit. You know the nerds prolly played all the scenarios and thought it would be worth it. Kinda like Stef when he goes for it on 4th down all the time. Guess what it wasn’t worth it. Not gonna win them every time but if you don’t try your going to lose anyways.

Just like Koby gambled on drummond and it didn’t work out. You think it would have stopped him from going after aging vets but guess what, it didn’t and he took a risk on Rubio. The Rubio move looks awesome right now and it might lead to a playoff birth or trade him for an asset.

26 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

Myles Garrett with some pointed and thoughtful critique about the players perspectives and disappointment that Andrew Berry and Stefanski let it spiral out of control without keeping them in the loop and collaboratively trying to figure out things.

I find it odd he was disappointed his boss and his boss’s bosses didn’t keep him in the loop but was apparently fine with his good friend never mentioning to him he wanted out. 

Whatever, he’s gone.

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Why not try and make it work? No one was going to give you anything substantial for him and you were going to be stuck with his money one way or another.

you gotta risk it for the biscuit. You know the nerds prolly played all the scenarios and thought it would be worth it. Kinda like Stef when he goes for it on 4th down all the time. Guess what it wasn’t worth it. Not gonna win them every time but if you don’t try your going to lose anyways.

Just like Koby gambled on drummond and it didn’t work out. You think it would have stopped him from going after aging vets but guess what, it didn’t and he took a risk on Rubio. The Rubio move looks awesome right now and it might lead to a playoff birth or trade him for an asset.

Yes...the nerds were wrong on this one.  Pretty much exactly what I said.  They had all the info.  They should of made a better decision.  They didn't!  It's not the end of the world, or the last mistake they will make, but it would of been nice for their collective brains to have seen this one coming!

I am absolutely good to move on without him, but the reality is that we may have a bigger problem on our hands if Baker flames out!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Yes...the nerds were wrong on this one.  Pretty much exactly what I said.  They had all the info.  They should of made a better decision.  They didn't!  It's not the end of the world, or the last mistake they will make, but it would of been nice for their collective brains to have seen this one coming!

I am absolutely good to move on without him, but the reality is that we may have a bigger problem on our hands if Baker flames out!

He won't. Baker is about to begin his ascent. I am not gonna bank on it starting until next year, but it could start this year if he's healthy enough.

I don't understand what there is to hate on the nerds for with this.

They have played it right. It's just that OBJ is such a cancer that the team needs him gone now. 

Kerp him and the whole season is about him. Every presser is OBJ questions. It's a sideshow we don't need.

Let him go be someone else's pain in the arse.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

But honestly Berry and Co sht the bed if he asked repeatedly to be traded and they didn’t. 

This is “same old Browns” BS and I sure af didn’t miss it 

I really don’t believe he was asking for a trade during the summer. That issue would have came out. OBSr. Prolly would have tweeted about it.

Just now, buno67 said:

I really don’t believe he was asking for a trade during the summer. That issue would have came out. OBSr. Prolly would have tweeted about it.

It would have been a difficult trade. His salary gtd. We either eat all of it, but only get a 4th at best or we have to pay someone to take it. 

It was made worse when we consider that the gap basically shrunk this year with differed payments.