OBJ Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Should we move on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we consciously uncouple from OBJ?

• Yes, he’s a bum who can eat my shorts.
    • Yes, he may be great, but it isn’t working out here.
    • No, 3 years is hardly enough time to figure this out. Patience is a virtue.
    • Absolutely not, my Baker -> OBJ -> Super Bowl tattoo will pay off shortly.

38 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

There are known knowns and known unknowns.

You are absolutely correct in saying that we don't know what the Saints offered or any team offered.

What we do know is that the Browns didn't have to cut him and could've waited until the offseason. That would've taken a level of organizational leadership and commitment that the Browns weren't willing to invest, but it's likely it would've at least yielded the Browns some sort of draft compensation beyond a 4th rounder due to Beckham's skill, age, previous accomplishments, current film (ups and downs), and the fact that teams would be inheriting a non-guaranteed contract.

It's for that reason (i.e., I think the Browns pissed away at least a 3rd rounder this offseason by sticking it out), that I think that's a bad move by Berry. 

Yeah but you're delusional if you think he has anything close to that value with his contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

According to this article, that wasn't the case, and Beckham had asked for a trade prior to coming back from surgery.  If so, big miss by the nerds.  They haven't made many mistakes, but this is certainly one!

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-to-release-odell-beckham-jr-friday-as-soon-as-the-financial-deal-is-reached-after-steelers-game-was-the-last-straw-for-his-camp-source-says.html

Expand  

The only thing I can think is they couldn’t find a taker.

Between his salary and coming off an acl, it’s certainly possible.

Why TF would he ask for a trade from a team where he always gets the most targets that is coming off of a playoff win?

Not saying he didn't but if he did that makes team OBJ look worse, not better.

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah but you're delusional if you think he has anything close to that value with his contract.

You're delusional if you don't understand how non-guaranteed contracts work in the NFL with no dead money cap hit come the offseason/new year and that OBJ's 13.75 mill contract base salary relative to this offseason Free Agency WR market reset based on Amari Cooper's current 20 mil base salary contract would mean that OBJ contract would be of minimal risk, especially given that non-guaranteed contracts allow for easier restructuring.

To facilitate a move which OBJ would've been motivated to do he likely would've agreed to some sort of contractual negotiation that the team making the move for his services would've been fine with given their surrender of a particular level of draft compensation. Even without the restructure, the value of the contract when it's non-guaranteed as cap space with no dead money cap hit is something GMs love to incur and gamble on especially if it's a talented player.

Berry fumbled this one. Nothing fatal or earth-shattering. But it was a miss. A dad tweeting and a player requesting a move is small potatoes. He owed to the organization to work through it until the offseason to at least pursue what would likely be a 3rd round pick by many estimations. 3rd rounders or higher don't grow on trees. The Browns paid 16 million for a 2nd round pick with Osweiler. Paying 8 Mil and investing some resolution resources with OBJ for the rest of the season to get a 3rd rounder at least in the offseason would've been worthwhile. 

Edited by Empire Lies

49 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

3rd rounder

Who TF is giving up a 3rd or better for a WR coming off of ACL surgery and has a $15m contract due for him? 

ABSOLUTELY NO ONE! That’s who! We all Know you live in all-22 fantasy land but their is no way OBJ is fetching that. We just saw the browns eat his contract so he will get claimed by a non threat of a team. If he was going to fetch anything, they would have made that deal. Also no reason to keep him on the roster and around. It would just fester and cause more problems down the road. You cut your costs and move on

(waits for a 15 paragraph response )

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Why TF would he ask for a trade from a team where he always gets the most targets that is coming off of a playoff win?

This isn’t a WR friendly system.  Thielen, Diggs, OBJ all averaged 5-6 targets a game in the offense. League leaders are almost double that.

Dude knew he was gonna be a FA before long I’d imagine and wanted an opportunity to showcase his abilities and wanted a higher volume of throws.

Tbh what he wants is to be paid, to be highly targeted, to win, and to have an exceptionally talented QB who can work with his ad libbing.  It’s a lot to ask, let’s see how it works out for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Again you say he was coming off of major surgery..ok... what team is trading for a WR who is going to cost a lot of money and is coming off of major surgery? Please tell me, what franchise is going to trade for a $15m OBJ coming back from ACL surgery? You want a useless 7th rd pick? Not trading OBJ in the offseason was worth the risk. No one wanted a healthy looking disgruntled OBJ that was worth $8m hence why he wasn’t moved at the deadline and only talks were had

If you read the article....then all you needed to see is that he wanted out!  It doesn't matter if we got a bag of peanuts for him, it's obvious he was disgruntled for awhile.  If it wasn't after the surgery, then it should have been after his recovery.  We ultimately let him walk anyways...so why not get SOMETHING.  Your answer is who is giving up something?  I doubt that we couldn't have gotten a 7th, or some type of conditional pick before, during, or after the surgery.  Who cares about value at that point.  They must have held on, because they thought they could make a bad marriage work.  It's quite obvious they were wrong!!!!

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think he looks good at all, nor do I think he cares.  We should have granted his wishes sooner, since the outcome appears to have been predictable.

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

You're delusional if you don't understand how non-guaranteed contracts work in the NFL with no dead money cap hit come the offseason/new year and that OBJ's 13.75 mill contract base salary relative to this offseason Free Agency WR market reset based on Amari Cooper's current 20 mil base salary contract would mean that OBJ contract would be of minimal risk, especially given that non-guaranteed contracts allow for easier restructuring.

To facilitate a move which OBJ would've been motivated to do he likely would've agreed to some sort of contractual negotiation that the team making the move for his services would've been fine with given their surrender of a particular level of draft compensation. Even without the restructure, the value of the contract when it's non-guaranteed as cap space with no dead money cap hit is something GMs love to incur and gamble on especially if it's a talented player.

Berry fumbled this one. Nothing fatal or earth-shattering. But it was a miss. A dad tweeting and a player requesting a move is small potatoes. He owed to the organization to work through it until the offseason to at least pursue what would likely be a 3rd round pick by many estimations. 3rd rounders or higher don't grow on trees. The Browns paid 16 million for a 2nd round pick with Osweiler. Paying 8 Mil and investing some resolution resources with OBJ for the rest of the season to get a 3rd rounder at least in the offseason would've been worthwhile. 

His 2021 salary was guaranteed because of his 2020 injury or we likely would have cut him in the offseason. No one else wanted that contract.

His base salary doesn't matter, his bonuses are included in that contract and follow him if he is traded or picked up off waivers. So it is 15 million.

You can cut him at no expense after this season so you aren't "stuck" with him but if you paid a 3rd and agreed to his salary you couldn't just cut him without taking a loss. Unless of course you get to the point where the loss is worth it to get him out of your building, which is where we are now.

6 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I don't think he looks good at, nor do I think he cares.  We should have granted his wishes sooner, since the outcome appears to have been predictable.

No one was going to trade for him unless we paid most of his salary, that made no sense for the Browns.

Also, screw his wishes. I wish a lot of things but it doesn't mean they will or should be granted. He isn't special. He thinks he is but he isn't. He will never be a top 40 WR again and he will need to adjust to accept that before he can be a truly be on any team at this point without causing issues.

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Crazy how much we sound like Giants fans in 2018 😂 

I hope he signs with Green Bay. He needs an established QB. 

I was always worried they were right, but I had hope. Thought Landry would be a big difference here. Should have known when he pouted after the trade that it wasn't going to work out but it's easy to see all of the signs once the relationship is over.

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No one was going to trade for him unless we paid most of his salary, that made no sense for the Browns.

Also, screw his wishes. I wish a lot of things but it doesn't mean they will or should be granted. He isn't special. He thinks he is but he isn't. He will never be a top 40 WR again and he will need to adjust to accept that before he can be a truly be on any team at this point without causing issues.

Agreed on screw him and his wishes, but WE ENDED UP CUTTING BAIT ANYWAYS.  Why didn't we just hold onto him, and make him play out the rest of the season then?  I don't believe that there wasn't anyone willing to give up something.  It has never been out in the media that there were even any trades explored.  They didn't have the foresight to see this coming, and they should have.  That is definitely on the FO.