Week 6 GDT: Raiders (3-2) @ Broncos (3-2)

NYRaider

Who ya got?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will we win post Gruden?

• Yes
    • No

I have just finished watching the 1st half of the All 22 from the game - not sure if you guys are talking about Damion Square at all, but he was unbelievable in the 1st half.

Consistently penetrating on zone blocking (as you're taught to do - don't just flow with the blocks) and very stout against man, power blocking.

Really impressed.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I have just finished watching the 1st half of the All 22 from the game - not sure if you guys are talking about Damion Squire at all, but he was unbelievable in the 1st half.

Consistently penetrating on zone blocking (as you're taught to do - don't just flow with the blocks) and very stout against man, power blocking.

Really impressed.

Very interesting! I honestly can't say he jumped off the screen to me and I normally watch the DL closely.

What's really been shocking to me (in a good way) is that we seem to just be plugging guys in left and right and they are contributing, but more than that, they're looking good and not making big errors or getting caught out for big plays.

We've been without even an average DC in so long I think we've all forgotten what good coaching looks like and what that can do for a team 😁

All the guys Gus Bradley has brought in under the radar have contributed...... Square, Perryman, Philon who has been something of a revelation, Thomas, Facyson, Teamer and none were widely touted or heralded. Add to that Hayward has been playing at a Pro Bowl level and it's like we've woken up in a parallel universe where we actually play good defence.......🤔

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I have just finished watching the 1st half of the All 22 from the game - not sure if you guys are talking about Damion Square at all, but he was unbelievable in the 1st half.

Really impressed.

Yep Gus Bradley guy. I have to say it every time: who your defensive coordinator is does matter

12 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Really impressed.

Saw your posts in the Broncos sub; top analysis as ever.

Square is another of Bradley’s plug & play guys who have far exceeded expectations. A welcome alternative from signing “pedigree” defenders who then proceed to stink out the joint for a couple of years on inflated salaries.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Olsen telling Ruggs I can’t waste a guy like you. Hmm…..

I mentioned in the Broncos forum how much Ruggs' speed jumps out on the All 22. The guy just takes away DB cushions in a flash. He's the PERFECT compliment to Waller as well, just like Kelce is to Hill for 'the team that shall not be named'.

Right now, all teams are going to shade one of their Safeties to Waller, especially in obvious passing situations. Vic Fangio is a Defensive Coach and he called Waller one of the best 10 players (at ALL positions) in the league; that's the respect he has, so he's going to draw high-low bracket coverage.

Because of that, it makes it much more difficult to do the same with Ruggs without leaving huge pockets of space in your Defense. In addition what it also means is that you can't press Ruggs. If you press Ruggs without a Safety bracket over the top that is suicide. He's too quick and the throw window is just too wide to risk it.

With Renfrow there to take advantage in the middle of the field should teams use a double Safety shell for Ruggs and Waller, the pieces are definitely there if your pass pro can hold up like it did on Sunday.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I mentioned in the Broncos forum how much Ruggs' speed jumps out on the All 22. The guy just takes away DB cushions in a flash. He's the PERFECT compliment to Waller as well, just like Kelce is to Hill for 'the team that shall not be named'.

Right now, all teams are going to shade one of their Safeties to Waller, especially in obvious passing situations. Vic Fangio is a Defensive Coach and he called Waller one of the best 10 players (at ALL positions) in the league; that's the respect he has, so he's going to draw high-low bracket coverage.

Because of that, it makes it much more difficult to do the same with Ruggs without leaving huge pockets of space in your Defense. In addition what it also means is that you can't press Ruggs. If you press Ruggs without a Safety bracket over the top that is suicide. He's too quick and the throw window is just too wide to risk it.

With Renfrow there to take advantage in the middle of the field should teams use a double Safety shell for Ruggs and Waller, the pieces are definitely there if your pass pro can hold up like it did on Sunday.

honestly, Ruggs Waller and Renfrow different skill sets all work together so well. 
For all the hate I had with Gruden on Sundays LOL, he did have a plan for how to build this O. 

Ruggs / Waller combo is dangerous, unless you have a 4.2 corner, Ruggs pulls the safety. Waller deserves a double team almost every down. Which means little Hunter, is going to constantly be in 1 on 1 situations, against a #2 or #3 cb. 

It seems now, on 3rd downs teams are started to double waller and renfrow as they are Carrs go to check down / move the stick guys, which is leaving Ruggs and Edwards 1 on 1. Our top 2 X and Y WRs are essentially left 1 on 1 on a lot 3rd downs. Not to many teams get that.  If the line holds up, Ruggs will win with speed. 

On 10/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, NYRaider said:

Sweep who? I have no idea what will happen in 2 months when we play again, I'm strictly referring to this week. The Broncos started 3-0 with wins over the Giants, Jaguars, and Jets. Two weeks ago they lost 23-7 to the Ravens and last week they were down 24-6 against the Steelers in the 4th quarter until garbage time scores, the game wasn't close at all. 

Against the Ravens their drives: Punt, Punt, Punt, TD, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, INT. 

Pittsburgh's OL is a mess just like ours and the Broncos had 1 sack and allowed 130 rushing yards.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, NYRaider said:

Henry Ruggs are you there?

On 10/17/2021 at 2:54 AM, NYRaider said:

Reasons why we win:

• Their defense has been absolutely destroyed with deep passes over the last couple of weeks and hasn't been able to get to the QB.

• Their offensive line is just as bad, if not worse, then ours. 

Maybe I do know what I'm talking about

A couple of observations from watching this film breakdown:

-Leatherwood looks really good guard in this one for last week which looked like he needed a game to get acclimated from playing right tackle to playing guard again

-Parker, though we had a good game, also had a lot of help. See why they're bringing in DJ Bluegrass a speculative add that if he can get in shape possibly give us more of a sure thing at right tackle

-Solomon Thomas is a dogg

-It looks like Greg Olsen took the John Gruden style and just added a thing or two(screen pass and play action) which are both welcome sights

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

If teams run 2 deep we can run and check down to renfrow/drake all day.