What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. A pretty dark comedy with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez - those three live in the same luxury apartment in NYC and are big true crime podcasts fans, and start to apply their true crime chops once a tenant is found dead in their building. Each one of our amateur detectives has their own secret they try to keep under wraps as they start to find actual evidence that points to something more than what the police find...

First three episodes are up, it's a really good show.

Another bleak comedy on Hulu/FX we've been into: Reservation Dogs. It's a story of four kids living on one of the Native American reservations in Oklahoma - dirt poor, no real future to look forward to, sort of living out life one day at a time. They're resorting to petty crime when they get targeted by another group of Native American kids as a potential gang war...

It's really bleak, sort of sad - but hilarious in its own right. You get to see how life is on these reservations, and it's not pretty - not pretty at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. A pretty dark comedy with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez - those three live in the same luxury apartment in NYC and are big true crime podcasts fans, and start to apply their true crime chops once a tenant is found dead in their building. Each one of our amateur detectives has their own secret they try to keep under wraps as they start to find actual evidence that points to something more than what the police find...

First three episodes are up, it's a really good show.

Martin & Short are comedic gold esp together.  Their comedy special on Netflix is hilarious.  Looking fwd to watching this but I think I'll let more episodes stack up so I can binge it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Martin & Short are comedic gold esp together.  

Fully agreed - surprisingly, Selena Gomez is very adept in between these two heavyweights, she adds in a completely different element that is unique to her, but gives those two a completely different dynamic to feed off from. Perhaps it's the writing, but she's doing a fantastic job with this show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Fully agreed - surprisingly, Selena Gomez is very adept in between these two heavyweights, she adds in a completely different element that is unique to her, but gives those two a completely different dynamic to feed off from. Perhaps it's the writing, but she's doing a fantastic job with this show.

shes good in The Dead Dont Die too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

The Night Of is a horror story 

Getting denied bail was one of the most pivotal points in the show. With it, he might’ve been able to get back to some semblance of a normal life once the case resolved in his favor. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Mercifully reached the end of The Outer Banks, so we started All American and I'm not sure if this is going to be any better.  Please tell me it gets better.

I enjoyed All American.  Its more cheesy drama than I expected but I thought it was a good watch.  Well at least the first two seasons, havent got to the third since they brought it to Netflix. 

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I enjoyed All American.  Its more cheesy drama than I expected but I thought it was a good watch.  Well at least the first two seasons, havent got to the third since they brought it to Netflix. 

We got through 3 episodes last night and it got a little better.  I think they jammed a ton of stuff into the pilot to get the story set up and then used episode 2 to stablize a bit, and if they can settle into some better storytelling like we got in episode 3, then I see the potential.

As for Outer Banks, at this point I want season 3 to kick off with the brutal murder of all the pogues.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 6:38 PM, Ty21 said:

The Night Of is a horror story 

Oh yeah, this was a fantastic show, and a coming out party for Riz Ahmed. I might need to watch it again.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:26 AM, ET80 said:

Only Murders in the Building on Hulu.

This show is just fun - a goofy whodunnit, a deep dive into the true crime podcast sub genre, a neat little character study with three completely different characters (each with their own unique backstory that fits into the larger picture). There are a few well thought out cameos, and each one is adding something new to the story. I fully expect this show to ramp up even further than where it is, and it's on pretty high ground.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:26 AM, ET80 said:

Another bleak comedy on Hulu/FX we've been into: Reservation Dogs.

I guess I never stopped to think about it, but life on an Indian reservation is horrible. There's no sort of future in it - you just live from day to day, scrape by on whatever you can get your hands on and move forward to the next day, where you scrape by on whatever you can get your hands on to move forward to the next day.

Sure, there are moments of brevity to be had - but all in all, it's a pretty horrible life. This show captures the brevity, but it heaps an incredible amount of that bleakness all over it. You laugh, but you know most of these kids here won't graduate high school, won't get an education, won't get out and move up in the world, or won't live to their 40s.

Just really... bleak.

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh yeah, this was a fantastic show, and a coming out party for Riz Ahmed. I might need to watch it again.

Do it. I watched it originally when it came out and had to wait each week for the eps but I just watched it all now in two days after hearing the actor that played Freddy in it and Omar in the wire just died 

• Like 1