Trade Deadline

Aztec Hammer

Here are a few points that I think are being left out about our QB Search...

1. People keep saying that, "We missed on Wentz".....we were a football team in year 1 of a COMPLETE demolition and reconstruction.....they identified the QB they wanted in Goff and WERE NOT ABLE to get him...we were a team that was not in position to turn down a LOAD of draft picks, to take a QB we had rated not at #1 @ his position.....AND coming from a Small School AND only having started 1 season.....instead of taking a chance on a 1 season starter from a tiny school, they decided to take our starting RT our #1 Olineman off the bench, a #1 Wr (injuries have derailed things here) 2 starting safties, our starting QB (jury is out on the rook) our #2 QB and a 1rst and 2nd round picks this season......so when you look at that....we could have Wentz or a starting Oline, starting safeties and I still like Kizers potential once we a Wr corps that does not drop 8 passes, have 4 OPI's AND have a tip pass that leads directly to an INT.

2. People keep saying we missed on Watson.....Watson was the 3rd QB taken?!?!?! There were a TON of teams in the NFL who didnt think that much about Watson..Including Chicago,  KC, SF...BUFF, the Jets and ton of other teams that need a QB. So us not taking the 4th QB on most people's board.....still in the middle of rebuild....could we take a shot on the #4 QB on most boards from a school that produced the greats such as Tajh Boyd, Woddy Dantlzer and Clipboard Jesus? WITH size AND Arm Strength issues heading the AFC North......I dont see how we can turn down a starting FS and control of the entire 1rst 2 day's of the next years following draft (which is supposed to have the best QB crop in the past 20 years).....

3. The Jimmy G trade....it cost an NFC team a top 3 2nd round pick.....it would have cost an AFC a 1rst round pick....and if the Texans come back to earth (there is starting to be tape on Watson) were talking a potential top 10-12 pick....and for Jimmy G (Pats backups have a history)....or ANY QB not a sure thing....that is too rich for my blood

Both of these moves seem like the SOLID moves to me......both teams were in better positions to take those type of chances......I dont see how we take either of those two....in the position we were in at the times......UNLESS someone could say they were SURE these two would pan out the way that they have.....

Just my Humble opinion

As My old man user to say....HELL YEAH I'da bet it all, IF I knew an Ace of Spades was GOING to be the River Card.....

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

I THINK TRADING JOSH GORDON for a low pick is dumb ball not money ball. 

We could win games this year with average Josh Gordon. 

I don't think moneyball plays into this.

Either they trust him that he'll be sober and they keep him or they don't and he's traded.

4 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

His last offense was drinking half my college would be ineligible.

In short keep him his last offense was alcohol and he has been clean for more than a year.

At my College (when I was in college many moons ago) it would have been SIGNIFICANTLY higher LOL...IF it was JUST drinking.....LMAO

EVEN HIGHER if we added everything he HAS been on LOL...

In general, a leopard doesn't change his spots. My gut instinct tells me Josh Gordon will always inherently be near enough the same version of himself. Might fluctuate for better or worse for small periods but he is who he is. People can change but my experience tells me it's a much rarer sight than most believe. That's because it's easier to recall those lovely redemption stories as opposed to the countless examples of wasted life, talent, potential. Gun to my head, the Josh Gordon story will end similarly to the way it has always been; as that of a flawed man full of wasted talent.

All that being said... why trade him? His value is at such a low point that the only tangible benefit you get from ridding yourself of him is clearing the headache. But is it even a headache if he's just an afterthought? It would be a much bigger headache if the man were to pull himself together and produce in line with his extreme talent for another team.

And even I can't deny, the thought of Sam Darnold throwing to Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Duke and another first round WR/RB warms the soul. All under the watchful eye of head honcho, Peyton Manning.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

In general, a leopard doesn't change his spots. My gut instinct tells me Josh Gordon will always inherently be near enough the same version of himself. Might fluctuate for better or worse for small periods but he is who he is. People can change but my experience tells me it's a much rarer sight than most believe. That's because it's easier to recall those lovely redemption stories as opposed to the countless examples of wasted life, talent, potential. Gun to my head, the Josh Gordon story will end similarly to the way it has always been; as that of a flawed man full of wasted talent.

All that being said... why trade him? His value is at such a low point that the only tangible benefit you get from ridding yourself of him is clearing the headache. But is it even a headache if he's just an afterthought? It would be a much bigger headache if the man were to pull himself together and produce in line with his extreme talent for another team.

And even I can't deny, the thought of Sam Darnold throwing to Gordon, Coleman, Njoku, Duke and another first round WR/RB warms the soul. All under the watchful eye of head honcho, Peyton Manning.

I think if the team is going well Josh Gordon will go well. I think Josh maybe one of those guys that if the environment is bad he has poor mental health and if the environment is good then he will have good mental health. Next yearcould be a good year for the Browns if we have a healthy offense and defense and something that resembles an NFL QB. 

16 minutes ago, matt27j said:

I think it'd be best for him to have a change of scenery. AFC team for me would be the Jags because they are in AFCS. Bears would be good. 49ers probably would be best QB wise, system fit, and personal offseason activities.

Change of scenery? He hasn’t been around in 3 years with the exception of last years pre season. A change of scenery for him would be being on a football field. 

Archived