Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

if kizer wasnt ready, he shouldnt have started. once he did you live with the results, dont bench him then go back to him.

Kiser was at least making plays in the preseason and earlier in the year.

Most of us can live with turnovers if he's also putting the ball in the endzone, but that kinda stopped.

I'm not defending the decisions, but I think bad coaching decisions are easy to make when you're trying to turn chicken poop into chicken salad on a weekly basis.

I don’t understand this. Yes, ideally they would like to see more progression this year than last but a scenario where they are as bad as they are right now was definitely built into their model. It’s complicated by how good some of the QB’s from last year and this have looked so far, but they were always thinking way longer term than most regimes get given time to do. They still have an awful lot of ammo in the cupboard to get through before we can judge them as a final entity. Next year’s team should be a lot closer to that than this year. The most hilarious Browns thing they could do right now is blow it up.

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I don’t understand this. Yes, ideally they would like to see more progression this year than last but a scenario where they are as bad as they are right now was definitely built into their model. It’s complicated by how good some of the QB’s from last year and this have looked so far, but they were always thinking way longer term than most regimes get given time to do. They still have an awful lot of ammo in the cupboard to get through before we can judge them as a final entity. Next year’s team should be a lot closer to that than this year. The most hilarious Browns thing they could do right now is blow it up.

At least one sign of progression for the Browns has been their front 7,  they are pretty damn good.

Crossing sports lines here, but this Browns team reminds me of the Houston Astros about four years ago - just banking on picks to pan out and relying on analytics to locate value pickups, and rolling out a hyper aggressive unit in about three years. Bo Porter was fired for AJ Hinch, who has benefitted from the tank job. Hue Jackson will probably be fired as well, so whoever gets the gig will have a lot of fun toys to play with.

In baseball, you can be patient and let a process work out. Notsomuch with football. Should be interesting to see how management deals with this.

Just need another off season. 

#1 CB and another receiver who can do it all. Somehow improvement at QB.

RB, LT can be worked around but the other positions are a necessity when pretty much every other team has talent at those positions, sometimes multiple 1sts invested.

3 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

if kizer wasnt ready, he shouldnt have started. once he did you live with the results, dont bench him then go back to him.

I think the Brown's FO made the decision to go with Kizer in order to tank the season. Hue probably went along with their decision. They perfectly knew it might produce a winless season, but they wanted a shot at a franchise QB with their #1 overall pick. That is why a lot of sports have draft lotteries to avoid putting fans through this process. It is completely against league rules to tank a season, so the FO and Jackson will always say they have high hopes for Kizer even if they know he is complete garbage, in that way, the league can not go after them for tanking and possibly taking their #1 pick as a penalty.

There can be no other reason, a 2nd round rookie QB would be a starter, when it is obvious to everyone, that Kizer will never be a franchise QB.

The only problem with their plan, is that the owner is already talking about replacing the FO with Peyton Manning and of course Jackson would be fired as well. Jackson probably has a guarantee from the current FO, that he will not be fired for carrying out their orders to start Kizer, Of course, that goers out the window if a new GM is hired!!!

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Crossing sports lines here, but this Browns team reminds me of the Houston Astros about four years ago - just banking on picks to pan out and relying on analytics to locate value pickups, and rolling out a hyper aggressive unit in about three years. Bo Porter was fired for AJ Hinch, who has benefitted from the tank job. Hue Jackson will probably be fired as well, so whoever gets the gig will have a lot of fun toys to play with.

In baseball, you can be patient and let a process work out. Notsomuch with football. Should be interesting to see how management deals with this.

The trouble with that thinking is that a pro football team must have a franchise QB or it has no hope of competing and they do not grow on trees. In baseball, a solid team needs all sorts of players to compete, but in football, it all starts with the QB and until you find your franchise QB all the rebuilding in the world will not mean squat.

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The trouble with that thinking is that a pro football team must have a franchise QB or it has no hope of competing and they do not grow on trees. In baseball, a solid team needs all sorts of players to compete, but in football, it all starts with the QB and until you find your franchise QB all the rebuilding in the world will not mean squat.

It's not just QB either. It's the system and scheme you work on both sides of the ball. For that alone you can't assign a number value to players. 

How many Patriots players were pretty poor on other teams but then had their production vastly increase because the skills they did have matched up with the schemes they ran? 

"it's not about collecting talent, it's about building a team"

-the only coach who won five Super Bowls

15 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It's not just QB either. It's the system and scheme you work on both sides of the ball. For that alone you can't assign a number value to players. 

How many Patriots players were pretty poor on other teams but then had their production vastly increase because the skills they did have matched up with the schemes they ran? 

"it's not about collecting talent, it's about building a team"

-the only coach who won five Super Bowls

To say analytics don't work without having any clue what analytics they're using or how they're using them is pretty silly.

Folks said the same thing about baseball years ago, basketball to some degree as well, but every team in the league wouldn't be using them to one degree or another if they were useless.

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To say analytics don't work without having any clue what analytics they're using or how they're using them is pretty silly.

Folks said the same thing about baseball years ago, basketball to some degree as well, but every team in the league wouldn't be using them to one degree or another if they were useless.

I dunno about you, but if I had to choose between BB and the Browns front office as to whom I would listen to while building a team, I think I know who I'd pick.

15 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I dunno about you, but if I had to choose between BB and the Browns front office as to whom I would listen to while building a team, I think I know who I'd pick.

Are you saying he doesn't use analytics?

Collecting talent may not be all of it, but it's a lot of it.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Are you saying he doesn't use analytics?

Collecting talent may not be all of it, but it's a lot of it.

I'm saying he's probably watching tape and preparing gameplans vs opponents as opposed to sitting around with a calculator and protractor trying to figure out some numbers on a spreadsheet.

Sure, the Browns are loaded in the early rounds of the draft and probably will continue to do so in the next few seasons. But how much of that is going to actually convert into wins?

Like trading out of the first and picking up a future first and a couple of high 2nds is probably a win in the analytical column.

But BB will flip that first for Cook who will then catch the touchdown pass from Tom Brady to win them a game during the week.

End of the day, who would you rather be - an on field winner, or an on paper winner?

Archived