Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I hate it too because it just leads me to confirmation bias lol 

Not me. I am a huge Sermon fan. I will say that I took a late round flier on Mitchell and that has been keeping my fantasy team afloat, so I've got that going for me. Mitchell does seem to be banged up already quite a bit in his brief career thus far, so he's bound to get some chances based off of that in theory. 

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Watt's disruption of our run game was seriously rough.

It would have helped if Trey Lance didn't have more rushes than everyone else on our team combined. Some of Lance's carries were scrambles obviously, but 10 carries between two RBs, and 2 more from a WR and a FB wasn't giving us much of an opportunity to get going. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

And that's where I expect the biggest difference to be. I think we will run effectively against the Cards 

Tbh, we ran the ball just fine against the Cards even with Watt playing the way he did. The running game the last three games has been really solid for sure. Finally getting back to the bread and butter. 

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Not me. I am a huge Sermon fan. I will say that I took a late round flier on Mitchell and that has been keeping my fantasy team afloat, so I've got that going for me. Mitchell does seem to be banged up already quite a bit in his brief career thus far, so he's bound to get some chances based off of that in theory. 

I wasn't a huge Sermon fan, but didn't hate him... which is funny being an OSU fan. But I've pretty much worn my RB philosophy on my sleeve with this regime. Loved the Mitchell pick...trading up for a running back in the third round I didn't love is a hard pass for me though. Would have much more rather just taken a running back at our pick in the 4th and taken someone else with the other pick. I was okay with missing out on Sermon .

It's kind of funny how the running back situation plays out here. Guys we have gone paid out for / gone after: 

Joe Williams (trade up) - never took a snap

McKinnon - made him a top 5 paid running back lol. 

Tevin Coleman - His first year here he was the least effective back we had, and I'm not even sure why we brought him back the second year. 

Trade up for Sermon - basically 4th string, I guess? 

Guys who have succeeded here: 

Mostert - brought on by Chip as special teams guy

Breida - UDFA

Wilson - UDFA

Mitchell - 6th round pick

Hasty hasn't been great or anything, but as a UDFA he's doing fine and I could see him kicking around for a few years. 

The one guy that has really worked out that we went hard after was Juice lol 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tbh, we ran the ball just fine against the Cards even with Watt playing the way he did. The running game the last three games has been really solid for sure. Finally getting back to the bread and butter. 

It was a weird choice to put so much of that emphasis on Lance as opposed to Mitchell / Sermon in that game. Some of those were impacted by the defense, but without Lance in this one, I expect that we will run much more often and effectively against the Cards with the guys who should actually be running the football consistently lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It was a weird choice to put so much of that emphasis on Lance as opposed to Mitchell / Sermon in that game. Some of those were impacted by the defense, but without Lance in this one, I expect that we will run much more often and effectively against the Cards with the guys who should actually be running the football consistently lol 

Yeah, a lot of Lance obviously be 28 rushes for 152 yards and a TD...Even without Lance, we averaged 5.3 YPC. The only issue was not giving the backs more carries.

The running issues seem to have been fixed. Kittle coming back should only help.

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

lol you aren't wrong. I put that qualifier in my post. I don't doubt that Shanny is getting pretty close to being over this Jimmy G thing. 

I have been saying it for a while now, but I get so frustrated watching the all 22 that I can only imagine how Kyle feels. 

Last year Garoppolo kept throwing the ball to McKinnon on 3rd down short of the sticks. Wouldnt even look at anyone else. Was infuriating. That cant be the way Kyle drew it up lol 

1 hour ago, JIllg said:
1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't think so. I think the only super tough one will be the Rams. That's probably going to go badly. Without Watt, I feel like the Cardinals are more of a neutral matchup.

Watt's disruption of our run game was seriously rough.

Yeah, he owned McGlinchy and brunskill. Dwelley being TE1 did not help at all. I am very glad he is not playing this week. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Hasty hasn't been great or anything, but as a UDFA he's doing fine and I could see him kicking around for a few years. 

That training camp, we had Salvon Ahmed, right? We kept Hasty, and so far, Ahmed has been the better player. Too bad.

I agree that we should not pursue RBs with big money contracts or high draft picks. That's simply not a team. Take offensive linemen with those picks. Take DBs. If we take enough shots at positions we don't particularly draft well, we'll eventually hit on a few. But even if we draft a good RB with a 3rd round pick, he still doesn't provide a lot more value than the undrafted guys or the sixth rounders. The gap in runningback talent in our scheme just isn't big enough to justify a high pick. 

• Like 5

If I have time, I may expand on this later, but I’ve always felt RB was one of these positions that have consistently infuriated the coaching staff. Yes, we’ve gotten late round guys to produce, but I don’t think it’s ever been to their liking. It seems like it’s almost an itch they can’t get rid of…and it’s lead to some awful personnel calls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rudyZ said:

That training camp, we had Salvon Ahmed, right? We kept Hasty, and so far, Ahmed has been the better player. Too bad.

I agree that we should not pursue RBs with big money contracts or high draft picks. That's simply not a team. Take offensive linemen with those picks. Take DBs. If we take enough shots at positions we don't particularly draft well, we'll eventually hit on a few. But even if we draft a good RB with a 3rd round pick, he still doesn't provide a lot more value than the undrafted guys or the sixth rounders. The gap in runningback talent in our scheme just isn't big enough to justify a high pick. 

Thanks for reminding me about Ahmed…lol