Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

37 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Does Baker actually provide leadership to the team? I see that cited everywhere as a point for his value but I wonder if the locker room actually feels that way or if it’s just that he says things that fans like and they run with it as a leadership thing.

It’s impossible for anyone outside of the team to know or speculate on one way or the other, much less doubt IMO.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Who’s arguing on behalf of Baker? I’m known as the Baker hater in our forum and if you don’t believe me check it out yourself. That said, you’d better have an obvious upgrade in place. Russ has played HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL since the halfway point of the 2020 season. If I’m guaranteed another 6+ years of the guy who he was before the past season, then sign me up.

Russell Wilson was playing just fine before his finger injury. He has played two poor games coming off the injury and all of a sudden he is playing HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL? Please, give me a break. 

But alrighty then, guess Wilson is now washed up! 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Russell Wilson was playing just fine before his finger injury. He has played two poor games coming off the injury and all of a sudden he is playing HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL? Please, give me a break. 

You’re telling me he hasn’t noticeably declined since last year after his drop off around the halfway mark?

I’m not at all saying he’s washed, but merry saying that you’d better be confident going forward that it’s scheme and OL/injury based, because he’s not the athlete he was 3-5 years ago and he still thinks he is when he goes off script.

I would be great if they brought him in if you know you’re getting him at 100%, but he’s also shown some weaknesses, especially in the red zone over the past few years.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You’re telling me he hasn’t noticeably declined since last year after his drop off around the halfway mark?

I’m not at all saying he’s washed, but merry saying that you’d better be confident going forward that it’s scheme and OL/injury based, because he’s not the athlete he was 3-5 years ago and he still thinks he is when he goes off script.

I would be great if they brought him in if you know you’re getting him at 100%, but he’s also shown some weaknesses, especially in the red zone over the past few years.

Wilson to start this season was not playing anywhere close to horrendous ball. That was just a stupid statement by you. 

Is he the same athlete he once was? No, but he's still one of the best QBs in the league. I don't care what has happened the last two weeks with him coming off a broken finger on his throwing hand. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilson to start this season was not playing anywhere close to horrendous ball. That was just a stupid statement by you. 

Is he the same athlete he once was? No, but he's still one of the best QBs in the league. I don't care what has happened the last two weeks with him coming off a broken finger on his throwing hand. 

Further this point, first five games of the season before he broke his finger:

72% completion

9.6 YPA

10 TDs 1 INT

125.28 QB rating

This wasn't a case of a QB getting a bunch of YAC yards and getting a lot of help from his receivers to make his stats look better. In no way, shape or form was he playing HORRENDOUS football to start the season. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilson has a track record of MVP football tbh

Baker been averaged since he was drafted, too inconsistent.

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Further this point, first five games of the season before he broke his finger:

72% completion

9.6 YPA

10 TDs 1 INT

125.28 QB rating

This wasn't a case of a QB getting a bunch of YAC yards and getting a lot of help from his receivers to make his stats look better. In no way, shape or form was he playing HORRENDOUS football to start the season. 

I said IS present tense playing HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL. Not past. I said there’s been a noticeable decline, and there has been.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I said IS present tense playing HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL. Not past. I said there’s been a noticeable decline, and there has been.

You said "Russ has played HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL since the halfway point of the 2020 season" That includes the first five games of the 2021 season where he had a completion percentage of 72, YPA of 9.6 and a QB rating of 125.28. 

Again, silly statement. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fall back J. Eat a Snickers 

And for gawd sakes, who cares about Rusty Wicket playing like doo doo. That's a good thing. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You said "Russ has played HORRENDOUS FOOTBALL since the halfway point of the 2020 season" That includes the first five games of the 2021 season where he had a completion percentage of 72, YPA of 9.6 and a QB rating of 125.28. 

Again, silly statement. 

Baker Mayfield has outplayed Wilson this season. I'm just saying. 

4 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Does Baker actually provide leadership to the team? I see that cited everywhere as a point for his value but I wonder if the locker room actually feels that way or if it’s just that he says things that fans like and they run with it as a leadership thing.

Generally speaking sure. But of course you've also got to play well. What's getting messy at the moment is that many in/around the team thought he was supposed to be better without OBJ but he's now had two of his worst games back to back and the receiving group is struggling with injuries and mediocrity.

• Like 1