Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

For a fifth year option at a fraction of the price as opposed to an oft injured Jimmy G, trading multiple firsts for Derek Carr (LOL), and pointing out that Russ has played miserably over the past year I absolutely stand by. I’ve also said I’d be fine trading for Russ, but that he’s not exactly the guy he was a few years ago either. It’s not all on him and could absolutely be partly scheme and OL, but he shoulders plenty of blame too.

His cap hit will be $19M. That's not a huge number but it's not "fraction of the price" either. It's only $1M cheaper than Carr.

$19M is too much for Baker. Real talk, he's not worth even that.

Trade him off for picks, someone will pay up, draft Pickett or Ridder if you want someone in the northish area

Use the extra money/assets to give that guy a "Mac Jones esque" team situation

That's better than continuing with Baker imo

12 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

His cap hit will be $19M. That's not a huge number but it's not "fraction of the price" either. It's only $1M cheaper than Carr.

$19M is too much for Baker. Real talk, he's not worth even that.

Trade him off for picks, someone will pay up, draft Pickett or Ridder if you want someone in the northish area

Use the extra money/assets to give that guy a "Mac Jones esque" team situation

That's better than continuing with Baker imo

Real talk, some of those guys cost draft picks/capital as well, and then you’re also signing them to long term deals because of what you’ve given up. The cost is infinitely more than a cap number.

If you can get Russ you do it. Carr has tiny hands and can’t play by Lake Erie, period.

4 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Generally speaking sure. But of course you've also got to play well. What's getting messy at the moment is that many in/around the team thought he was supposed to be better without OBJ but he's now had two of his worst games back to back and the receiving group is struggling with injuries and mediocrity.

Yeah I agree it’s gotten messy especially with some of the player supporting Beckham. I really didn’t think the Browns would have locker room division issues but when there’s smoke there’s fire.

I didn’t ask as an ulterior motive to dig at Baker I just wonder because it’s said all the time about player leadership in a video gamey way as if everyone around certain players gains like a +1 to certain attributes or something. 

Baker is meh. The framework around him is good enough to carry him, OR do you want a QB that can elevate the level up another notch? Would that cost too much?

I think it comes down to that. You can and are a 9-11 win team with Meh at the QB. Do you want to be one of the most dangerous team in the league? Get a better QB if you can keep most of what’s around baker as well

19 minutes ago, BugzBunny101 said:

Nah browns need to be aggressive and go after Rodgers, Wilson, Watson - you could get the same results with trubisky because browns are so stacked. No point in paying an average top 15ish qb - hello vikings ;(

This is what I’m saying too yeah

I understand purely from a football level why Watson is appealing, but if the Browns get him, I’m going to take a break from them. The guy is very likely a predator and I hope he’s done in the league. Should it be found out that somehow this is an elaborate conspiracy from 25 different women, then I hope they’re all held accountable…but I find that very difficult to believe.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I understand purely from a football level why Watson is appealing, but if the Browns get him, I’m going to take a break from them. The guy is very likely a predator and I hope he’s done in the league. Should it be found out that somehow this is an elaborate conspiracy from 25 different women, then I hope they’re all held accountable…but I find that very difficult to believe.

People who have been charged and done time for criminal offenses have played in the NFL so someone who is being sued civilly has zero chance of being out of the league 

53 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

People who have been charged and done time for criminal offenses have played in the NFL so someone who is being sued civilly has zero chance of being out of the league 

others be rewarded for bad behavior does not mean we should continue to reward bad behavior

It's complicated trying to balance personal and ethical with the business of football

But it's very reasonable to say "I don't want this guy" because of what he's done off the field. I wouldn't have wanted Ray Rice or Joe Mixon, tbh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tk3 said:

others be rewarded for bad behavior does not mean we should continue to reward bad behavior

It's complicated trying to balance personal and ethical with the business of football

But it's very reasonable to say "I don't want this guy" because of what he's done off the field. I wouldn't have wanted Ray Rice or Joe Mixon, tbh

Who is we? No one in this thread is hiring or trading for Deshaun Watson. 

People have a right to gainful employment. I disagree with this notion that people who are accused or even convicted of crimes can’t work. 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Who is we? No one in this thread is hiring or trading for Deshaun Watson. 

People have a right to gainful employment. I disagree with this notion that people who are accused or even convicted of crimes can’t work. 

Broadly I agree = but also it depends

We're not talking about somebody who went through any sort of consequences or rehabilition, returning to life and needing to make a living, and not getting a chance because of a criminal record

Millionaires in a public space IS different. People with certain crimes ARE different from others

Some dude gets a marajuana charge and has trouble getting regular employment to pay the bills is FAR different than a multi millionaire who commited sexual harassment/assault against dozens being unable to continue to make millions and be a public figure

• Like 1

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It’s gonna be interesting to see how he does down the stretch. Everybody else around him is healthy (maybe not DPJ).

He’s got his starting offensive line + TEs + RBs + WRs all playing this week before the bye week. The defensive starters are all healthy too.

He’s got a good matchup against our god awful pass defence 

edit: also, Derek Carr would not survive in Cleveland lmao 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy