Staff Overhaul for 2022 - Discuss, debate, deliberate..... uh, d-speculate...

Sugashane

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure Pace gets fired. Fields could buy him time if he convinces ownership that coaching was the issue.

I am not sure how Pace effects the HC search. Will coaches be less willing to work with a guy on his 3rd HC?

People seldom turn down HC jobs.  But if they have a choice between two it could matter.

I think ownership would love to keep Pace because they love him personally, not sure how he could sell anyone on him being divorced from coaching problems as he was intimately involved in all major and hand picked the staff.

For example immediately after draft of Daniels he said he was going to G and not C.  Immediately after drafting Fields he said he was sitting.   So obviously Pace has say in who plays and who doesn't and where.   I am sure there are other examples involving FAs and draft picks if I care to think about it and many more not made public.   

Point is he isn't just picking guys and turning them over to coaches to do as they will.  He has a say, probably final say if he wants it, in who plays and who doesn't.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me that much if they keep Pace, but I'm really concerned that Nagy-who I like but don't think should be coaching-might find some way to cling on for another year. Like the Bears back into winning the division if Rodgets is out for a while and the Vikings go on a ****ty tear.  Gah.  Then next year the Lions stomp everyone.

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

It wouldn't surprise me that much if they keep Pace, but I'm really concerned that Nagy-who I like but don't think should be coaching-might find some way to cling on for another year. Like the Bears back into winning the division if Rodgets is out for a while and the Vikings go on a ****ty tear.  Gah.  Then next year the Lions stomp everyone.

Thankfully unless we can win the division with 6 our 7 wins that won't happen. Lol

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Thankfully unless we can win the division with 6 our 7 wins that won't happen. Lol

I'm paranoid man.  Ever since they stuck around last year I'm convinced those two are unfushable turds, and it'll be like 2045 and we'll still be saying Nagy needs to go after his offense sets a record for being bottom 4 for 25 straight years and Mitch Trubisky is a head coach after winning 5 superbowls as a QB in Buffalo. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

🤣

25 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'm paranoid man.  Ever since they stuck around last year I'm convinced those two are unfushable turds, and it'll be like 2045 and we'll still be saying Nagy needs to go after his offense sets a record for being bottom 4 for 25 straight years and Mitch Trubisky is a head coach after winning 5 superbowls as a QB in Buffalo. 

Can you imagine Allen gets hurt and MT takes Buffalo to SB ala Foles or Hostetler?  Not like its never happened.  

That would be such a slap in the face to Bears.   What a story that would be.

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Can you imagine Allen gets hurt and MT takes Buffalo to SB ala Foles or Hostetler?  Not like its never happened.  

That would be such a slap in the face to Bears.   What a story that would be.

The Bears seem to mostly exist as a series of teachable moments about what not to do at QB, so yeah, I could see this and do worry about it. 

And TW,  the Lions are putting together a really nice roster outside QB, plus will be drafting high again... If they get it rightat QB I could see them being good. 

5 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Let's reference what happen to Joe Philbin after the Packers went 15-1 with an elite offense and he was terrible on the Dolphins. 

This (plus the Nagy experience) is what has me guarded about someone like Daboll. Don’t get me wrong - I would be through the roof about Daboll as our next HC, but we don’t know how he’ll deal with handling the whole team vs. just handling the offense. My preference would be that the person in charge of Fields’ development only have to focus on the development of Fields and the offense around him, but ideally someone who won’t be poached in a year if Fields makes a huge jump in 2022 AND to be someone with a recent history of success as an NFL offensive mind. That’s a big part of what brought me to BOB.

If we go the route of a non-offensive HC (and I like Vance Joseph as well @abstract_thought), who else fits that bill? Doug Peterson is probably getting a HC gig again soon (and maybe in 2022). Pat Shurmur or Jason Garrett (if Fangio or Judge get fired)? Their current QB development jobs aren’t going well. Jay Gruden as OC would make some sense but he is probably untouchable at least for now because of the Jon Gruden stuff and maybe his own issues within the ongoing WFT investigation.

There’s no perfect plan. Our options are:

-Hire an offensive HC who was either recently let go (Pederson)

-Hire an offensive HC who was previously an OC with success developing a young QB into a star and hope they can bring that success here while also navigating the ascension to overseeing the whole team vs. just the offense (Daboll, Olson, Bienemey, Leftwich, maybe Joe Brady?)

-Hire an offensive HC plucked straight from college and hope they can navigate that stated above PLUS the transition to the NFL (Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley)

-Hire a defensive HC and an ascending OC who might get plucked for a HC gig in a year elsewhere (several future OCs, Day and Riley if they left their cushy college HC gigs to be an NFL OC which I don’t see happening anyway)

-Hire an experienced OC/HC as OC with a history of recent NFL success running an offense and/or developing a QB who has enough warts that they won’t be plucked for a HC gig any time soon (BOB, Shurmur, Garrett, Jay Gruden)

-Keep Nagy

Just pick one that’s going to work for once. Puhleeeeease. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

This is the exact opposite of the Mega Happy Ending for me.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

-Keep Nagy

Just pick one that’s going to work for once. Puhleeeeease. 

As difficult as our choices may be keeping Nagy shouldn't be one of them.

IMHO you don't give a HC sold to us as an offensive guru one more chance after having spent his previous four seasons building one of the least productive offenses in the NFL.  Even without a star QB almost any HC in the NFL could have done better than that.

He's not the guy to coach Fields either.  Nagy will resist building an offense around him in favor of doing a rinse and repeat of what he did with Mitch looking to find ways to fit Fields into his schemes which we know by now don't work.  I've seen enough.  Nagy has to go.

• Like 1

This will make some of you guys very happy.  Of course right now it's all just rumors.....wink, wink.

Report: Bears already looking at coaching replacements to succeed Matt Nagy

67fc6d2513d37320021c1e7d0fc6f9fb

Remember, remember, it’s only the fifth of November. But according to one NFL insider, the Chicago Bears are already lining up potential candidates to succeed Matt Nagy. At the top of the list? Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

NFL insider Benjamin Allbright joined Jon Zaghoul on Sports Talk Chicago this week and says the Bears are getting a list together of potential head coaching candidates they would like to interview, even though Nagy still has a job.

Allbright says Nagy is “100 percent” fired at the end of the season though.

“From my conversations with people, the [Bears] have already started doing backgrounds on potential replacements,” Allbright told Zaghoul. “I’ll say Brian Daboll would be the leader in the clubhouse.”

NEWS: @AllbrightNFL reveals that #DaBears have begun to gather information on HC replacements for #MattNagy. Plus, Benjamin gives an in-depth evaluation of #JustinFields! : @vpodtvcentral 59.3 and Roku at 10:30pm CT : AM 1530 @WCKGChicago : https://youtu.be/Ntrm6zxdLUI

PTWtfs8gS2gcJd-2.jpg

The report that the Bears are already getting names together for if/when Nagy is fired isn’t all that surprising, but is welcoming news. Regardless if a change is made or not, the team should have a short list put together for potential interviews when that time eventually comes.

It’s also notable that Allbright mentioned Daboll as the top name in mind. Two weeks ago, he tweeted a similar claim that the longtime coach would likely be the Bears’ top choice if a change were to be made.

Replying to @adanrosal26 @AllbrightNFL and 3 others
It makes zero sense that OCs like Kellen Moore or Brian Daboll aren’t on this list. It does make sense that they haven’t considered parting ways with Fangio. We’re six weeks into the season! I’ve discovered that the building of the team is my favorite part, so forgive me.

Daboll has coaches various positions with multiple NFL and college teams over the last 20 years, including stints with the New England Patriots, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, Alabama Crimson Tide, and now with the Bills. He’s currently coordinating the top scoring offense in the NFL with MVP-candidate Josh Allen and has been with the team since the 2018 season.

His offenses with Buffalo have ascended in each consecutive year, as well Allen’s development from a project quarterback into a superstar. Last season, the Bills finished with a top-five offense in nearly every statistical category as they captured the NFC East division for the first time since 1995 with a 13-3 record.

Daboll is an excellent offensive coordinator, but would he be an effective NFL head coach? Allbright seems to think so.

“I’ve spoken with coach Daboll a few times, he’s a nice guy…I believe in him,” he said. “I think he’s probably the best hire in this coming offseason.”

Allbright also mentioned the Bears could give an interview to Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator and former Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph, but maintains his belief that Daboll would be their top choice.

There’s still half a season to go and nothing is truly certain in the NFL, but perhaps the Bears make a quick work of their head coaching decision this winter.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

Consider that if Pace is part of this process, and I can't believe he wouldn't be, that would mean his job is secure at least for now.

He may still be riding the Fields train whereas Nagy is not.

If we can only drop one then I want Nagy gone. He's by far the weaker link.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If we can only drop one then I want Nagy gone. He's by far the weaker link.

I think by now that's a given.  Nothing that I've seen so far tells me there is any way Nagy can pull out of this spiral.

The Bears are 6.5 point underdogs against Pitt and I wonder if it will even be that close.  Another loss to a beatable team sends them into the bye week at 3-6.  Even if they managed to win 5 of their next 8 they still finish 8-9 or roughly where they have the past two seasons.  That's not progress.  Fields alone makes the offense more dangerous and unpredictable but it's still the same old offense that failed to take hold for 4 years.

I can't see GMcC wanting to hire both a new HC AND a new GM simultaneously for the second time in a decade.  Ryan Pace isn't the complete assclown Phil Emery was.  The Mack trade was huge but he needed another "hit record" to keep his job and he lucked into one with Fields and Khalil Herbert isn't hurting him either.  If Borom shows some talent over the remainder of the season that's more than enough for now.

What really needs to happen is for a new HC and staff to come in and get production out of guys like Mooney and Kmet and get the OL squared away.  We need to keep drafting for defense as well so having a coaching staff who can get production from those skill guys we have and a few new additions will be pivotal especially at TE and WR.  ARob will need to be replaced as well.

It's been frustrating to see guys like Goodwin, Byrd, and James brought in then watch them be under used.

• Like 1