Staff Overhaul for 2022 - Discuss, debate, deliberate..... uh, d-speculate...

Sugashane

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Maybe we're looking at this all wrong. I mean, why limit ourselves? Let's bring in 9 coaches, have them each throw 10 challenge flags, and pick the guy with the strongest arm.

LOL....Call on line 3 for you.  It's Jay Cutler.  🤣

A head coach reality competition show for HC of Bears.

With us as judges.

My event is you have to take 5 OL and a back and 5 OL and a TE and get 6 O hats on 6 d hats, letting no one unblocked or untouched no matter what funky stuff D does.

Seems like I haven't seen that happen in 5 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

What about if Bill Polian was interested in becoming a GM again? Guy has been out of the league for 10 years but what he did for the Bills, Panthers, and Colts was great work. Six time Executive of the Year too, so not a fluke year like Nagy and Pace/

At age 79 (in another month) and away from the game for 10 years I don't think he's our guy.  IIRC GMcC approached him after we fired JA and he wasn't interested even then.  We need the "next" Bill Polian not the "last" one.

I'm dead serious when I say that I don't believe GMcC will fire Pace after this season.  Not after having drafted Fields and also in need of hiring a new HC to bring out the best in him.  Without Pace who helps decide on a new HC?

Are we gonna be so clueless that we're willing to overlook what happened the last time GMcC and Teddy Bears hired a new GM and a new HC simultaneously?  That phuc up is what brought us Pace and Fox and now Nagy.

I'll say it again.  Nagy was not a bad choice.  He was a highly sought after OC under Andy Reid.  He may still be a good OC somewhere if he has the right QB, skill players, and a good OL but he clearly cannot elevate mediocre talent.

Nagy will get fired because he hasn't even come close to producing a modern 21st century passing offense as he was hired to do.  I believe Pace will hang on based on having done just enough to be given one more year for continuity sake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soulman said:

At age 79 (in another month) and away from the game for 10 years I don't think he's our guy.  IIRC GMcC approached him after we fired JA and he wasn't interested even then.  We need the "next" Bill Polian not the "last" one.

I'm dead serious when I say that I don't believe GMcC will fire Pace after this season.  Not after having drafted Fields and also in need of hiring a new HC to bring out the best in him.  Without Pace who helps decide on a new HC?

Are we gonna be so clueless that we're willing to overlook what happened the last time GMcC and Teddy Bears hired a new GM and a new HC simultaneously?  That phuc up is what brought us Pace and Fox and now Nagy.

I'll say it again.  Nagy was not a bad choice.  He was a highly sought after OC under Andy Reid.  He may still be a good OC somewhere if he has the right QB, skill players, and a good OL but he clearly cannot elevate mediocre talent.

Nagy will get fired because he hasn't even come close to producing a modern 21st century passing offense as he was hired to do.  I believe Pace will hang on based on having done just enough to be given one more year for continuity sake.

Age is definitely the big concern. In my mind he took either Lucas, Kelly, or someone he had close ties to and groomed them for 3-4 years. I didn't think he was THAT old though. Guy looks pretty good for knocking on 80. Even if Polian came in over Pace if she does want to keep him that would give Pace a massive resource and would make the hours/demand much less on him.  I can understand why if she doesn't fire him to a degree, who else would she think of leaving football operations in the hands of?

From what I read Fox seemed to be pushed on Pace, not his personal choice. I'd say that is a further condemnation to those above Pace than Pace himself. 

He was an OC with hopes of being Reid, while having no body of work. It was a risk/reward gamble and flopped. Honestly OCs under Reid have sucked as HCs. Pederson may end up being the only one who wasn't a crap coach, and we saw how quickly things unraveled in PHI. Reid's best coaches have come from DC and ST roles, and I expect this to continue if Bienemy gets a HC gig. I'd take a major swing if O'Connell or some other unproven OC with a high ceiling (or Mayo if a defensive guy stood out for example) but in the end it still turned out to be a terrible hire. Results dictate the grade more than rationale prior to the move IMO.

Nagy will be like Adam Gase, someone who was overestimated and then exposed because he was trash without elite talent.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

What about if Bill Polian was interested in becoming a GM again? Guy has been out of the league for 10 years but what he did for the Bills, Panthers, and Colts was great work. Six time Executive of the Year too, so not a fluke year like Nagy and Pace/

He recommended Pace and Fox.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Lol fair enough. 

Rick Smith is still who I would want. If he could be the President of Football Operations and Horitz became the GM I'd be more excited than when we got Fields. In late post because I would actually feel like Fields had a chance. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:22 AM, dll2000 said:

You're confusing Bill Polian with Ernie Accorsi, who was the actual guy who helped with the GM search when they landed Pace.

Regardless of that I don't want Polian. He's way too old and I'm pretty sure he was a critic of Lamar Jackson early on, which makes me think he doesn't like that type of QB.

Hard pass

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 6:04 PM, soulman said:

As difficult as our choices may be keeping Nagy shouldn't be one of them.

IMHO you don't give a HC sold to us as an offensive guru one more chance after having spent his previous four seasons building one of the least productive offenses in the NFL.  Even without a star QB almost any HC in the NFL could have done better than that.

He's not the guy to coach Fields either.  Nagy will resist building an offense around him in favor of doing a rinse and repeat of what he did with Mitch looking to find ways to fit Fields into his schemes which we know by now don't work.  I've seen enough.  Nagy has to go.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Just saying it’s one of the potential options. It can’t be one that’s actually considered though.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:58 PM, soulman said:

I'm dead serious when I say that I don't believe GMcC will fire Pace after this season.

I’d rather they make a clean break, but I could definitely see a situation where they promote Pace out of the GM role instead of firing him. Maybe make him president of football ops or something like that. They clearly like him, and that matters more than it should but that’s the stuff you get with a family owned team overseen by non-football people. I don’t love the idea, and I’ve defended him here more than most because he hasn’t been a complete disaster. He just hasn’t been good. But if him getting kicked upstairs lets us bring in someone else to make the roster decisions and hire the next HC then I’m all for it. 

• Like 1