Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident; Charged with DUI resulting in death; Released

RaidersAreOne

40 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

100%. Why didn't happen to anyone else on the team?

Well I mean it did. Josh Jacobs had a dui accident not long ago. But I don't think Vegas has a single thing to do with it. This is just poor decision making. And it's one that took the ultimate toll. 

Edited by BigD1123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BigD1123 said:

Well I mean it did. Josh Jacobs had a dui accident not long ago. But I don't think Vegas has a single thing to do with it. This is just poor decision making. And it's one that took the ultimate toll. 

Yeah Jacobs literally just almost killed himself drinking and driving. Goes back to the lack of accountability in our culture and locker room.

• Like 2

Just now, BackinBlack said:

Very true, I guess the hospital would have the blood work back now too yeah? Like there is no chance that blood work comes back showing he wasnt drinking?

Just dont understand how you do that with his past.

Money. Fame. The inevitable case of every person in your circle constantly telling you how great you are and building an ego and sense of absolute invincibility. 

He's a 22 year old with millions for playing a game. He probably got his behind kissed through high school to a large degree, given he was on the varsity team in 8th grade. Then he had colleges kissing his behind during the recruitment. Then at Bama, he inevitably got treated like absolute royalty. Then he's a top tier prospect getting wined and dined and told how special he is.

I've been through and around football recruiting for years. It's really absurd how much faux-positive reinforcement is slathered on these guys. The "make them better people" line is garbage. The entire culture around football, especially recruiting from colleges, is one of special privileges and entitlement. Unfortunately, that seems to be what it takes to attract people to programs more than nice locations (unlike Tuscaloosa) or the chance at a top notch education.

Some guys mature naturally. Others don't, and the endless butt kissing becomes just another toxic expectation. Ruggs, apparently, became the latter. 

I could go on and on about personal accountability, and Ruggs should be capable of making unselfish decisions, just like anyone else. And it's not like he's totally insulated from people who made good decisions or those who had their own issues. So I hope they throw the book at him. But I would be remiss if I didn't point out the absurdity of the system he's long been involved with- the fanatical fascination with football and the ridiculous lack of preparation for adulthood that many involved have a conciously unconscionable hand in. 

Ruggs will inevitably do the time. He's going to be the one paying. But dammit if I don't look at all of the "men" he's interacted with and been led by from high school, through Alabama, and into the NFL, knowing damn well how coddled he was, with a sense of shame that they are who we entrust young guys' most formative years to. 

I think it's very easy to understand how this type of s#it happens, too many folks, be it fans, parents, or especially media, just don't care to call it out for the obscenity that it is. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Jacobs literally just almost killed himself drinking and driving. Goes back to the lack of accountability in our culture and locker room.

While I agree, it's more than just our locker room. It's an endemic issue across the ridiculous sports culture in the states.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Money. Fame. The inevitable case of every person in your circle constantly telling you how great you are and building an ego and sense of absolute invincibility. 

He's a 22 year old with millions for playing a game. He probably got his behind kissed through high school to a large degree, given he was on the varsity team in 8th grade. Then he had colleges kissing his behind during the recruitment. Then at Bama, he inevitably got treated like absolute royalty. Then he's a top tier prospect getting wined and dined and told how special he is.

I've been through and around football recruiting for years. It's really absurd how much faux-positive reinforcement is slathered on these guys. The "make them better people" line is garbage. The entire culture around football, especially recruiting from colleges, is one of special privileges and entitlement. Unfortunately, that seems to be what it takes to attract people to programs more than nice locations (unlike Tuscaloosa) or the chance at a top notch education.

Some guys mature naturally. Others don't, and the endless butt kissing becomes just another toxic expectation. Ruggs, apparently, became the latter. 

I could go on and on about personal accountability, and Ruggs should be capable of making unselfish decisions, just like anyone else. And it's not like he's totally insulated from people who made good decisions or those who had their own issues. So I hope they throw the book at him. But I would be remiss if I didn't point out the absurdity of the system he's long been involved with- the fanatical fascination with football and the ridiculous lack of preparation for adulthood that many involved have a conciously unconscionable hand in. 

Ruggs will inevitably do the time. He's going to be the one paying. But dammit if I don't look at all of the "men" he's interacted with and been led by from high school, through Alabama, and into the NFL, knowing damn well how coddled he was, with a sense of shame that they are who we entrust young guys' most formative years to. 

I think it's very easy to understand how this type of s#it happens, too many folks, be it fans, parents, or especially media, just don't care to call it out for the obscenity that it is. 

PREACH

• Like 1

Moving to Vegas needed to include massive off the field counseling and in house infrastructure investment to teach our young men how to survive in that environment. If you looked at prospect Ruggs and the loss of his best friend and how it effected him you'd never have seen this coming. Influences are very real in such a party city as Vegas events were and are bound to happen. Ruggs needs to take accountability for this event, but the Raiders need to act or tragedy will be a frequent news headline for our team. I hope Mark is disgusted and takes action to invest in our team now and for the future and as a constant presence, Might be a good time to invest in house mental health staff and life coaches.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

No not at all you don't see the guys in New Orleans and Miami getting drunk on a Monday