Henry Ruggs involved in serious car accident; Charged with DUI resulting in death; Released

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Nevada has implied consent laws for suspected DUI cases. Even if he refused, a warrant for blood work would be pretty easy to get. Plus, given it was a suspected DUI, police are given authority to use reasonable force to administer a breathalyzer. 

And in his case, the refusal would be admissable at trial, which would probably guarantee a harsher sentence given the circumstances. 

He was toast no matter what he tried to do.

true but that still buys some more time.

like i said, its not legal advice. but if you think you are a borderline case... could be an option. i think it sucks that they can have this process play out before you can contact an attorney

btw, this is not me feeling sorry for Ruggs. he made an awful mistake that ended another life. this is just the saul goodman in me

Obviously, I’m hurt for the victim and her friends and family. But I Can’t help but feel for Ruggs, one mistake and his life is ruined. I get some that hate his guts right now, but man I was young once and made a ton of mistakes that could’ve cost myself and others. He’s only 22, still a kid. Having money doesn’t   Change that. I was fortunate enough to make it through some mistakes and learn from them and grow as a person without being vilified. He has a family and small child too, just a terrible situation and I’m sure he’d change it all if he could. Just feel for everyone involved. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Obviously, I’m hurt for the victim and her friends and family. But I Can’t help but feel for Ruggs, one mistake and his life is ruined. I get some that hate his guts right now, but man I was young once and made a ton of mistakes that could’ve cost myself and others. He’s only 22, still a kid. Having money doesn’t   Change that. I was fortunate enough to make it through some mistakes and learn from them and grow as a person without being vilified. He has a family and small child too, just a terrible situation and I’m sure he’d change it all if he could. Just feel for everyone involved. 

Yeah, a lot of people will act as if theyve never drank and then drove either. obviously if he was doing 100 or more thats different all together. No defense for it at the end of the day.. but young kids make mistakes. Just wish his didnt cost so many so much. Sad.. especially with his good friend dying that way.

34 minutes ago, Derptacular said:

true but that still buys some more time.

like i said, its not legal advice. but if you think you are a borderline case... could be an option. i think it sucks that they can have this process play out before you can contact an attorney

btw, this is not me feeling sorry for Ruggs. he made an awful mistake that ended another life. this is just the saul goodman in me

That's the thing.... it's really not. Not in Nevada, at least. Even if he flat out said no, they could practically taze the guy and stick the breathalyzer on him. It would've bought a couple of minutes at best while haggling, all of which would become evidence. 

If he becomes combative, that would give reasonable suspicion for drugs in his system, at which point they can arrest you and a blood draw is mandatory and wouldn't require a warrant. 

Also, they can't. They have to arrest you first, at which point you're Mirandized. Harsh reality is, in most DUI cases, attorneys are hamstrung anyway. Cochran and Kardashian couldn't get you out of a blood draw in that scenario. 

Anything that involves a substance and someone else dying, you're looking at how to mitigate the fallout, at best. An attorney could literally show up on site, they can't themselves obstruct a breathalyzer or blood draw. I've gotten a few folks out of would-be DUI's, but that requires a lot of creativity and not still being at the scene. And even that's towing one heck of an ethical line I only crossed because of an obligation to get my client out of a dangerous situation. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

his life isn't over. It's a sad and irresponsible event that happened. He will have the best lawyers money can buy, and this is his first time breaking the law. He will prolly serve some time in prison. Maybe miss the rest of this year, and possibly next year. He is very young, so he will get a second chance. Might be on another team. Just sad overall for the victim (which is the person dead, and their family)

Edited by Humble_Beast

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's the thing.... it's really not. Not in Nevada, at least. Even if he flat out said no, they could practically taze the guy and stick the breathalyzer on him. It would've bought a couple of minutes at best while haggling, all of which would become evidence. 

If he becomes combative, that would give reasonable suspicion for drugs in his system, at which point they can arrest you and a blood draw is mandatory and wouldn't require a warrant. 

Also, they can't. They have to arrest you first, at which point you're Mirandized. Harsh reality is, in most DUI cases, attorneys are hamstrung anyway. Cochran and Kardashian couldn't get you out of a blood draw in that scenario. 

Anything that involves a substance and someone else dying, you're looking at how to mitigate the fallout, at best. An attorney could literally show up on site, they can't themselves obstruct a breathalyzer or blood draw. I've gotten a few folks out of would-be DUI's, but that requires a lot of creativity and not still being at the scene. And even that's towing one heck of an ethical line I only crossed because of an obligation to get my client out of a dangerous situation. 

thanks for the primer on nevada stuff.

but being mirandized doesnt really have to do with a blood draw. that just applies to their ability to question you. miranda rights kick in when there is detainment + interrogation

16 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Yeah, a lot of people will act as if theyve never drank and then drove either. obviously if he was doing 100 or more thats different all together. No defense for it at the end of the day.. but young kids make mistakes. Just wish his didnt cost so many so much. Sad.. especially with his good friend dying that way.

Yeah I was telling my girlfriend this earlier. I can’t judge the man, I’ve definitely drove drunk + texted at 22 years old. We make a lot of dumb decisions at that age. It’s not like he was a repeat defender, just made a horrible mistake one night and it cost him big time. 

If Ruggs was in his Late 20’s I wouldn’t feel sorry for him at all, as he should know better. But at 22, we’ve all done dumb stuff like this. 

Would I ever do 100 in the city, drunk or not, even at 22? Hell no. Freeway, I’ve definitely done 110 at that age, but in the city no amount of alcohol could make me do 100. That’s just bringing danger to another level. 

With that said, I still can’t judge him. We all do really, really dumb stuff in our early 20’s. Some of us get lucky and some don’t. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Really wonder how fast the league will come down. The blood sample in NV in and of itself can take 1-2 months to come back. This criminal trial will take along time to complete. 

Naw I think the league and raiders know some details already. He done done. 

• Like 1