Browns release WR OBJ, Signs with Rams

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, BillSabre said:

C’mon man. You really making an argument that he didn’t know nobody was doing that stuff? You don’t throw your QB under the bus. You don’t let people do those things if you’re a GOOD teammate. IF he wasn’t aware of those things he would’ve publicly made a statement and denounced the comments. He was trying to force a trade without actually just requesting it himself.  That alone should tell you all about his character or lack thereof. 

Out of every response I got, this one makes the most sense of something he actually did. So I'll let it go.

I do think there is a narrative about him that has followed him his entire time in Cleveland stemming from his time in NYG. He's been a model citizen last two seasons outside of his dad showing Baker sucking and LeBron sending a tweet. I'd still welcome him on my team and I think the Browns just handled this poorly.

12 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Out of every response I got, this one makes the most sense of something he actually did. So I'll let it go.

I do think there is a narrative about him that has followed him his entire time in Cleveland stemming from his time in NYG. He's been a model citizen last two seasons outside of his dad showing Baker sucking and LeBron sending a tweet. I'd still welcome him on my team and I think the Browns just handled this poorly.

Plenty of blame to go around. No showing to OTAs in 2019 and this year is certainly not mandatory, but it's also not ideal in "building chemistry" with your QB and teammates. Aside from the 2019 blowup on the sideline, OBJ hasn't been an issue here until this past week.

That said, his last 3-4 years in NY were also eerily similar to the past week or so:

Granted, Stefanski and the Browns FO should clearly have handled things differently and quietly shipped him out and kept the whole matter in house.

However, OBJ should have been told that this is not going to be a high volume offense and is going to be run first with a lot of playaction/boots, and a lot of throws to TE and slot receivers, while taking some deep shots down the field. That RPO/slant game that many other teams utilize or one that was a high volume targeted attack in NY is not what they run in Cleveland, and if that's not for him, the new regime that didn't acquire him 3 years ago should have just dealt him. No harm/no foul at that point.

He MAY still be able to help some sort of team that utilizes some of these concepts, but he also isn't the same dynamic athlete that he was 5 years ago.

8 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

sheesh.

It was an honest admission that he was about to throw out publicly and thought better of. It wasn't trashing anyone.

In today's screenshot day and age, this is flawed logic or completely disingenuous. He clearly wanted it out there for people to see, coupled in the same timeline as his dad nuking things.

If you want to stick to reasons why OBJ is the victim here based upon him being open/whatever and it being Baker's fault, so be it, but using this to justify that is totally hilarious.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why is Baker having more success when throwing to everyone else though that isn't on OBJ's talent level? 

Also, maybe OBJ in New York isn't the same as he was in Cleveland? Regardless all this manufactured drama from Odell with his dad, not talking with coach or Baker, etc. just isn't painting a quality picture with his character. OBJ will be on another team soon and if he doesn't pop off like dynamite it will certainly be interesting to say the least. 

You tell me? It doesn’t make sense. That’s an indictment against him btw. 

As for Odell not being the same in NY. You would have a point if he wasn’t getting open. Eli at his worst was still far more efficient than Baker has been with Odell. Should Odell’s dad have said anything? Probably not and it doesn’t help matters at all. That being said, this isn’t an issue of 1 year. We are talking 3 seasons here. Surprised it took this long tbh. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You tell me? It doesn’t make sense. That’s an indictment against him btw. 

As for Odell not being the same in NY. You would have a point if he wasn’t getting open. Eli at his worst was still far more efficient than Baker has been with Odell. Should Odell’s dad have said anything? Probably not and it doesn’t help matters at all. That being said, this isn’t an issue of 1 year. We are talking 3 seasons here. Surprised it took this long tbh. 

Why is it just an indictment against him instead of at worst being a two-way street? 

Odell is getting open. Baker is throwing some inaccurate balls. Okay. Odell is also dropping the ball too like he did in against the Chargers in a critical situation. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In today's screenshot day and age, this is flawed logic or completely disingenuous. He clearly wanted it out there for people to see, coupled in the same timeline as his dad nuking things.

If you want to stick to reasons why OBJ is the victim here based upon him being open/whatever and it being Baker's fault, so be it, but using this to justify that is totally hilarious.

And like I’ve said before, if this was all just a big misunderstanding, he’d have come out and said so. The video would have been taken down or at least addressed.  He’d be answering his coach’s calls. None of this has happened.

He’s frustrated (justifiably) and wants out and this is how he decided to do it.  

People acting like “buh whud he do?!?” are as I’ve said previously, oblivious or being obtuse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And like I’ve said before, if this was all just a big misunderstanding, he’d have come out and said so. The video would have been taken down or at least addressed.  He’d be answering his coach’s calls. None of this has happened.

He’s frustrated (justifiably) and wants out and this is how he decided to do it.  

People acting like “buh whud he do?!?” are as I’ve said previously, oblivious or being obtuse.

OBJ devotees who cannot compute:

tommy-boy-car.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Why is it just an indictment against him instead of at worst being a two-way street? 

Odell is getting open. Baker is throwing some inaccurate balls. Okay. Odell is also dropping the ball too like he did in against the Chargers in a critical situation. 

And in the Cardinals game when that game was still close. Another fourth down drop that he 100% should have caught.

And it's not like he had the best hands in 2019 or 2020 either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

And in the Cardinals game when that game was still close. Another fourth down drop that he 100% should have caught.

And it's not like he had the best hands in 2019 or 2020 either.

Those were 4th down drops in the red zone as well. Gotta have those man.

Additionally, while he may be getting open and he may have some inaccurate passes thrown in his direction, I think the overwhelming majority of Browns fans who’ve watched every snap this season would say he’s not showing a lot of effort at making contested or tough catches.

I’m not saying he’s not playing hard, his blocking has been fine, etc., but when the ball is in the air he doesn’t seem to want to compete for it. Just my opinion though.

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

OBJ has to agree to this for the league to turn a blind eye, no?  

Eh, hard to say. It's a gray area.

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

So why haven't they cut him yet?

They likely are trying to figure out whether or not another divisional team would pick him up off of waivers for the rest of the season I'd imagine. Not sure.