Week 9 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

38 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Also here is my main reason for Favre not being an all-time great. In the NFL rings are as easy to come by as the NBA almost (not sure of the exact stats but they are close to being about as valuable) and Favre only has a single one. Meanwhile in the NBA a player that isn't all that great in LeBron has four rings. Basically if you aren't even as good as LeBron you likely aren't a great player at all. 

Don't see how you can make that comparison. The success of an NBA team is way more influenced by a single player compared to a football team, even if it's quarterback. In addition, there is more sample size with NBA games, especially in the playoffs. It's not one game-elimination. If you get one ring as a quarterback while also being a prime factor for it's success you're already in extremely rarefied air in my book. Most of the all time best quarterbacks have just one ring or even none.

• Like 4

Joe Montana was 28-21 after 5 years.

His great statistical years were 6,9, and 11.

He was about a 90 rated passer in the playoffs and regular season at that point.

It was good but not stats GoaT like Mahomes through 5 years.

I get that this info is hiding on the internet so its tough to find.

40 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The success of an NBA team is way more influenced by a single player compared to a football team, even if it's quarterback.

When will people finally stop trying to compare an NFL QB and their contribution to the team, that consists of 11 players on the field on any given play, to that of an NBA player where they only have 5.

Sure, in the NFL one player can make a difference, but not nearly as much as it can in the NBA. Lebron has proving this time and time again.

16 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Joe Montana was 28-21 after 5 years.

His great statistical years were 6,9, and 11.

He was about a 90 rated passer in the playoffs and regular season at that point.

It was good but not stats GoaT like Mahomes through 5 years.

I get that this info is hiding on the internet so its tough to find.

Different game in the 80s though.  The QB got far less protection.  The DBs could marmalize the receivers, especially over the middle.  Schemes are way better now.  Rule changes help the offense.

Context my dear boy, context

Edited by Dan_Bali
  • Like 1

Brady was N/A, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 9th in passer rating his first 5 years.

His first MVP was in year 8.

(It takes real effort to overrate Brady but you managed to do it (for his first 5 years just as a passer))

Can we hear about how great Jim Plunkett's first 5 years were next?

Rich Gannon?

Drew Brees?

Terry Bradshaw? 🤣

Its pretty much Marino, Warner, Mahomes, end of list. (both Marino and Warner crashed down hard by year 5)

I guess you could throw Unitas and Graham* in there too but now you are going pre-Super Bowl.

• Graham's first 4 years were in a minor league.

No one holds the peak as the best at QB for a long period of time. Its too hard and there are too many other great players. Even Brady had '02, '08, '13, and '19 and he's clearly the best ever.

Brady was a 74.9 rated passer after 8 weeks of 2013. Lots of clowns had lots to say then.

2 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Going year by year.

Year 1 2000/2017 both on the bench

Year 2 2001/2018 Brady was better

Year 3 2002/2019 Mahomes was better

Year 3 2003/2020 Brady was better

Year 4 2004/2021 Brady was waaaaaay better at least so far, but Mahomes almost certainly has a worse season than 2004 Brady.

How was Brady better in 2001 than Mahomes in 2018? In fact none of those 3 years was Brady better. Unless you are using team success as a barometer.

This isn't twitter... your trolling is getting old. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

Different game in the 80s though.  The QB got far less protection.  The DBs could marmalize the receivers, especially over the middle.  Schemes are way better now.  Rule changes help the offense.

Context my dear boy, context

The context was that he was not the best in his era at that point.

You have to have context for your context or its just a word.

Montana was N/A, N/A, 4th, 5th, and 5th in passer rating in his first 5.

Want to explain how 5th was really 1st because DBs could grab you?

20 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

When will people finally stop trying to compare an NFL QB and their contribution to the team, that consists of 11 players on the field on any given play, to that of an NBA player where they only have 5.

Sure, in the NFL one player can make a difference, but not nearly as much as it can in the NBA. Lebron has proving this time and time again.

It is more difficult to win rings in the NFL, but it isn't the most difficult sport to win in that is Hockey as it is the hardest sport to win a championship in. In my opinion one Stanley Cup is equal to about 2.5 Super Bowl rings and 3 NBA Championships in terms of difficulty and ranking all-time great players.