Week 9 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think I fell in love with it just because it was something I straight up just couldn't do. Maybe made me appreciate it more or something. Not even just playing with other kids growing up, I just couldn't do it. 

I get that. I used to have roller blades as a kid and I was decent, when they first came out I believe, which was supposedly similar to ice skates (per advertisements anyhow) but there is no in hell you would get me in an ice rink and expect me to be able hold my balance on ice in the same as roller blades. Eff that. And I was pretty athletic back then (played baseball, boxing, football but I would also consider myself a pretty self-aware person and I know my limits lol.

• Like 1

Hockey is way more popular than you think it is.

American Football is way less popular than you think it is.

Soccer is clear number 1 and basketball is probably bigger than Hockey and American football combined,

Volleyball might be bigger than American Football.

But yeah, Aaron Donald on a street in Italy would get... absolutely nothing.

I saw this a couple times yesterday and it’s bugged me for years, so posting about it now.

When there’s a loose ball resulting in a pile up after a fumble, why the hell do the players not involved in the pile point at one another to try and signal what the ref is going to rule? He’s hardly going to change is mind based on teams pointing at each other 

8 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Hockey is way more popular than you think it is.

American Football is way less popular than you think it is.

Soccer is clear number 1 and basketball is probably bigger than Hockey and American football combined,

Volleyball might be bigger than American Football.

But yeah, Aaron Donald on a street in Italy would get... absolutely nothing.

Soccer is easily the most popular in Europe and South America. Then you can add the growing popularity in South East Asia and Africa - and now you're in the BILLIONS

Cricket is beyond popular in Australia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India - you're into the BILLIONS as well, just because of India and Pak

In USA, I'd say it's marginally in favor of football, but worldwide you'd have to say basketball is more popular than football. So overall basketball, I agree.

And yes, the only reason Donald would get noticed in the streets of Italy would be because he looks like the total opposite of most people. They wouldn't know who he is at all. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I saw this a couple times yesterday and it’s bugged me for years, so posting about it now.

When there’s a loose ball resulting in a pile up after a fumble, why the hell do the players not involved in the pile point at one another to try and signal what the ref is going to rule? He’s hardly going to change is mind based on teams pointing at each other 

The pile on is very strange, and I think it must be a unique thing in sport. The closest would be rugby, when they go to the video ref to see if the attacker has grounded the ball or if the defender has his hands under it. If the footage isn't clear, they usually always call in favour of 'held up' unless you can see the ball grounded.

I don't get how they do it in the pile up. Is it just whoever happens to be holding the football when the ref begins pulling players off the pile? You could be fighting for the ball under the pile? In a sport that is scrutinised down to the Nth degree and extreme margins are forensically anaylsed - this seems like a real throw back. Just...yeah....fight the ball and we'll see won't we. 

11 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Also here is my main reason for Favre not being an all-time great. In the NFL rings are as easy to come by as the NBA almost (not sure of the exact stats but they are close to being about as valuable) and Favre only has a single one. Meanwhile in the NBA a player that isn't all that great in LeBron has four rings. Basically if you aren't even as good as LeBron you likely aren't a great player at all. 

Lol

12 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Also here is my main reason for Favre not being an all-time great. In the NFL rings are as easy to come by as the NBA almost (not sure of the exact stats but they are close to being about as valuable) and Favre only has a single one. Meanwhile in the NBA a player that isn't all that great in LeBron has four rings. Basically if you aren't even as good as LeBron you likely aren't a great player at all. 

So are we also ignoring those 3 consecutive MVP awards?

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Well, it does happen:

browns.jpg

She pointed Washington's direction despite Duke Johnson emerging from the pile with the football. As this was a turnover, this was not a challengeable play.