Week 9 GDT - Terrible Towels vs the Terrible HC

Sugashane

Watched this late last night.   Horrendous start, but Fields looked really good in moments.  

Man if ever a game looked rigged by officials that would be a heck of an exhibit A.  

I was watching in condensed mode so I didn’t have benefit of replay and broadcast explanations of calls, but there was a lot of crazy stuff happening.  

One call where they said Bears shifted into a legal formation after being in an illegal formation.  That isn’t illegal to do.  Guys accidentally line on or off line of scrimmage all the time and adjust themselves.   But thing is I saw no one even move, so where was shift?  

Then to call taunting on a big sack when as far as I could tell player wasn’t even facing the QB?

If a guy starts half a tick before snap on offense you don’t need to call that every single time. It happens on about 40% of plays.

The no calls were huge too.   Fields getting mauled.  Quinn getting bear hugged time and again.  That is with watching fast.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking back on the game and putting aside the fact those refs need to be fired this morning a few things stood out...

Fields looked outstanding...he is so calm throughout the game not getting too high or too low regardless of if he has just had a big completion or been sacked...his arm strength and ability to make every throw makes it even more frustrating that we don't seem to open up the offence until the 2nd half of every game...let him play...forget the rookie tag...

Monty looked really good in his return but I was really disappointed that Herbert only had 4 carries...he is better than that and we need more of a balance between the two of them...

Nice to see Robinson remember he is a WR...he played far better than any any other game this season but he still isn't a part of the future here...I still think we need to use Mooney more in the deep passing game...

We finally got to see what Kmet can do down the seem...he and Fields seem to be getting a bit of a connection and that is something we 100% need to do more of because he is a talented kid...just needs to the opportunity...someone cut Graham and let Horsted take his few snaps...

Interior OL especially Daniels & Mustipher are still a major weakness for this team especially in pass pro...Peters was solid...I though as much as T.J Watt had 3 sacks Borom actually held up really well and I would only put one of the sacks on him...the 1st was on Daniels giving up quick pressure in Fields face...the 2nd on an idiotic play design that let him walk into the backfield...the 3rd one Fields tried to step up and was meet by Watt beating Borom inside and Whitehair losing an interior defender as well...

Goldman had himself a game up front and was by far our best defender consistently winning the LOS especially in the run game..was nice to see him finally looking like his old self...disappointed with what we got from Nichols who seemed to disappear...Hicks wasn't much better...Blackson had a solid game..

Roquan is a beast inside and the quicker we get him looked up long term the better...Danny T doesn't have much left at all...Quinn had a nice sack but two stupid penalties...

Vildor is going to learn a lot from this season...needs to move back to nickel but hopefully long term this season of being beaten like a drum will help him...the blown coverages continue and again anyone who think that Eddie Jackson isn't an important part of this D needs to watch more...

Coaching as usual was way behind the curve and we need a full clean out...at least they don't seem to be destroying Fields.

In the second half, the OL finally started holding up against the pass rush and we really got to see Fields shine. I've been very hard on Fields but I have noticed as he gets time he's able to make some killer throws. I've also noticed him going to his left is DEADLY. Some of these throws are Mahome-esque. 

We rarely play to Fields strengths such as roll outs, moving the pocket, three level throws. It's a shame Nagy is hell bent on playing a certain way with Fields.

• Like 2

We owe a big thanks to Matt Nagy;  his mismanagement of the team has created favorable outcomes in either a win or loss for the Bears.  Obviously winning is fun, but in games like the last two I've ended the game with a feeling of "that was a hoot, Fields played well and now they HAVE to fire the staff, right?"

It seems like there's always an excuse for the team looking sloppy and confused (this weeks Covid recovery) but it also seems like the team needs and excuse and 80% of the time.

That illegal shift was bizarre, but definitely happened early so I can see why it would be off your condensed version. I did not understand it but it seemed like one of those gimmicky shifts that wasn't executed right. 

The refs were very bad to the point of creating at least the appearance of an outside interest in the game.  

The prospect of Fields playing in blue and orange for the next 12 years is the most excited I've been for the Bears prospects ever. I'm contractually obligated to point out that even if they don't get him killed this year, the Bears are in a rough position to build around him with limited picks and a lot of bad contracts hampering their ability to improve at OL, WR and still field some sort of defense. 

Also, not Bears related but I can't stop watching over and over and wondering what is going on in that guys head or at least his arms. 

31 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Also, not Bears related but I can't stop watching over and over and wondering what is going on in that guys head or at least his arms. 

It looks funny, but he is just waiving runner to cut outside him because he is going to make a block.   

I believe if Fields had slipped to Patriots nation would be saying he was steal of draft by this point and SF, Broncos and Bears fans would be blowing a gasket.

He would have had a season similar to Herbert last year with Chargers, maybe better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I believe if Fields had slipped to Patriots nation would be saying he was steal of draft by this point and SF, Broncos and Bears fans would be blowing a gasket.

He would have had a season similar to Herbert last year with Chargers, maybe better.

Funnily enough their OL isn’t tremendous, but even an average OL seems that much better than the Bears’.

That and coaching. They committed to Jones early. And you can tell their coaches pay attention to detail.

• Like 1

First half horrible, solid second half.  Fields looked good as the game went on.  He's looking better each week.  Would like to see more rushes.  While we had 26, DM only had 13 and KH had 4.  IMO 25+ between the two of them.  The refs must have hated the Bears.  A couple bs penalties.  The low block that took a touchdown off the board, even the commentators said that wasn't a penalty.  Fields getting blindsided by a defender a clear second or two after he threw the ball.  No flag, WTF?  Was Marsh's taunting penalty even taunting?  Pitt played a good game, they have a lot of talent of their team, give credit to them.  We have a couple weeks to prepare for Baltimore. 

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Funnily enough their OL isn’t tremendous, but even an average OL seems that much better than the Bears’.

That and coaching. They committed to Jones early. And you can tell their coaches pay attention to detail.

That is difference.

I have literally seen exact same group of kids from ages 10 - 14 go from like 2 wins in a season to 1st or 2nd place following season probably 8 or 9 different times with only difference being coaching.

Coaching means more in football than any other sport even at NFL level.   Talent still matters a lot, but coaching is huge.

A huge tell of a well coached team is when players move to other teams and don't do nearly as well.  And when they go to the well coached team they perform better than whence they came.

You see that all the time with the Patriots.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Why the Wildcat? Wouldn’t the Bears be better off running those with Fields and Montgomery? Are they just limiting the number of hits Fields takes?

I would think that is the main reason...

The other reason is the wildcat often creates confusion in a defensive front.