Bears 2022 Wide Receiver Watch

soulman

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

if we're going big game hunting for FA WR Godwin is still my #1. Ball magnet, great run blocker, still only 26 years old. Draft a C and CB with our first 2 picks.

That'd be nice and all but do you really expect the Bears to woo Godwin into signing here? A lot has to go right for that to happen and the you'll likely have to get into a bidding war with other teams 

Why not just try and keep Robinson at this point 

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That'd be nice and all but do you really expect the Bears to woo Godwin into signing here? A lot has to go right for that to happen and the you'll likely have to get into a bidding war with other teams 

Leftwich would be an interesting twist...

Not sure anything keeps Robinson here after this season.

26 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

i'm not saying godwin would want to come here, i'm just saying he would be my #1 tarrget

and maybe robinson doesn't want to be here anymore?

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

i'm not saying godwin would want to come here, i'm just saying he would be my #1 tarrget

and maybe robinson doesn't want to be here anymore?

Maybe not but there's nothing preventing the team from re-applying the franchise tag on him. In fact I see the likelihood of that happening very high.

Chicago Bears must sign this 2022 free agent after his recent performance

If Chicago Bears fans missed it, Michael Gallup had a very impressive Thanksgiving performance. Despite the Cowboys falling short to the Raiders, Gallup finished with five receptions for over 100 yards.

Michael Gallup has stepped up into a larger role with both Ceedee Lamb and Amari Cooper currently out for the Dallas Cowboys. Despite being injured a good majority of the year, he’s managed to have a respectable season with 17 catches for 228 yards.

He’s been an underrated piece of the Cowboys’ offense since he was drafted in 2018 and has the ability to make catches like this one from last night:

This year is Gallup’s contract year. According to Spotrac, the Cowboys will start 2022 with negative cap space. It’s safe to say they won’t be able to find money to extend Michael Gallup.

Enter, the Chicago Bears.

Michael Gallup would be a great fit for the Chicago Bears

Currently, the Bears have Darnell Mooney and rookie Dazz Newsome under contract at receiver in 2022. It’s very unlikely they’ll retain Allen Robinson, who will be one of the top free agents at receiver next year.

For the Bears, who are entering the offseason with lots of cap space and even more free agents, addressing their offense will be important. They need to find weapons for quarterback Justin Fields that will compliment Mooney’s abilities. Michael Gallup would be a perfect fit. He has decent size and great route running, allowing a speedster like Mooney to stretch defenses out.

Spotrac lists Michael Gallup’s calculated market value at $11.6 million for his annual average salary. That means his estimated contract would be a 4-year, $46.7 million contract. Ultimately, if the Bears wanted to jump at the chance to sign the 26-year-old receiver, they’ll likely need to offer him $13-15 million a year. They could do a deal similar to the Denver Broncos extension of Courtland Sutton. Sutton signed a 4-year, $60.8 million deal with $34.9 million guaranteed.

It won’t be easy to make a similar offer, however. Chicago has several key free agents entering 2022, including linebacker Roquan Smith. They’ll need to get creative with Gallup’s 2022 cap hit, but losing out on such an undervalued player to help upgrade their offense would be terrible (and very Bears).

Gallup’s production may fluctuate a bit as the Cowboys get healthy, but his NFL career so far makes him deserving of a big second contract, one that the Bears should be offering the first day of free agency.

53 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He has just got better and better all season...the guy I am now interested in for us who might declare is George Pickens...coming off the ACL but damn there is a bit of AJ Green about him.

Round 2 may be too early for him and he may not be there in round 3. I do like him too

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Round 2 may be too early for him and he may not be there in round 3. I do like him too

I would take the risk on him at the top of the 2nd round...his size, length, catch radius, body control and hands are something that would just make life so much easier for Fields.