Mason is so uninspiring...

mwalker

Watching him run the offense is just so meh.
I think he's a solid #2 - but man, I think it's all so average with him at the helm.
Tough conditions, the rain and all today, but too many 50/50 balls and missing 
on too many intermediary routes.

Edited by mwalker

we win today if he makes the lay-up pass to Mcloud in the endzone or does not throw that ball 1,000 MPH to Johnson for a easy huge gain/TD

he's just so mediocre. only thing he does at a NFL level is throw a pretty deep ball. I don't get how he stayed on this roster for these many yrs with very little competition. reminds me of Benny snell in that regard. 

Edited by August4th

He is not a solid number 2.      Solid number 2s can make routine passes.     If a player isnt wide open, the pass is usually either getting broken up or intercepted, because Rudolph floats his passes constantly, even when throwing into coverage.   The hardest pass he threw today was on a 3 yard pass that, if he lobbed it, wouldve been an easy first down and mightve lead to the win.    

Lets remember, this is the same QB that couldnt even NOTABLY outplay Delvin Hodges.   Hodges is out of the league.   Think about that.

Is Rudolph the worst backup in the league?   No....but thats mostly because most backup QBs suck.     Rudolph is just one of them.  

If I have to watch a backup QB, Id rather it either be a young QB with upside, or a QB that can at least make some things exciting.    

The only redeeming aspect about Rudolph is that he usually....USUALLY wont make the big mistake, but he is so painfully mediocre in every other facet that....who cares?

Still, if it were up to me, Id dump every QB we currently have, dump Matt Canada, and start completely fresh next year.    I wouldnt mind having Rudolph compete AT VET MINIMUM, but Id bring in a vet, a drafted rookie and maybe a UDFA or low end FA so that Rudolph would have to work just to get the 3rd backup spot.

steelers traded more for a CB who does not dress, than what the Eagles gave up for Gardner Minshew smh I just don't get why they did not do more to push mason off this roster. bringing backs dobbs and bringing in Haskins feels like such a weak effort..they could not find a QB with some good tape in the last two offseasons?

Edited by August4th

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

He is not a solid number 2.      Solid number 2s can make routine passes.     If a player isnt wide open, the pass is usually either getting broken up or intercepted, because Rudolph floats his passes constantly, even when throwing into coverage.   The hardest pass he threw today was on a 3 yard pass that, if he lobbed it, wouldve been an easy first down and mightve lead to the win.    

Lets remember, this is the same QB that couldnt even NOTABLY outplay Delvin Hodges.   Hodges is out of the league.   Think about that.

Is Rudolph the worst backup in the league?   No....but thats mostly because most backup QBs suck.     Rudolph is just one of them.  

If I have to watch a backup QB, Id rather it either be a young QB with upside, or a QB that can at least make some things exciting.    

The only redeeming aspect about Rudolph is that he usually....USUALLY wont make the big mistake, but he is so painfully mediocre in every other facet that....who cares?

Still, if it were up to me, Id dump every QB we currently have, dump Matt Canada, and start completely fresh next year.    I wouldnt mind having Rudolph compete AT VET MINIMUM, but Id bring in a vet, a drafted rookie and maybe a UDFA or low end FA so that Rudolph would have to work just to get the 3rd backup spot.

I don't really disagree. I was probably being too nice.
I'd be much more interested in watching Hurts and Haskins compete.
I'm unsure about Canada. He's in a tricky spot this season, I think.
We're not drafting any immediate starters in this draft either.

1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

The sad thing is the Steelers win this game if Diontae Johnson doesn't fumble, or if Muth doesn't fumble, or if the D makes a couple of plays either to stop the Lions running game or picking off passes.

Mason wasn't good, but he was good enough.

I mean, you list one play here and one play there that couldve changed the outcome...and youre not necessarily wrong...but you omit several key passes Mason didnt make late in the game.

And the only reason his play was even close to good enough is because the Lions are the worst team in the league.

Im not blaming him for the loss, but he is a bad QB who I have zero faith in.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I mean, you list one play here and one play there that couldve changed the outcome...and youre not necessarily wrong...but you omit several key passes Mason didnt make late in the game.

And the only reason his play was even close to good enough is because the Lions are the worst team in the league.

Im not blaming him for the loss, but he is a bad QB who I have zero faith in.

Not saying Mason didn't suck; he did. He absolutely did. I'm just saying despite his performance, the Steelers had chances to win. It was a collective team loss. The team overall did not step up to make plays and help the backup QB win a game. The backup QB played crappy, but he was not the reason the team lost.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

At this point if Ben can’t play next week I’d rather see Haskins play and see if there’s any improvement there than see another week of Mason. We know what Mason is and isn’t, he should be gone, let’s see if Haskins should be on the team next year or we dump all the QBS and start all new. 

I agree to an extent. I've heard they really want to give him a full year to see what it's like to be a pro. They seem to really be slow playing him, which I generally agree with. I would like to see what he's got, though.

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

At this point if Ben can’t play next week I’d rather see Haskins play and see if there’s any improvement there than see another week of Mason. We know what Mason is and isn’t, he should be gone, let’s see if Haskins should be on the team next year or we dump all the QBS and start all new. 

It was reported by Aditi that he was on his phone during warmups and not controlling music. Honestly. Cut him if true. Suit up Dobbs. 

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It was reported by Aditi that he was on his phone during warmups and not controlling music. Honestly. Cut him if true. Suit up Dobbs. 

She has had a problem with the Steelers all year. I had to stop following her. It's too obvious she either has a problem with them or understands that she gets clicks and responses out of them.

Hope she comments about baker mayfield wearing headphones during warmups next week (they will be connected to his phone). Or Joe Burrow. Or 98% of the rest of the NFL. 

Picking on the Steelers third string guy for most likely doing it too? Nah, Aditi is working angles on Steelers fans and I am over it. 

• Like 1