The Playoff Race

vike daddy

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Although I'm not there yet, this is why we should be a little more optimistic...

Would be curious to see how that looks towards the end of the first half and the third quarter. That seems to be where games our lost for the Vikes. Until this issue is fixed, this team is done. 

I appreciate fans' optimism when the Vikings are in the hunt, but truly, last week was a slice of why . . . The Vikes have the feel of the '87 team that was lackluster all season.   But, they got into the playoffs and Anthony Carter tore up the playoffs (until the Darrin Nelson drop).   The difference being . . . The defense carried that team and the normally putrid offense got hot late.

With this team, if the defense continues giving up 1st downs via penalty and on 2nd down, who cares about 3rd down stop percentage?   If they give up 5 ypc, the offense needs to put up 50.  So fans, summon the great ghosts of 3-Deep and the '98 team because for the next 7 games, that's what we'll need to see.  

12 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I appreciate fans' optimism when the Vikings are in the hunt, but truly, last week was a slice of why . . . The Vikes have the feel of the '87 team that was lackluster all season.   But, they got into the playoffs and Anthony Carter tore up the playoffs (until the Darrin Nelson drop).   The difference being . . . The defense carried that team and the normally putrid offense got hot late.

With this team, if the defense continues giving up 1st downs via penalty and on 2nd down, who cares about 3rd down stop percentage?   If they give up 5 ypc, the offense needs to put up 50.  So fans, summon the great ghosts of 3-Deep and the '98 team because for the next 7 games, that's what we'll need to see.  

It's hard for me to compare this team to any of the other ones, since the games seem to hinge on the last 2 minutes every week...it's almost like a typical NBA game where that's the only part that matters.  The 1987 team at least had the underdog thing going for them, and yes their offense was pretty lackluster, until AC went out of his mind in the 49ers game.  The one difference between that team and this one, is this one has more talent across the board, so if they back into the playoffs like that team did, I don't think they will necessarily be considered an underdog, although they still might not make it as far as that team did.  This is a weird team this year.    

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's hard for me to compare this team to any of the other ones, since the games seem to hinge on the last 2 minutes every week...it's almost like a typical NBA game where that's the only part that matters.  The 1987 team at least had the underdog thing going for them, and yes their offense was pretty lackluster, until AC went out of his mind in the 49ers game.  The one difference between that team and this one, is this one has more talent across the board, so if they back into the playoffs like that team did, I don't think they will necessarily be considered an underdog, although they still might not make it as far as that team did.  This is a weird team this year.    

Without Hunter and Griffen, and with the general weakness of our Cornerbacks, this team is going to have to score 35-40 points a game in the playoffs to have any shot. 

I truly hope that Hunter isn't "injury prone" now, and that this will be the last significant time he will miss for several years. We finally have the offense to compete with teams, but this defense, while scrappy, is just not good enough. I don't see low-scoring defensive battles in the playoffs. If this team wins, it will because Cousins, JJ, and Thielen carry them.

• Like 1

1. Cardinals (10-2), 2. Packers (9-3), 3. Buccaneers (9-3) 4. Cowboys (8-4)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Rams (8-4): @ Cardinals, Seahawks, @ Vikings, @ Ravens49ers

6. Washington (6-6): Cowboys, @ Eagles, @ Cowboys, Eagles, @ Giants

7. 49ers (6-6): @ Bengals, Falcons, @ Titans, Texans, @ Rams

8. Eagles (6-7): Washington, Giants, @ WashingtonCowboys

9. Vikings (5-7): Steelers, @ Bears, Rams@ Packers, Bears

10. Panthers (5-7): Falcons, @ BillsBuccaneers, @ Saints, @ Buccaneers

11. Falcons (5-7): Buccaneers, @ Panthers, @ 49ers, Lions, @ Bills, Saints

12. Saints (5-7): @ Jets, @ Buccaneers, Dolphins, Panthers, @ Falcons
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Giants (4-8), 14. Bears (4-8), 15. Seahawks (4-8), 16. Lions (1-10-1)

Bold = Opponent is current playoff team.

That NFCE could get interesting...

A 4-1 finish is the only way I can see this team having a chance at the playoffs. 

So, naturally, the Vikings will somehow win their next 3 games, lose to the Packers, and have a “win and in” game at home against the Bears. Which they will lose on either a last second field goal, or miss a last second field goal. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

A 4-1 finish is the only way I can see this team having a chance at the playoffs. 

So, naturally, the Vikings will somehow win their next 3 games, lose to the Packers, and have a “win and in” game at home against the Bears. Which they will lose on either a last second field goal, or miss a last second field goal. 

This is so accurate it hurts.

• Like 2