Week 12: Eagles vs Giants Round 1- The Long Journey to the Middle

EaglesPeteC

Just now, Danger said:

ok and by that logic Marcus Smith and Nelly were Chip picks.

Wentz, Dillard and the like were Doug picks.

Nobody knows for certain, but generally accepted that Andy was the decision maker, or at very least most influential voice in room, during Howie’s 1st 2 years as “GM”. 2015 obviously as well, where he was explicitly demoted.

2013-2014, 2016-present are the drafts I personally credit to Howie. I don’t buy that Chip came in as 1st year coach and was calling the shots. Surely his style/preferences influenced Howie in 2013, but he gets credit for that draft. Even with that class, his record is horrendous.  

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wentz, Dillard and the like were Doug picks.

What RMIB said is 100% my line of thinking. Andy was the one in control of the draft at the time of the BG/Cox picks and Howie was mostly involved with the trades/contract stuff.

Marcus Smith and Agholor were Chip picks not Howie picks I agree there.

Maybe I am wrong and Howie was the guy the second he became GM, but I don't think that is the case.

Doug never had FULL control of the draft. Obviously every coach has a say, but Howie has been the guy since Doug was hired. That is why the Reagor pick is still on him even though the report that it was Doug's guy came out after he was fired(which is crazy and a definite Howie thing to do).

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

15 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

What’s Nabbs smokin. Maclin was just fine here. 4700 yards, 36 TDs in 5 years. 

per 16 games he was over 1000 yards, 7.5 TDs. Nothing wrong with that. 

I do smoke the good 💩, however I think you all are missing my point. It wasn't that Maclin Sucked (I was one of his biggest supporters). It was the fact as a 1st rd pick, given his issues early on (never reaching 1k BS), being at that time compared to SB winner Hakeem Nick's and Kenny Britt. Fans never appreciated him, thought he was a bust, until he was gone and we see the craptastic WR's we've been forced to use since!

Maclin- Nick's, Britt

Agholor- Cooper, Parker, ect

Reagor- Lamb, Jefferson,  ect...

No flippin clue if Reagor can change his ineptitude or fold mentally like Nelson did as a Eagle. Just saying it used to be year 3 we saw that massive jump for WR but because of the instant success of the OBJ, Evans, Lambs, Jefferson ect. Every WR is expected "unfairly " IMO to be that guy. 

We seemed to have lucked out with DeVonta being "that guy", whether Reagor can turn it around remains to be seen. Doubtful but not impossible. 

Let's not forget we probably don't win a SB without Nelly's contributions during that run. Just saying.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Danger said:

No Marcus Smith was 100% Howie,  not even in question. That draft was the beginning of the Chip/Roseman division within the building as GM,  honestly rightfully so.

That was the draft Chip wanted Howie to trade up and take OBJ no matter the cost. Instead Howie kept playing games, trading back because he wanted to fill a supposed position of need (DE), rather then going and getting the BPA.

Giving Chip 

Smith and Matthews 👍

Over

OBJ  🙈

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

No Marcus Smith was 100% Howie,  not even in question. That draft was the beginning of the Chip/Roseman division within the building as GM,  honestly rightfully so.

That was the draft Chip wanted Howie to trade up and take OBJ no matter the cost. Instead Howie kept playing games, trading back because he wanted to fill a supposed position of need (DE), rather then going BPA.

Giving Chip 

Smith and Matthews 👍

Over

OBJ  🙈

So Lane was Chip... But Marcus Smith was Howie even though Howie was in the middle of losing a power struggle with Chip for GM at the time.

I am confused.

Not really sure we should give anyone credit for Lane regardless cause he was a freaking layup with who was on the board.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So Lane was Chip... But Marcus Smith was Howie even though Howie was in the middle of losing a power struggle with Chip for GM at the time.

I am confused.

Not really sure we should give anyone credit for Lane regardless cause he was a freaking layup with who was on the board.

You should be, you're talking about two seperate years. Chip was notorious for wanting players who either fit his uptempo scheme or he played against at Oregon. 

It's why he wanted Lane, wanted  Ertz, wanted Huff. Two of the 3 worked out. He wanted nothing to do with Smith that draft. Wanted a impact WR like OBJ or Cooks and Howie kept trading back. Finally settling on HOF WR Jordan Matthews in the 2nd???? 

That started the Divide.

Don't think for a second DE Ezekiel Ansah wasn't in the mix giving Howie's thinking. He chose Lane to make his newly signed Wonder Boy HC happy.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

You should be, you're talking about two seperate years. Chip was notorious for wanting players who either fit his uptempo scheme or he played against at Oregon. 

It's why he wanted Lane, wanted  Ertz, wanted Huff. Two of the 3 worked out. He wanted nothing to do with Smith that draft. Wanted a impact WR like OBJ or Cooks and Howie kept trading back. Finally settling on HOF WR Jordan Matthews in the 2nd???? 

That started the Divide.

Don't think for a second DE Ezekiel Ansah wasn't in the mix giving Howie's thinking. He chose Lane to make his newly signed Wonder Boy HC happy.

Is any of this documented at all? I feel like everything you are saying here is the exact opposite of the general consensus of most Eagles fans. I distinctly remember the narrative being Chip wanted his Oregon guys like Dion, Huff, Barner etc...

Guess we have no way of knowing what actually happened but this feels out there imo. 

^^^Simple Google search

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/25/chip-kelly-i-rated-odell-beckham-no-1-overall-in-last-years-draft/

“I didn’t have final say so, I mean, you always defer to who’s in charge,” Kelly said.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2015/3/26/8294459/would-chip-kelly-have-traded-up-to-get-odell-beckham

Odell Beckham as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles? Fans of the New York Giants should be thankful Chip Kelly did not have control over Eagles' personnel decisions a year ago. Otherwise, that scenario might actually have played out.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

These statements are the same as Howie leaking that Doug wanted Reagor over Jefferson and that is why we picked him. It might be true it could be complete bs.

Also a quick google search led me to this: https://www.nj.com/eagles/2015/01/did_eagles_chip_kelly_want_jordan_matthews_or_marcus_smith_in_1st_round_of_2014_nfl_draft.html

Chip Kelly and Howie Roseman were highly at odds over the first two years in draft strategy. Chip Kelly, for instance, wanted to take Jordan Matthews in the first round this last year. Howie Roseman basically had to explain to him, "No, you're going to be able to get a guy like Matthews in the second round." That happened in a number of other circumstances according to sources who I've talked to who understand the Eagles situation.

So ya.... I am totally willing to give the Smith draft to Howie, but if I had to guess that was when the power started trending towards the HC due to the success on the field year one.

10 hours ago, Jeezla said:

he had 1 good year and 4 Jordan Matthews years. Forget his averages, he went over 900 yards only twice, and only went over 1000 once. He was a good #2 WR, but still a bust for a 1st round pick. Maclin gets slack because he didn't have those "you f'd up" plays, like Agholor and Reagor dropping guaranteed TD's, but he wasn't anything special. w/e he was though, is much better than Reagor/Agholor/JJAW.

That’s an awful take. A guaranteed 900 yards a year and 8 TDs isn’t a bust. 1st round production? Maybe not. But a bust? Not even close. Matthews wasn’t close to the talent of Maclin. A good #2 isn’t a bust. What are your draft expectations? Like what’s Barnett and Marcus Smith and Danny Watkins? Freddy Mitchell? The scope of “bust” isn’t that wide. Maclin was a good football player. 

• Like 1