Week 12: Eagles vs Giants Round 1- The Long Journey to the Middle

EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don’t know who to hate more… Reagor or Howie? Who should I hate more I really don’t know what to do. 

Howie cause he had no business drafting with him especially when everyone knew Jets was a better player. They have THREE first round picks. He can't screw this up but I understand why folk are nervous.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don't know about Wilson easily being a WR2. Gallup definitely is though.

I don't think he is a WR2 but for quite a few times and watching him do well this season... I can see plenty looking at him that way.  Gallup, no question. He will be a top target in FA.

This looks like a decent class but the very top will get tagged or resigned. But players like Allen Robinson could be an interesting choice for Eagles. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

So what do we do at QB? Just ride it out in 2022? Are we back in the trade sweepstakes for a big time veteran? Reach for a QB?

I was not “anti” or “pro” Hurts coming into today but it is legitimately hard to envision a QB ever being the guy when he’s already had a full season worth of starts and has a 3 INT performance in a close game. A game where it felt like we literally couldn’t move the ball through the air and had to just run it. Maybe I’ll feel differently after emotions have settled but that was just rough, and worst of all, it’s going backwards, and almost rewrites narrative of past 4 weeks.

No your point is correct i agree.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I just thought it was funny how quickly you shut that dude down and told him to get the hell outta here. 

I already gotta deal with enough negativity from Eagles fans...@RandyMossIsBoss , @Danger@AZ_Eaglesfan , etc. 

I ain't gonna stand for an outsider coming in here with that BS, especially not one from arguably the most inept franchise of the last decade 😂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I already gotta deal with enough negativity from Eagles fans...@RandyMossIsBoss , @Danger@AZ_Eaglesfan , etc. 

I ain't gonna stand for an outsider coming in here with that BS, especially not one from arguably the most inept franchise of the last decade 😂

I wouldn't describe myself as negative so much. More apathetic, uninspired.  There are a whole lot more around here who are far more negative than me. I just don't have as high highs, or as low lows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I wouldn't describe myself as negative so much. More apathetic, uninspired.  There are a whole lot more around here who are far more negative than me. I just don't have as high highs, or as low lows.

Lol fair enough. Maybe it’s just Hurts for the most part where you’re vocal. You were just one of the first names to pop in my head. Not really hating on any of you. We are gonna be more critical of our players than basically every other team for better or worse. Some of us are gonna be glass half empty and some half full and I have had a lot of trouble being more optimistic these past years, so I get it. 

Gannon had two good weeks in a row. That’s probably the biggest positive recently.

Yeah, DJ and Trevor aren’t good and most of the Saints weapons were out and Giants had a couple weapons out too, but I’m also just talking about how he’s called these games. 

Doesn’t mean I have a lot of faith in him, but at least he’s adjusting. Wish our schedule was more balanced the first half of the year so we had some of these easier opponents earlier and at least one of the tough ones in the second half of the schedule, so we could see the defense against a good to great QB after things started clicking more.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Wouldn’t say I’m negative unnecessarily. I just call a spade a spade. I watch players and grade them as I see them. If a player is bad I call them bad. If they are good I call them good.

I was higher on Sirianni early in the year than almost this entire forum. I was lower on Gannon than most as well. I just call it how I see it.

Unfortunately for some people calling Hurts bad was really upsetting even though the evidence is slapping them in the face. The guy can’t throw or read a defense. It’s not a good combo for a QB.  

Also the Lamar/Hurts comparison is lazy and found in box score scouting. Lamar was miles ahead of Hurts the second he stepped on to an NFL field as a passer purely on talent. Lamar can make any throw and has shown that. He has occasional accuracy issues but nowhere close to what Hurts has had this season. The only thing they have in common is they both are great running the football. It’s a lazy comparison that holds no weight. 

30 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Also the Lamar/Hurts comparison is lazy and found in box score scouting. Lamar was miles ahead of Hurts the second he stepped on to an NFL field as a passer purely on talent. Lamar can make any throw and has shown that. He has occasional accuracy issues but nowhere close to what Hurts has had this season. The only thing they have in common is they both are great running the football. It’s a lazy comparison that holds no weight. 

Lamar is fair to compare to Hurts in some aspects, I don’t think it’s lazy. They came in as athletic QBs who fully rely on their legs. His rookie year he was not accurate (still is below average in terms of placement), he couldn’t read the field, he couldn’t throw from the pocket. All much of the same issues we see with Hurts. Lamar was not throwing guys open, he was buying time until he had clear separation. You know even his MVP year was similar to Hurts and our offense during the little “hot streak”, the OL and run game just dominating, staying in front of sticks, making Lamar’s job very easy (as Hurts was)… now there are 2 big differences obviously as you well know, Lamar has a cannon,  and he’s on a different level as a run threat. Hurts is a JV Lamar at similar stage in his career. Make no mistake, arm talent aside, he’s also a step or 2 behind Lamar was as a passer in his 2nd year, but it’s the same concerns so again, fair comp. Athletic QB in an offense being tailored to his legs, cannot win with his arm (I don’t think Lamar came from behind until year 3?).

Of course having a cannon and athleticism that possibly exceeds Vick made Lamar a worthwhile investment, and he paid it off by improving each year as a passer. Hurts doesn’t have that arm*, and he’s not that level athlete, AND he has not shown the rate of improvement Lamar did. Writing him off is not unfair, but I don’t think it is delusional to still be holding hope of improvement either. The next problem is just what does that improvement entail? Becoming Dak? Tyrod Taylor? Is that who we build around, somebody we hope can become Tyrod Taylor? I think that’s where I drop out.

*I think this overblown btw. His biggest issue by a country mile is reading the field. Seems he cannot process quick enough, and that dooms you as a QB. Can a QB go from “we are afraid to let him drop back and read the whole field” to franchise QB? Has that ever happened? His legs and pocket presence are not good enough that we could just long term let him be a scrambler who runs around until somebody gets wide open. We saw Giants EASILY contain his scrambles.