2022 off season

Pastor Dillon

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

You guys have the 4th most cap space so you can fit his contract in no problem and are in "win now" mode while Burrow is on a rookie contract. There's not a tackle in free agency or in the draft you can find that will help more than Tunsil (I don't see Orlando Brown or Armstead making it away from their teams). He fixes a huge need immediately and you can slide Jonah Williams to the right side. The Texans value picks over everything right now so the 1st round pick plus a 2nd/3rd next year contingent on playing time would make sense for everyone. 

I could definitely see the second pick being based on playing time and accolades. I would do it in a heartbeat. I wonder if the Bengals steal some “roster building moves” from the Rams. I honestly can’t imagine how well our offense could be with a somewhat decent OL, I’m talking like top 3 at least. The defense was built last off-season. If we can get Tunsil and a Center like Jenson, coupled with a draft pick at Guard maybe in the 2nd to compete with Carman, man that would do wonders. 

1 hour ago, LORK88 said:

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I'm glad you're not our GM because that's awful value on both players. 

I don't disagree, but given the clouds over Watson right now, that's a fair adjustment to the situation. 

My stance has been what the Lions got for Stafford - Watson is a younger and better QB but the baggage brings down his value a bit.

As far as Tunsil - you have to look at Baltimore sending Orlando Brown Jr to KC to see the going rate for LTs. It was Brown AND a 2nd for pick 31. So, I wouldn’t call a 2nd BAD value, but value that both sides would agree to with little debate (probably need a 4th in there). Tunsil is a better pass protector than Brown, but Brown is a better run blocker - so, take that for what you will.

I think it's realistic value - fans tend to overvalue their own guys and underestimate how much GMs value top 64 picks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree, but given the clouds over Watson right now, that's a fair adjustment to the situation. 

My stance has been what the Lions got for Stafford - Watson is a younger and better QB but the baggage brings down his value a bit.

As far as Tunsil - you have to look at Baltimore sending Orlando Brown Jr to KC to see the going rate for LTs. It was Brown AND a 2nd for pick 31. So, I wouldn’t call a 2nd BAD value, but value that both sides would agree to with little debate (probably need a 4th in there). Tunsil is a better pass protector than Brown, but Brown is a better run blocker - so, take that for what you will.

I think it's realistic value - fans tend to overvalue their own guys and underestimate how much GMs value top 64 picks.

I get that but at 1-31 that’s basically a high 2nd rounder, and with a team like Cincy that has the pass game weapons, I think Tunsil would be worth it

16 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I get that but at 1-31 that’s basically a high 2nd rounder, and with a team like Cincy that has the pass game weapons, I think Tunsil would be worth it

Honestly - how is this any different than Baltimore/KC last season? Mahomes was running for his life in the playoffs/SB and it was very clear an overhaul was necessary. Brown was coming off an All Pro season at LT and basically forced the Ravens to trade him.

Where is the difference?

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Honestly - how is this any different than Baltimore/KC last season? Mahomes was running for his life in the playoffs/SB and it was very clear an overhaul was necessary. Brown was coming off an All Pro season at LT and basically forced the Ravens to trade him.

Where is the difference?

Orlando wanted a new contract as a LT... Ravens wanted to pay him as a RT IIRC (so it was basically a year rental)

Tunsil is locked up for 2 more years

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The tricky part with Orlando Brown is he had requested a trade/wanted out, wanted to play LT, and wanted to be paid like a LT. He was proven as a RT, but was a bit of a risk on the left side and was pretty vocal. We don't have to trade Tunsil if we don't want as we have 2 years left of team control. 1 year left with no chance of re-signing him? I'll take the 2nd then. As for Deshaun, the Dolphins were already willing to trade 3 1sts and a little more. We all know about the baggage, but he's a top 5 QB when he's playing that's also still only 26 years old. Whoever trades for him could get a franchise QB for the next 10 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Orlando wanted a new contract as a LT... Ravens wanted to pay him as a RT IIRC (so it was basically a year rental)

Tunsil is locked up for 2 more years

But Brown was coming off an All Pro season at LT (and never got that contract either). Tunsil is coming off a year where he missed nearly the entire season with a hand/thumb injury... so there's risk with that too, right?

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

But Brown was coming off an All Pro season at LT (and never got that contract either). Tunsil is coming off a year where he missed nearly the entire season with a hand/thumb injury... so there's risk with that too, right?

But was he really hurt tho and COULD NOT play or did his agent / Tunsil / & the Texans make a "business decision"?  Cuz I think it is the latter... he knew he was getting moved and the Texans didn't want him to hurt his trade value even more.

Edited by jch1911

7 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I'm glad you're not our GM because that's awful value on both players. 

If I was the GM I would try and get three 1sts minimum, but as someone that can say whatever they want without it have any real world effect, I don’t think we get more than that for either player. 

hope I’m wrong but time will tell. 

Filing this under “unexpected development

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/25/justin-reid-hiring-lovie-smith-a-tremendous-for-texans-not-opposed-to-re-signing/amp/

Honestly, it made a bigger impact than I would have thought it would have,” Reid said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I didn’t know he was in the running. I think it kind of caught everybody by surprise whenever they ended up hiring him. I think he’s more than qualified. He’s done it before, he’s been to a Super Bowl and he gets his guys to play hard for him. I don’t have anything against any of the other candidates, but I actually have a deep love and respect for coach Lovie Smith, his coaching philosophy, the way he’s able to get the best out of his players.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Filing this under “unexpected development

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/25/justin-reid-hiring-lovie-smith-a-tremendous-for-texans-not-opposed-to-re-signing/amp/

Honestly, it made a bigger impact than I would have thought it would have,” Reid said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I didn’t know he was in the running. I think it kind of caught everybody by surprise whenever they ended up hiring him. I think he’s more than qualified. He’s done it before, he’s been to a Super Bowl and he gets his guys to play hard for him. I don’t have anything against any of the other candidates, but I actually have a deep love and respect for coach Lovie Smith, his coaching philosophy, the way he’s able to get the best out of his players.”

If we could keep him then We would be better off 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...