Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

Really liked this quote on a pod from Sheil Kapadia:

”Quarterback competency has never been easier to find and it’s never matter less”. 

Okay doesn’t cut it. The floor has been raise in the league at the position but the ceilings been smashed. If you don’t have someone special, it’s pretty much doesn’t matter. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Really liked this quote on a pod from Sheil Kapadia:

”Quarterback competency has never been easier to find and it’s never matter less”. 

Okay doesn’t cut it. The floor has been raise in the league at the position but the ceilings been smashed. If you don’t have someone special, it’s pretty much doesn’t matter. 

Ehh.

While I dont entirely disagree, I wouldnt exactly call Matt Stafford "special".   And some special QBs dont make more than 1 or 2 SBs...if that.  

Bottom line....you need a good team around a QB, regardless of how good they are.    The better the QB, the more they can possibly compensate for...but there are typically no QBs, even great ones, winning rings with bad teams around them.    That's why I was so opposed to trading for an extremely expensive vet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 43M said:

Ehh.

While I dont entirely disagree, I wouldnt exactly call Matt Stafford "special".   And some special QBs dont make more than 1 or 2 SBs...if that.  

Bottom line....you need a good team around a QB, regardless of how good they are.    The better the QB, the more they can possibly compensate for...but there are typically no QBs, even great ones, winning rings with bad teams around them.    That's why I was so opposed to trading for an extremely expensive vet.

I agree with you but I also think it’s a little more amplified being in the AFC. We will be competing against Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, and Burrow for the next decade at least.

I think Stafford is right on the line of being “special”. His path to the SB was Kyler who had a complete meltdown and wasn’t ready for the moment, Brady with no weapons, Jimmy G, and then Burrow who is probably the least talented of the 4 AFC QBs mentioned. Either way, it was clear that he could do the things and make the throws needed to win that Jared Goff wasn’t. 

I think the biggest thing to look at with QBs is can he elevate everyone around him? Can he help mask run game deficiencies (Allen/Mahomes) or make things work with a mediocre O-Line (Burrow/Herbert)? Stafford turned Cooper Kupp into Jerry Rice. Diggs was completely unlocked by Allen. Burrow put a rookie WR on the all-pro team. You get the idea.

As Ben declined he turned JuJu into freaking Quincy Enunwa and has clearly hindered Claypool and DJ from taking the next step. The only QBs available that fit this criteria are Deshaun Watson and potentially Malik Willis. If we miss on both of those you might as well pack it in and wait for 2023.

• Like 1

Strafford makes some bone headed plays at times.  He has a great team around him. I have not seem him carry the team to victory. 

Stafford did not make Kupp.  Kupp was one of the best WR before Stafford got there but Stafford is worlds better than Groff.

I saw an interesting fact this morning, despite the length of time he’s been here, Colbert has NEVER drafted an OT in the first round. I can understand that over a short term, but dudes been in an executive position with us since 2000 and GM for 12 years. Our last first round OT was in 1996 (Jamain Stephens). No wonder it seems like we’re always looking for one…

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

DJ prevented DJ from taking the next step. 

Definitely, but I think Ben/playcalling didn't help either. DJ needs to cook on intermediate stuff. He's not Ryan Switzer or Wes Welker. He doesn't need to be taking shots by linebackers 3 yards in front of the LOS every route. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Definitely, but I think Ben/playcalling didn't help either. DJ needs to cook on intermediate stuff. He's not Ryan Switzer or Wes Welker. He doesn't need to be taking shots by linebackers 3 yards in front of the LOS every route. 

He’s also looking to break off every catch for a big one and starts running/looking before seeing the ball into his hands. 

Just now, warfelg said:

He’s also looking to break off every catch for a big one and starts running/looking before seeing the ball into his hands. 

Which might be also because he's looking to see if he's about to get his head taken off. I'm not saying DJ's drops aren't primarily on him, I'm just saying the constant short stuff didn't help.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

That was what the playbook called for...other than the not looking the ball into his hands.