Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

The risk was $3.25 million(over 2 years)...the upside was a good run blocking starting RT on the cheap compared to the rest of the NFL.

Totally disagree with the risk that his 1.5% of the teams total cap hit outweighed getting a potential starting RT.

Ignore the money part. A guy who was going to have no market at all got paid while injured and known to fight weight battles. Not a good move. Could have waited and see what else was available first. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ignore the money part. A guy who was going to have no market at all got paid while injured and known to fight weight battles. Not a good move. Could have waited and see what else was available first. 

I’m not going to ignore the $$$ part cause that’s part of the reason it wasn’t a bad risk. We don’t know why he isn’t ready yet...it could be a weight/motivation type issue but that’s why the contract was structured that way...mostly fluff in the 2nd year.

We don’t know what his market was.

14 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’m not going to ignore the $$$ part cause that’s part of the reason it wasn’t a bad risk. We don’t know why he isn’t ready yet...it could be a weight/motivation type issue but that’s why the contract was structured that way...mostly fluff in the 2nd year.

We don’t know what his market was.

The contract wasn’t structured like that because of those reasons, it is because of what little space we had. It’s why we have a ton of dead cap accelerating next year. 

And it was a bad risk. But whatever. I guess I’m broke. Greatest team ever. Y’all are fooling yourselves on this continued crap of it being ok. And wonder why we can’t win. We got terrible asset management. 

And honestly some of this is just turning into a joke to me that it’s becoming suddenly bad to ask more parts of this team to be better. 

No matter how much you paid a guy coming off injury it’s a risk because he’s coming off injury. 

We used to be the team that would let guys hit the market and let them walk if it was too high. We don’t do that anymore and it’s a big part of the problem. If someone wanted to outbid us on Banner then good for them. We won’t know because we didn’t let that happen. 

We used to be awesome at letting guys go slightly too early as opposed to waiting. Now we hand on to them too long and wait to think about what’s next until after they are gone. Having Villy, DDC, and Pouncey all over 30 and thinking you didn’t need to look to the future? Like that’s stuff we used to make fun of other teams for. 

The reason I’m so hot on this depth thing is because it’s a reflection of the failures of putting together a roster. Hell we put together an OL “planned” of a guy who hasn’t taken LT snaps and was seen as a bust (Okorafor), a 3rd rounder who just had a decent rookie season at a different OG spot, a 3rd round rookie who never played center more than a few snaps, a 33 year old guard who had been declining, and a guy with weight problems coming off knee surgery. Are we all that shock that plan didn’t work out?!? It’s like saying you want to make brisket out of flank steak and wonder why you ended up having to order chicken. Hell even before the offseason began some of you defending this mess of a line were saying Dotson should be the only one back. But they planned on returning 4 of them and that was good?!?

Sometimes I wonder how many years it will take until people see the light. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And it was a bad risk. But whatever. I guess I’m broke. Greatest team ever. Y’all are fooling yourselves on this continued crap of it being ok. And wonder why we can’t win. We got terrible asset management. 

This is pretty petty, man.    Lets not equate believing Banner was worth the risk to turning a blind eye to all of our issues.

I was never sold on Banner, but our OL options were limited after losing our entire starting line in offseason, so I understand the logic.   The cap space was limited and they were trying to retain someone they were familiar with.   With the limited cap space, it was unlikely we were going to get anything notably better.

I dont necessarily blame them for taking a chance on him, but I also think he was another player in a long list of players overhyped by Steeler fans based on a very limited sample size.

10 minutes ago, 43M said:

This is pretty petty, man.    Lets not equate believing Banner was worth the risk to turning a blind eye to all of our issues.

I was never sold on Banner, but our OL options were limited after losing our entire starting line in offseason, so I understand the logic.   The cap space was limited and they were trying to retain someone they were familiar with.   With the limited cap space, it was unlikely we were going to get anything notably better.

I dont necessarily blame them for taking a chance on him, but I also think he was another player in a long list of players overhyped by Steeler fans based on a very limited sample size.

It’s not just the one thing though. It’s all of it. The “it’s ok to do this”. The “oh just create more dead cap the next year”. The “our backups are bad because plan a was bad and didn’t work.” 

I don’t blame them for taking the risk, I’m vary against how they took the risk in bidding against themselves before knowing what the market was. Like, what it he didn’t get an offer and came back at the minimum? Could we have put a little extra into a swing tackle in case he wasn’t ready? Maybe. 

And it’s not the only place. Look at ILB. Bush wasn’t ready but they counted on him. Cut VWill them didn’t try to replace him, then resigned him. Drafted Buddy Johnson. Retained Spillane. What the heck was the plan if VWill signed elsewhere? Like, I don’t think it took foresight to see ILB was about to be a problem. 

Don’t even get me started on how they created a problem in the secondary themselves that didn’t need to be created. Or how moving Ebrons money later when you know he wasn’t long for this team was just dumb. 

16 hours ago, warfelg said:

The contract wasn’t structured like that because of those reasons, it is because of what little space we had. It’s why we have a ton of dead cap accelerating next year. 

It’s ok we disagree...life will go on. If you wanna get this mad over this go ahead.

We”re gonna agree and disagree on issues going forward.

I’m not mad about anything. It’s honestly kinda funny to me you think I am. It’s that a few feel it’s ok to hide behind statements like “it was only $X” as if that makes a bad decision ok. And these things compound. 

Being fine with them spending money in useless ways is a great way to be ok not winning a SB. Just think, some of you are ok with perpetually not being able to use 10% of the cap. 

Take this Banner situation. We signed him before finding out market value. A guy coming off an ACL. And they planned on him being a starter with 2Q of game tape to decide he was the best option. Like, you don’t need hindsight to know that was gonna be a bad idea. I called for a min deal at best for him. To me retorting with how much it was has nothing to do with if it was a good idea. 

Here’s something I would encourage some of y’all to do. Look at the cap sheets of the last 10+ SB champs. Tell me how often you see big restructures. How much dead money you see. It’s not about value deals. It’s about maximizing cap space. We have not been able to do that in a really long time. 

M.Canada needs to go. He's just not the answer.

I think you need new ideas that are designed around
our talent (N.Harris, C.Claypool, D.Johnson, P.Freiermuth).
That includes a new OL coach and at least one FA stud to go
with draft picks, but the entire offense needs rethinking/rebuilding.

Yes, the D needs help up the guts (DL, ILB) too, but I don't think
they'll let Butler go, just yet.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, warfelg said:

And honestly some of this is just turning into a joke to me that it’s becoming suddenly bad to ask more parts of this team to be better. 

No matter how much you paid a guy coming off injury it’s a risk because he’s coming off injury. 

We used to be the team that would let guys hit the market and let them walk if it was too high. We don’t do that anymore and it’s a big part of the problem. If someone wanted to outbid us on Banner then good for them. We won’t know because we didn’t let that happen. 

We used to be awesome at letting guys go slightly too early as opposed to waiting. Now we hand on to them too long and wait to think about what’s next until after they are gone. Having Villy, DDC, and Pouncey all over 30 and thinking you didn’t need to look to the future? Like that’s stuff we used to make fun of other teams for. 

The reason I’m so hot on this depth thing is because it’s a reflection of the failures of putting together a roster. Hell we put together an OL “planned” of a guy who hasn’t taken LT snaps and was seen as a bust (Okorafor), a 3rd rounder who just had a decent rookie season at a different OG spot, a 3rd round rookie who never played center more than a few snaps, a 33 year old guard who had been declining, and a guy with weight problems coming off knee surgery. Are we all that shock that plan didn’t work out?!? It’s like saying you want to make brisket out of flank steak and wonder why you ended up having to order chicken. Hell even before the offseason began some of you defending this mess of a line were saying Dotson should be the only one back. But they planned on returning 4 of them and that was good?!?

Sometimes I wonder how many years it will take until people see the light. 

I gave up on this regime getting the OL right.  Many here would bench okorafor for Banner.  Just one example in recent times, but  there have been others over the years. Green has been solid, as had Turner, nothing special maybe because the unit has lacked continuity and aren't getting help from the rest of the team either. 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I gave up on this regime getting the OL right.  Many here would bench okorafor for Banner.  Just one example in recent times, but  there have been others over the years. Green has been solid, as had Turner, nothing special maybe because the unit has lacked continuity and aren't getting help from the rest of the team either. 

Turner has been our highest graded OL player. 

As for Banner, we don’t know what’s going on in the facility. Maybe he’s practicing bad. Maybe every time he tries to go he gets knee pain. Maybe he’s overweight. I’d like to see him go but like Buddy there’s likely something we can’t see going on. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Turner has been our highest graded OL player. 

As for Banner, we don’t know what’s going on in the facility. Maybe he’s practicing bad. Maybe every time he tries to go he gets knee pain. Maybe he’s overweight. I’d like to see him go but like Buddy there’s likely something we can’t see going on. 

and it's not the first time something like this has happened here with he OL. Where is Finney anyways?

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

If they move Chuks to LT you will see an improvement.

At this point, they need to put Rudolph in there and play out the year.  But they will not.

okorafor might be better at LT, how do you know this ? Mason won't get the start, but agree they should but it's too late anyways.  Colbert is going to leave this team in bad shape moving forward for whoever takes over .Thats nice of him